Not coping

victry77

Hi Kelly
I know where you are coming from on the emotional side of things.
I collapsed when I was told I had type 1 diabetes. I hated everything and everyone. I searched and searched for something or someone to blame.
But there was nothing, there was no-one.
No-one in my family has ever had any form of diabetes, it was down to my diet.

Developing T1 diabetes has nothing whatsoever to do with what your diet was like previously, though. I do hope that is something you're aware of, because it's very important. Nothing about it has been your fault.

Nottslad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Victry77,

Sorry typo in the worst place!
Was meant to put "....it wasn't down to my diet either"
Sorry at work at the moment and bored waiting for my manager so thought id log on and post away as was suddenly distracted by another colleague!

Dzialo

Hi kellyd, me too I'm in that situation depressed but what I do is i'm trying to find things or people that make me happy and keep them close, so try that

victry77

Hi Victry77,

Sorry typo in the worst place!
Was meant to put "....it wasn't down to my diet either"
Sorry at work at the moment and bored waiting for my manager so thought id log on and post away as was suddenly distracted by another colleague!

No worries, I though you were blaming yourself for a minute there :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think you would benefit from some counselling via your GP. Can I check what type of insulin pen you are using? I use the smallest 4mm needle available and it's completely painless most of the time. Are you also using this minimal needle size? Is the problem having some pain from the needles or is it just the psychological aspect of injecting?

Mimastones

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Hi i found out im march last year i was type1 & im not coping with it at all im depressed about the situation what can i do
Hi Kelly, Hun I'm so sorry to hear that you're not coping. But well done for having the strength to admit it. I couldn't handle my diagnosis but spent years suffering in silence which did not help, i went into total self destruct mode.

A few bits of advice:
1. DO NOT STOP MANAGING YOUR DIABETES. this will only make you feel worse and lead to complications later in life that will only fill you with regret.
2. tell your diabetic team. it's not weakness admitting to not coping it is strength. they will be able to put a support network in place and put you in touch with the right people.
3. tell you're nearest and dearest. They will want to help you, they love you and just want you to be happy.

good luck xxxxxxxxxxx

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Hi Kellyd,

You know you say you have a fear of needles. (I like what Totto wrote on the previous page - very funny!)

But can you manage okay - or just about okay - with doing a blood-sugar test?

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are not polite/ have no manners
Sorry Kelly, I lost your thread and so have not replied for a couple of days.
For most of us it's a huge shock when you get diagnosed, I like to think of it as a grieving period (and that's exactly what I did). Don't be afraid to ask questions or talk to people, your nearest and dearest are probably wanting to talk to you about it.
You are always welcome to message me if you want to talk or just need a rant.
The best thing I can say is from personal experience 14 months from when I was diagnosed it's still frustrating but when I think about how sick I was before being diagnosed compared to now, I can't help but be grateful for my injections.