Insulin therapy....what's it like?

manolakis81

I am a 4th year medical student doing a research project on diabetics and their experiences on starting insulin and the difficulties they came across using it and how they over came it. If anyone out there can share their story with me...it would give me a great insight into the issue surrounding this treatment option.
Please help me out.
Thanks
Prita

seabill

Hi Prita

Congratulations on your choice of research.

I was diagnosed on 04/07/08 at the age of 46.

Mind you the Doctor in the local A & E said I was Type 2
DSN said I was Type 1.
As I was lying on a hospital bed and dealing with a Doctor for the first time in
30 years.............

DSN actually came to my house begging me to return to hospital and go straight on insulin.

If you want the full story, please reply.

Seabill

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya ,
im willing to help, what exactly do u need to know??

Steg

Hi, I have been Type 1 diabetuic for 38 years and can still remember the fear when at 9 years old, I was bluntly told by a Doctor that I would need lots of injections.
I had a very good liaison sister who sat with me and taught me how to inject in to an orange, then I got to eat it.We then moved on to my legs and then my arms. It was many years before I had the courage to inject in to my stomach or bum/hip. I inject 4 times a day with a novo-pen. I would rcomend this method to any new diabetic and would stress the importance of following the rules. I still enjoy sailing, I have travelled abroad and followed a pretty normal life with just a few restrictions.
Hope this helps.