Feeling a bit overwhelmed

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are not polite/ have no manners
I was diagnosed just over a year ago. I had lost about 6 stone in about 4 months, had very high Ketones and hb1ac was off the doctors scale. After 6 months I had my next HB1Ac results and had got them down to 48. I was really proud untill I my doctor told me off about my weight. I had put 4 stone back on (yes I know a lot) I had been struggling with Hypo's (about 8 most days) and not understanding how to carb count was over eating to treat the hypos. I came away from the appointment in tears because the majority of the conversation was really rude about how i could have put on so much weight.
The last time I went to my GP about a chest infection I was told that I had to keep my eye on my cholesterol (which was in normal range, just on the higher side and had come down since I was diagnosed). I now don't really know what to concentrate on, I just can't focus on losing weight, keeping control of my diabetes and lowering my cholesterol.

At the moment I am putting off seeing my consultant as I just can't deal with being criticised at the moment. I know that I haven't lost any weight as my Mum died 4 months ago and what I had lost I have since put back on just due to comfort eating, and trying to make sure I don't go too low (emotion really messes up my BG).
On top of that my sister has just been diagnosed diabetic and I am her main support system, my partner has had to go into hospital twice with chest problems.

I know that this is not a healthy way of dealing with things but I know my HB1ac will be higher than my last one and just can't deal with another blow.

Sorry for the rant but just getting it all out has helped me feel a bit less like i am drowning.
Any advice would be really helpful, thanks

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello.

I'm Type 2 so can't really offer advice about the diabetes, but I think you do need to talk about these issues with a Nurse or someone at the Diabetes clinic; you need knowledge and a calmer approach.
I feel for you with all this going on and do understand comfort eating only too well.
I'm sure someone on here will offer better advice, but do feel free to "rant". We'll stop you drowning!

Best wishes,
Jane.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Sorry, but going to blunt. Ask your consultant/Dr what he want's you to concentrate on first, as you concentrate on one, you will find it easier to be concentrated on the others, really press what he wants lowered first. As making you feel bad will only effect you. I had app years back with a Dr, not a consultant, I had my insulin changed a day before and he kept me waiting for 3hrs after my app time. Went in and he said this and that and I went I had my insulin changed, so effects won't show, I've always been told diabetes dosen't rule my life, but keeping me waiting for 3hrs after shows you think it does. He didn't like that after that I changed Dr's at my hospital.

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks Julie 1471. I did point out to my consultant at that appointment that I needed to focus on my blood sugar and then once i felt confident I could think about losing the weight. Explained that I would make sure that I would not put on any more etc. Her reply was "when it comes to your health, it is not an either or situation".
Would ask to swap consultants but as I am in a rural area it would mean traveling to a different hospital 45 mins to an hour away. I hate taking time off work and the hospital I am at at the moment means I can finish teaching and get their before they close.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I don't mean to be nasty here, but I travel 2 and hours to my hospital and 2 and a half back from where I live on the South East Coast and Kings where I travel to from Broadstairs are very accommodating with appointments. I also work in a school, which will allow you time of for hospital appointments. I also have to take my 2 kids out of school for appointments, but my new team work round my term times for appointments. So it can be done. So 45mins to an hour would be a breeze for me.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think you need to be calm and collected about this if you can. First, forget the cholesterol at the moment. Next you are obviously eating too many carbs and they need to be reduced. To avoid resulting hypos you must work our how to carb count. I assume you are on Basal/Bolus regime? If so, get the Basal right first by aiming for 5-7 mmol in the morning and adjusting gradually as needed over several days monitoring your blood sugar along the way. When that is in the right region ensure you match the Bolus insulin to the carb count in the meal. You may already know all this but something needs tweaking. Do ask your DN for guidance along the way and come back with more questions. Now, I know it's easy for me to say all the above, but if you can take the right steps gradually both weight and blood sugar will reduce without many/any hypos? After that you can discuss cholesterol which means deciding whether to take statins or not!

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks Daibell
Since my last consultant appointment I have gone a course to carb count (I was not allowed to until I had gone on the course). My blood sugar on the whole is pretty steady at the moment - between 5-9 (More worried about how high it was, and the impact on my HB1AC).
I think I am going to try making a food diary over the next couple of weeks, check the amount of carbs I am eating as I don't think I am eating large amounts of carbs (I must be - perhaps portion size?)
Julie 1471, I don't think you were being rude and I understand that 45 mins drive would probably be a dream for you. However, i do not want to give diabetes that much control of my life. My school would have no problem with giving me time off for an appoinment but I draw the line at it having an impact on my job. I would rather put up with a rude consultant than feel it was taking over my job. All about personal choice.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sheepareevil, I travel so my diabetes doesn't get that hold, I've been diabetic for years and the teams in my area always said try this 6 months or less it hasn't worked so try this. I got fed up up with being a guinea pig for their trails, that didn't help. You really need to think long and hard as to weather you are getting the best advice and care. Which is why I am prepaired to travel,
I got promised a pump in my area and had, had the carrot offered but never given. Got offered an app at Kings first app told a pump a month later got one and pumping. Tbh I think you need to think about what is best for you, stress from Dr/consult that you are with now. Or a change with a new out look and and better advice and less stress = better results for you. That's what I did, I have the odd blip, but I''m 100% better, in my life and my family's life. Send my results weekly to my DSN at Kings(reminds me I need to send, so changes made via email). I had an app in February during week of and next app Easter week of so 5 hrs during that time equates to nothing as still being paid during weeks of in the school year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Thanks Daibell
Since my last consultant appointment I have gone a course to carb count (I was not allowed to until I had gone on the course). My blood sugar on the whole is pretty steady at the moment - between 5-9 (More worried about how high it was, and the impact on my HB1AC).
I think I am going to try making a food diary over the next couple of weeks, check the amount of carbs I am eating as I don't think I am eating large amounts of carbs (I must be - perhaps portion size?)
Julie 1471, I don't think you were being rude and I understand that 45 mins drive would probably be a dream for you. However, i do not want to give diabetes that much control of my life. My school would have no problem with giving me time off for an appoinment but I draw the line at it having an impact on my job. I would rather put up with a rude consultant than feel it was taking over my job. All about personal choice.
You really have been through the mill recently so I think you need to stop beating yourself up. The chances are, if you focus on the weight the bs will come down and so will the cholestrol. You've had a set back but you can't change the past - only the present. I understand how hard it is to take time off in our profession but if you become sick due to putting yourself last you will not be helping your students or the school. If you took yourself out of the situation and were offering advice to a friend you might well recommend that they change hospitals. The guy sounds like a moron with the emotional intelligence of a piece of paper. If he makes you cry then he is being unprofessional. Imagine the response if you behaved in that manner towards a parent! Why don't you go back to the diet where you lost all that weight - you did an outstanding job! If you can do it once, you can do it again. Take care - big hug :)

Reactions: 2 people

Marfmama

I was going to say something similar as above, it seems overwhelming but taking control of blood sugar will in turn help weight loss surely? .. there are some.great low carb recipe books that even have meal planners in the front advising what tp eat for each meal over a few weeks - quite nice if you dont want have the mental energy to keep thinking of what to eat! I know what you mean about taking time off, I was offered a place on a carb counting coursr when I was still In liverpool but turned it down as I didnt want to take time off work, then I moved to goole and wasnt offered the course here - I wish I had taken the course in liverpool, sometimes you just have to give yourself permission to put yourself first.
I think controlling your bs will also give you more energy to take on the challenges ahead, I thought I was a "good" diabetic until I started properly testing 8 times a day - since I improvedy diet I feel like my mental health has improved, I dont feel as overwhelmed by simple tasks anymore.. I believe this feeling of being overwhelmed is a side effect of depression, I got veru depressed after my son was born and the thought of having tp get dressed and leave the house was just too much - I recognised the same behaviour in myswlf witj the way I had been treating my diabetes, I couldn't even find time.to pick up a repeat prescription.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was going to say something similar as above, it seems overwhelming but taking control of blood sugar will in turn help weight loss surely? .. there are some.great low carb recipe books that even have meal planners in the front advising what tp eat for each meal over a few weeks - quite nice if you dont want have the mental energy to keep thinking of what to eat! I know what you mean about taking time off, I was offered a place on a carb counting coursr when I was still In liverpool but turned it down as I didnt want to take time off work, then I moved to goole and wasnt offered the course here - I wish I had taken the course in liverpool, sometimes you just have to give yourself permission to put yourself first.
I think controlling your bs will also give you more energy to take on the challenges ahead, I thought I was a "good" diabetic until I started properly testing 8 times a day - since I improvedy diet I feel like my mental health has improved, I dont feel as overwhelmed by simple tasks anymore.. I believe this feeling of being overwhelmed is a side effect of depression, I got veru depressed after my son was born and the thought of having tp get dressed and leave the house was just too much - I recognised the same behaviour in myswlf witj the way I had been treating my diabetes, I couldn't even find time.to pick up a repeat prescription.

Hope you feel better now! How old is your little boy? I have 2 girls - 6 and 9! I remember those days of interrupted sleep! And all those cuddles! Although mine still give me loads - lol!

Marfmama

My son will be four In april - im fine now! When he was tiny I got very down, mainly through lack of sleep and feeling isolated as I didnt have any mum friends so spent too much time in the house alone! When he was 11 months old I trained as a breastfeeding peer supporter and then a volunteer doula which turned things around for me!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
We don't have that many friends with young children - just a couple! My eldest was 11 weeks premie and so we only just got her out of the baby unit and I had to go back to work. 10 months later, she managed to hook a DVD controller through the handle of a coffee cup on a table which she couldn't reach by hand and scald herself. We spent a week in the burns unit at Salisbury which was the worst moment of my life. I can honestly say I have never felt so low! However, she is totally wonderful and brought us much happiness! She is 9 on Wednesday!