Mimastones

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Hi folks,

I've recently been switched from amitriptyline to pregabalin to treat some mild neuropathy (patchy sunburn feeling on my skin) I was on amitriptyline for a month but felt horrible due to the side effects, I had no energy, muscle cramps, dizziness and just a general feeling of being not myself and not quite right. I felt like this was getting worst rather than better and wasn't really dealing with the pain.

I went to my gp a week ago and she switched me onto pregabalin. After a week on this I wish I had stuck with the amitriptyline. All the same side effects are there but 10 times worse. I have been breaking down in tears several times a day due to how awful the drug is making me feel. I have lost my appetite entirely and am suffering from horrible insomnia.

It's all getting too much. I am in my final year of Uni but have missed several weeks worth due to feeling unwell. I have so much work to do but cannot get my brain to focus.

Does anyone know if this will get better? Is this normal? Do the side effects go away?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

C

catherinecherub

Hi,

I will bump your post up to see if others on pain killers can help. I wonder if the doses are too high for you as some people can only tolerate a small dose before these symptoms appear and make their life so miserable.

Take care.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hi hunni,
i take this for m.e/fibro,what dose are you on?

brianalmond

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I to was on amitriptyline for very bad neuropathy pains in my feet,especially at night.As you say it did not agree with me(dizziness,blurred vision feeling dopey,nothing new according to my son!).I told the doc and she changed me to Gabapentin. Holy **** that was even worse, seeing flashing lights,dots,etc.Doc then put me on same as you Pregabalin,,up to now after 2 weeks i find them the best,still a bit dopey though in the morning.I,ll tell you something else, the doc said she had tried the other two first under nhs guidlines .Apparently these are the last to be prescribed as they are the most expensive £65 for one months supply(checked it out on,t tinternet!).All that I can advise is take them at night and a strong coffee in the morning.Oh and they have eased my painful feet.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
I was same, i would ask to start on 25mg and slowly work your way up,
i still can only take 50/75mg a time