Question..

bob-b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there anyone here who had a viral disease named mumps before being diagnosed type1 diabetic? I've read things about it and I had it an year before I was diagnosed with t1. I never had any problems before that and sometime after mumps in an year many symptoms started showing up which finally lead to t1 diagnosis.. So my question is there anyone out there who had a similar condition? Or have you heard of something like this before? It's a rare occurrence so haven't found much in support of this on the internet but i strongly believe that's how I came to be a diabetic..

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I had mumps Eastet and soon after I developed autoimmune conditions rheumatoid arthritis, at which time the diagnoses of rheumatic fever was considered. Trouble is both conditions present similar symptoms. Hope this,helps.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had mumps, measles and german measles as a kid, these days people are vaccinated against all three, but I wasn't for various reasons.

I don't think that had anything to do with my diagnosis though.

In my case, my symptoms appeared after a dose of flu. Lots of people cite some kind of virus as a trigger for them, not necessarily the same specific virus though.

Reactions: 2 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep, had chicken pox late in life, few years later diagnosed type 1, though signs were there for a while, suspect I had been 1.5 for a few years and gradually declined to producing no insulin.

audsital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat carbs!
Me too, got chicken pox at age 34 but don't know if i could connect it to my diabetes as it was diagnosed 10 years later.

bob-b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok no I too had chicken pox before the diagnosis but it was very long time ago

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I got mumps at about age 6, but didn't get diagnosed till 2 weeks before my 10th birthday as type 1.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There's no known cause for type 1 diabetes, it's all speculation as far as I know but nothing concrete as yet, although hereditary factors are certainly a risk factor.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Noblehead, I was the first in my family to be diabetic type 1 no others. But look at this my mother took a morning sickness drug called Debendox which has links to diabetes, plus I have other problems, and so do my kids, which I finally had to admit to my mum last year after keeping one secret for 13 years. Like your take on it. Let me know what you think, Pm me. :).

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've heard of the connection. Apparently, some old studies used to show a link between mumps and Type 1, but recent studies reckon there is no link. This is because the rate of mumps has gone down, where as the rate of Type 1 has gone up.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Noblehead, I was the first in my family to be diabetic type 1 no others. But look at this my mother took a morning sickness drug called Debendox which has links to diabetes, plus I have other problems, and so do my kids, which I finally had to admit to my mum last year after keeping one secret for 13 years. Like your take on it. Let me know what you think, Pm me. :).

I don't know anything about the drug Debendox and it's links to diabetes Julie so can't really comment there unfortunately, like you I had no family history (to what I know of) of diabetes in my family and it came as quite a shock to us all.

They do suggest that there's a link between viral infections and diabetes but as I said earlier they are not 100% sure of the answer yet, I was quite well before diagnosis but had mumps as a young child but the gap between the two was something like 12 years:

''.Viruses and infections. A virus cannot cause diabetes on its own, but people are sometimes diagnosed with type 1 diabetes during or after a viral infection, suggesting a link between the two. Also, the onset of type 1 diabetes occurs more frequently during the winter when viral infections are more common. Viruses possibly associated with type 1 diabetes include coxsackievirus B, cytomegalovirus, adenovirus, rubella, and mumps. Scientists have described several ways these viruses may damage or destroy beta cells or possibly trigger an autoimmune response in susceptible people. For example, anti-islet antibodies have been found in patients with congenital rubella syndrome, and cytomegalovirus has been associated with significant beta cell damage and acute pancreatitis––inflammation of the pancreas. Scientists are trying to identify a virus that can cause type 1 diabetes so that a vaccine might be developed to prevent the disease.''

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/causes/

Reactions: 3 people

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can believe that having a viral infection like mumps could run you down and then maybe make you more susceptible to the mysterious bug that they think causes T1. Having said that I had chicken pox probably 4 years or so before diagnosis, as did all my siblings. No noticeable virus before being diagnosed - but the interesting thing in my experience was I first felt 'the thirst' at Easter (vivid memory of it, no idea why) but wasn't diagnosed til October that year - by which time I was skinny as a rake and fortunately hadn't fallen into a diabetic coma - the drinking thing had just got bigger and bigger - even the summer holiday photos you can see I am diabetic now - so thin! Again no history, completely out of the blue.

Plus I appear to be immune to mumps having been exposed to it several times as a child - all the girls in our family seem to avoid it!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Most people I know have had chicken pox at some time in their lives and many don't go on to develop diabetes. Maybe there is a link but you could then say for any disease then. Maybe there is an unknown link but I would say it is more coincedence. Who knows. I would guess there are a number of reasons.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i Had meningitis about a year before i was diagnosed, ive often wonder if it was linked or if it or the huge doses of antibiotics i was on at the time may have triggered the auto immune response

bob-b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Look am not saying that the virus responsible for mumps is directly responsible for diabetes either! Where does the virus attack? The salivary glands. I've read on many places that the same virus species also has the tendency to affect other glands of the body. The pancreas is a gland in our body that secretes the insulin hormone which controls our blood sugar continuously. When we get mumps and if you're fortunate enough to get the pancreas infected as well(pun intended), what happens is that the white blood cells attack the virus but along the way also kill the alpha n beta cells that make insulin. Pancreas die. No insulin. Type1 diabetic you are now buddy!

Am sorry i didnt explain it clearly earlier should've been clear but i guess now you know what am talking about.. Any thoughts now?