Just found out I am pregnant

carlylou2688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am in need of some advice please

This weekend I have found out I am pregnant!

I am type 1 and I will be contacting my diabetes consultant on Monday so I can be put under the care of the diabetes pregnancy clinic. Does anyone know if I also need to contact my GP/midwife service as well to cover all of the usual appointments "normal non diabetic" people have or if it all comes under the care of the diabetes pregnancy clinic?

Thanks

Carly

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I contacted my GP who arranged my midwife appt and the rest followed. I'm sure whoever ur first point of contact is, they will arrange the appt's u need!!! Congratulations!! :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

samtov

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Congratulations!! I contacted my gp, but the receptionist said they needed me to do a urine sample to confirm I was pregnant this actually took a week and a half due to a boarderline reading and had to retest. Then to book in to see the doctor was an extra week, luckily I rang the diabetic nurse and she sorted everything out for me. By the time I went to see my gp he didn't have anything extra to say to me as I had already been seen by the diabetic doc and doesn't need to see me at all during my pregnancy, because I am being seen at the hospital. X

carlylou2688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your replies. I am going to ring my consultant tomorrow and see what they advise. My gp surgery is pretty useless so hoping I can just be looked after by the hospital

fig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yay congratulations, just go straight to your diabetes clinic as they will do all your midwife appointments at the same time as your diabetes checks, well mine did anyway. I never went to my own doctors during either pregnancy or saw my local midwife but its a good idea to at least have one appointment with her if you can as you will see her for the few weeks after your baby is born.

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(
Hi Carly
I told the diabetes team who took my word for it that I was pregnant. They got me into the hospital the following week. I asked whether I needed to contact my GP and they suggested I should so that I could see the Community Midwife but this totally confused my GP surgery because according to them I'd done it the wrong way round! Anyway the CM and I have communicated via voicemail and basically she's happy for me to be seen at the hospital and that I have her number if I need it!
I'm guessing when I went for my first antenatal appt they did a pregnancy test although I had a scan at the same time too (6 weeks) which confirmed pregnancy anyway.
Good luck with your pregnancy :)

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you've got an appointment sorted. It's really important to start taking a higher dose of folic acid which can only be prescribed by the dr so you must sort this ASAP if possible as sometimes it can take a while to get into the diabetes pregnancy team if your waiting for messages to go back and forth. Try and keep your blood levels between 4-5.9 as much as possible too xx

carlylou2688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:)Thanks for your replies. My husband and I had been trying to get pregnant for 2 years so have been on the higher dose of folic acid for a while. I called my consultants secretary yesterday who is getting the diabetes pregnancy team to contact me with an appointment for hopefully next week. I have been doing lots of testing and trying to keep my sugars as good as possible.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Very sorry! Huge hug! Take care! :(

bob-b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congrats to you.. Have you heard of stem cell banking? Since you're type1 I'd strongly recommend you to go through with it.. Ask your doc about it..

daniellem94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am so sorry to hear that, i just found out today that i am pregnant, i am 19 and my diet is really bad so i was wondering if i could get some advice on eating healthier? i have bought apple juice for lows, cereal bars for snacks and i am not eating chocolate, crisps, cheese or chips!