DaveTheRave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cauliflower
Hi all,

I would just like to know if any type 1s out there are or have struggled with the pen and have you gone on to use a pump? If so how are u findin it? I am struggling on the pen, I need all different ratios for what I am doing (my days range from working hard all day on a manual job on weekdays to sitting in front of the playstation all day Sundays) and I just find it a real pain to be honest so would like to hear views of others?

Cheers, Dave

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'll 'bump' your post up the forum in the hope you get some replies Dave.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I love my pump. I dread it breaking or having to go back to needles/pens.
I have physical job and used to get DP but my life has transformed due to this pump

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I second Donnellysdogs. Life is considerably better with a pump

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, a pump literally changes your life. More energy, much better control, more freedom with regards to food (I now regularly 'skip' meals). A pump doesn't suit everyone though, you need to have the dedication to constantly make alterations in the early days and be willing to test up to 10 times a day while getting to grips with it. Some people don't like to be attached to something 24/7 - personally I don't notice it any more (unless I wake up in the morning with a pump sized dent from laying on it!!)

natalie1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi all,

I would just like to know if any type 1s out there are or have struggled with the pen and have you gone on to use a pump? If so how are u findin it? I am struggling on the pen, I need all different ratios for what I am doing (my days range from working hard all day on a manual job on weekdays to sitting in front of the playstation all day Sundays) and I just find it a real pain to be honest so would like to hear views of others?

Cheers, Dave
Hi dave asked my nurse about a pump as my type 1is way out of control she confused me by saying i would still have to inject fast acting insulin with food which im sure cant be correct as pump administers fast insulin so im confused what do you think

DaveTheRave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cauliflower
Its my understanding that the pump gives fast acting insulin suchas novorapid continuously and slowly to manage background levels and u input carb information to give extra at meal times - no injections.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's right. In a pump there is just quick acting insulin. This is drip-fed through every 2 or 3 mins at a calculated rate (basal rate) per hour - this is usually around 1 unit per hour. It is the ability to alter this rate from one minute to the next that makes a pump so appealing e.g. if you are going to take exercise you can temporarily reduce your basal rate so your bg doesn't drop, or if you are prone to night hypos you have the ability to set a lower basal rate for specific times at night.

The quick acting insulin is also given as a bolus every time you eat. The pump is programmed (with the help of your dsn/pump rep) with your insulin/carb ratios so providing you know how to count carbs correctly the pump will tell you how much bolus is needed.

It's a marvellous piece of kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people