Insulin
Reactions: 4 people

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Rosie
Just noticed this response I noticed that you are in South Wales, I don't know whereabouts but if you are in RCT the diabetes centre at the royal glam are brilliant if you are covered by them give them a ring

Sent from my iPad
I'm in port talbot unfortunately but thank you :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just don't understand why this is so difficult. The clinical nurse down the diabetic clinic told me there is no such thing as being able to do half units with novorapid. I told my doctor about the novopen echo and he seemed flustered and said he couldn't find it in his book and said that they don't deal with pen changes so I should contact the clinic.

I don't want to phone the clinic again and tell the nurse she is wrong. I also don't want to go back to the doctors again to tell him that he is wrong. My own dsn should be back in work the end of this week so maybe I will try calling her and try to find out why I can't just have one! It's just surprising me that none of them know about this!

iHs

You can sometimes get the pens on ebay. You wont be able to get the cartridges though.
What a half unit pen will enable you to do is fine tune yr insulin to the carb you are eating and the ratio you use. My ratio is 1u to 8g so if I ate 30g I could inject 3.5u instead of 3 or 4u. 4u could well make me go low whereas 3u will make me go the other way. Everyone can benefit from a half unit pen and you dont need to be sensitive either

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Rosie,

Don't get one on eBay and with all respect to the person who offered you one don't get one second hand from here.

Your GP and nurse are wrong as is the clinic nurse - that link that Cherry-Pie posted shows that.

I think you need to go back to your GP but if he has said it has to come from the clinic then you'll need to call them again and politely say that you have friends who use them and they recommend them so could she check again.

I use a Novopen Echo by the way too and they are good things.

This doesn't inspire much confidence in the quality of your care if they can't even cope with this sort of question!

Best

Dillinger.

Reactions: 2 people

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
So I'm left with a useless lump of metal, the size and weight of a small gun, the value of which someone in some parts of the world might live off for a month.

I don't like to throw things away when they look like they should have a use.

Some 21st Century we're having!

Anyone over 50 will remember The Clangers.

I'm sure they'd be able to make use of the stupid thing - and its stupid 'purse', which I wouldn't be seen dead carrying around.

Edit: ... which I wouldn't be seen dead with.

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I just don't understand why this is so difficult. The clinical nurse down the diabetic clinic told me there is no such thing as being able to do half units with novorapid. I told my doctor about the novopen echo and he seemed flustered and said he couldn't find it in his book and said that they don't deal with pen changes so I should contact the clinic.

I don't want to phone the clinic again and tell the nurse she is wrong. I also don't want to go back to the doctors again to tell him that he is wrong. My own dsn should be back in work the end of this week so maybe I will try calling her and try to find out why I can't just have one! It's just surprising me that none of them know about this!

iHs give you the PIP Codes earlier in the thread, if you give them to your gp it should come up on their system, just a reminder what the PIP Codes were for the Echo:

Novopen Echo Blue PIP code 368 7076
Novopen Echo Red PIP code 368 7365

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am also Insulin Sensitive and use only 1 or 2 units Novorapid. Might ask GP who is the Diabetes 'expert' to issue me with the Novo Echo - think that's right. Diagnosed 1 year ago following Partial Pancreatectomy in 2009.