Abdominal Fat

GlazedDoughnuts

Hi all,

I've lost 3 stones in the space of a year, w00t! Anyway, abdominal fat is a right ******* to shift...

My calorific intake is 14 kcal/lbs. I lift weights, partake in Martial Arts, walk a lot, so pretty active. Thyroid is in check, as it testosterone, so no hormonal issues, more so genetic pre-disposition to holding abdominal fat I guess.

Any tips out there? I've spent a year cutting (weight, not arms - that's lame) but it seems I hit a plateau, when weight decreases, so does strength despite protein/kcals/carbs/insulin being in check. I literally lost half my strength in terms of lifting weights, so recently, decided to up my calories and put on some muscle and strength - it's working.

But I really want to shift abdominal fat, happy to go back on a cut, but was wondering if any of the fitness lot has any advice to offer?
I guess this is more aimed towards supplement use, as the rest is in check, so I need to push past that limit/barrier.

ECA stack isn't an option, no stimulants what so ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Without being funny but genuine question..Are you sure it is abdo fat not muscle.
Also you talk of calories have you thought about kicking them and just watching carbs fat protein?

GlazedDoughnuts

Hi All.

Cath, cheers for the bump.

Mud Island, there is definitely some fat covering them sweet abs! :( I can just see the outline on the side, but defo fat. A part of me wonders if it's skin too. I've gone from 13 stone 4 to 9 stone 10lbs, in a year, so do wonder if it may also be some loose skin :( But with that said, I definitely do not see vains unless I'm in the middle of a set lifting weights, so this suggests I'm no where next to 10% bf yet.

As for counting grams of C, P & F - Can you explain that one to me? I've done Keto diets before, not a fat at all. Just if I just counted ratios, in theory I could eat 8000kcal and just Bolus for it, but I don't think that would be of much help to me :(

Bluetit - I don't drink often, admittedly when I do, I drink a lot more than I should, but this happens once every two months, sometimes once a month. And usually it's spirits only, sugared mixers and no Insulin.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Sorry on that l am t2 but lot t1 are lchf abd am sure they can explain.

l advise you to do a better check get some fat calipers and do a pinch test on youself....looking in a mirror isnt the best way to check. The gym should have calipers. Also get someone to check you out to see if it is fat or skin or what.

Are you doing the correct abdo excercises? if at a gym get them to show you some or more variety of abdo excercises

l also think possibly you need to be careful you are not heading for a problem as you are becoming obbsessive over a small area.

Last edited by a moderator:

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cycling for at least 30 mins per day should do the trick. You dont loose fat on the abs by doing abdominal excercises. You just develop the ab muscles.
Stay away from dairy and alcohol for a while. Its just cardio cardio cardio and what I found helped was doing some cardio in the evenings too. I train in the mornings but if I want to shift abdominal fat, I do another 10 mins high impact cardio in the evening too.

Reactions: 2 people

GlazedDoughnuts

Mud - Defo fat. If I tense my abs I can feel them so they exist too!

Omnipod, thanks, I've uppsed my game at the gym, more compound exercises more frequently, on days where it's not compound happy I'll do early morning cardio.

On top of that, I've got two martial arts session a week, which is pretty cardio intense, the most simplest of kicks turn into a case of moving the body in unison.

I guess I'll add some Green Tea Extract into the mix, more fibre, less carbs and more protein.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Look l don't like to be rude.. but l am aching enough as it is would you 2 please stop being so happy fit at least groan in some pain to make me feel better...grumble moan taken me years to get this bad now my PT and running ins are killing me getting me fit and you lot (waving arms around whole forum) have to go and be so happy non achey fit ....:( going to go kick my teddy bear in the corner so long as kick movement isn't the straw that breaks this camels back *SIGH*

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Look l don't like to be rude.. but l am aching enough as it is would you 2 please stop being so happy fit at least groan in some pain to make me feel better...grumble moan taken me years to get this bad now my PT and running ins are killing me getting me fit and you lot (waving arms around whole forum) have to go and be so happy non achey fit ....:( going to go kick my teddy bear in the corner so long as kick movement isn't the straw that breaks this camels back *SIGH*
When I was younger, I used to watch Ali McBeal. I particularly liked her for those moments where she would have a little fantasy moment of resigning someone to a skip with a fork lift truck. I also have moments like this. There is a scene in pulp fiction with Tim Roth where he exchanges loving remarks with his girlfriend, shortly before they do a robbery then she stands up and says" none of yo up&£((;;;; move or I'll execute every ::(545(!!!!!!!!! One of you' whilst loading a gun. If you type in Tom Roth pulp fiction on you tube it'll probably come up. I often think of this when I have to teach my naughty y11 last lesson of the day.

chris9996

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Vegetables
then she stands up and says" none of yo up&£((;;;; move or I'll execute every ::(545(!!!!!!!!! One of you' whilst loading a gun. If you type in Tom Roth pulp fiction on you tube it'll probably come up. I often think of this when I have to teach my naughty y11 last lesson of the day.

Maybe you should mention these feelings to your GP ;)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
If you taught my Y11 you would understand my feelings of rage at times - lol! Very sweet but off the scale of lazy. Infact they'd kick the ar*e out of laziness - if they could be bothered! Some days it's a struggle to open the book and write the date and title! So typical teenagers really!

Hinton

I saw my big belly disappear with amazing rapidity by following the 5:2 diet. Easy diet too, because a person can still eat normal 5 days a week. After 3 months I dropped 10 kg, big reduction in belly circumference, But after a couple of months the weight started to return, so I'm back on the 5:2 diet, plus eating a low carbohydrates menu. Loosing weight quickly again. I go to a fitness centre 5 days a week. I try to burn off 500 calories every other day, and lift weights the alternate days. Think I'll be sticking to the 5:2 diet, it has done wonders for me.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
The 5 2 may be ok as a one off but it is a yoyo which is dangerous. You need a stable metaboliam so do a proper eating plan in many of us just low carb high fat.
It is not aboit loosing weight gaining loosing it etc to me it shows you are not keeping an eye on your basic blood sugar.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all,

I've lost 3 stones in the space of a year, w00t! Anyway, abdominal fat is a right ******* to shift...

My calorific intake is 14 kcal/lbs. I lift weights, partake in Martial Arts, walk a lot, so pretty active. Thyroid is in check, as it testosterone, so no hormonal issues, more so genetic pre-disposition to holding abdominal fat I guess.

Any tips out there? I've spent a year cutting (weight, not arms - that's lame) but it seems I hit a plateau, when weight decreases, so does strength despite protein/kcals/carbs/insulin being in check. I literally lost half my strength in terms of lifting weights, so recently, decided to up my calories and put on some muscle and strength - it's working.

But I really want to shift abdominal fat, happy to go back on a cut, but was wondering if any of the fitness lot has any advice to offer?
I guess this is more aimed towards supplement use, as the rest is in check, so I need to push past that limit/barrier.

ECA stack isn't an option, no stimulants what so ever.

Congratulations on losing 3 stone in a year! Excellent achievement!
Sorry things have slowed for you, but great you are sticking with it. In reference to shifting abdominal fat, have you tried reducing your carb intake? I know someone has already mentioned that.
Really, in order to get rid of that last bit of weight it might be handy to shift how your body uses energy - from drawing on carbs and converting them to glucose, and instead go to your fat stores and burn more energy that way.
Eating fewer carbs and more protein/fats and exercising more - your body really has no choice but to burn on board fat stores. You may feel a little sluggish and not have as quite as much energy, but really it's just your body adjusting to a new regime. Move your focus away from calories - keep an eye on your carbs.
With regards to losing strength, it sounds as though perhaps you haven't been replenishing your body adequately after exercise, or indeed have cut your intake of food to the point of your body is burning muscle to fuel itself?
Keep up the good work - eventually your persistence will pay off!.

GlazedDoughnuts

Cheers.

I've gained another 1.5lb, but I'm physically stronger and don't look fatter.

Time to clean up the diet a tad I think, so will defo be looking into lowering carbs.

A can of Nurishment is breakfast for me, it has 50grams of sugar, I can do without. Main reason I go for it is due to magnesium, but that's a separate issue and not related to diabetes.

I can easily replace that with a normal protein shake + magnesium tablet or nuts.

GlazedDoughnuts

If it helps, my right rotator cuff is pretty worn and achey, doing an intense shoulder workout followed by a lot of rapid punching the following day hasn't worked well.
I can't afford to have an injury right now, summer is coming up, need to be jacked by then.

Jest aside, dude chill out, just because people on a diabeticf forum go on about fitness it's not to say we all live perfect rosey lives, who knows what goes on behind closed doors ;-)

Diabetes is a small aspect of my life, as is this forum, so by natural i'm illusive on here and provide information that is only

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Cheers.

I've gained another 1.5lb, but I'm physically stronger and don't look fatter.

Time to clean up the diet a tad I think, so will defo be looking into lowering carbs.

A can of Nurishment is breakfast for me, it has 50grams of sugar, I can do without. Main reason I go for it is due to magnesium, but that's a separate issue and not related to diabetes.

I can easily replace that with a normal protein shake + magnesium tablet or nuts.

Cool - remember muscle is heavier than fat too.
Your pancreas will certainly thank you for giving up the morning can of Nurishment - you waistline will too! I look forward to hearing how you get on.

GlazedDoughnuts

Started today.

No Nurishment. Feel hungry especially after hour and a half of shadow boxing, punching/kicking kick bag. Followed by 30 mins of cycling/sprinting/jogging.

Will try keep it clean and lean when I get in.

Get chiseled physique or die trying :)