Am I Diabetic?

amyg

Hi,
On Boxing day I experienced blurred vision, fast heart beat, sweating and shaking. The doctor has referred me to a heart clinic.

Over the recent months Iv been treating myself for thrush, but it did not stop. Fearing I had something more sinister I went to the GUM clinic for a full set of tests. They found nothing except BV, which the doctor said does not usually cause burning. I was treated with anitbiotics but im still itchy.

I have a dry mouth often and shortly after eating a meal I have to visit the toilet about four/five times.

Thanks, Amy

CalicoBec

Hi Amy,

I'm sorry to tell you this but I don't think anyone here can say if you have diabetes or not, I know how frustrating it is to know that something is wrong but not know exactly what, as i've only just found out myself that I am diabetic! All I can say is go to the dr again and ask for a fasting blood test for diabetes, then you will know one way or the other.

I hope all goes well

Becca

goanna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
working too hard!! Ungratefulness
Yes definitely ask for a fasting test. The symptoms you describe are very much like those that I had. Thrush (for 12 months) blurry vision, weight loss frequent urination, dizzyness etc. It wont hurt to know and if you don't have diabetes then you've at least ruled it out.
Best of luck! Anna

amyg

Thank you. I was hoping that it would get picked up when I went for tests at the heart clinic but it didn't and I daren't ask for tests incase they think im a total whinger. However, my fast heart and sweating could be related, since it looks like symptoms of low blood sugar, right?

Ive been to docs for treatment of two skin infections, STI checks (which were clear) and treatment for thrush and BV. Been to docs about the fast heart incident as well. Just feel like a hypocondriac.

Thirsty

amy, go and get yourself tested at the doc's. It's not uncommon for people to live with undiagnosed diabetes for years. I did, despite regular appointments with the quacks for unrelated complaints.

amyg

Thanks.
You have reassured me that im not wasting the doctor's time and iv booked an appointment for this afternoon.

Mimi

Dear Amy

The symptoms you descibe were exactly the ones that led me to getting diagnosed with diabetes two years ago. (Am type 2) Glad to say that I haven't had an episode of thrush since cutting out sugar and now low carbing. In addition I had blurred vision for a while, which cleared up after adjusting the diet.

Mimi

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you dont want to goto the docs you can get a fasting test done at Lloyds chemists, maybe others. I think they do it there and then and if its high you can go back to the docs armed with the new info and tell him you are NOT a whinger

Good luck
Brian

Miasma

it's always better to be safe than sorry ! those are the symptoms i was having before i was diagnosed and i was just ignoring them

i hope it all goes well for you honey.
xo

Trinkwasser

If the fasting test comes back clear (and make sure they give you the actual *numbers*) you could probably get a non-fasting test at your pharmacy, eat something carby about half an hour before going in. Often the fasting numbers are the last to go and if the postprandial numbers aren't checked (Glucose Tolerance Test is the Gold Standard) you can go undiagnosed for years

amyg

Ok I went to docs told him my symptoms and he tested a urine sample and said ive nothing to worry about.

Anyone know what else would account for my symptoms?

Im seriously down about feeling ill all the time and I just want to get it sorted so I can get my life back on track.

Thanks for your advice everyone.
x

goanna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
working too hard!! Ungratefulness
Hi Amyg,
I may be wrong but I thought that a urine test was not conclusive and that the sugar does not always show up, If I were you I would ask for a blood test...yes they may think you are a pain but isn't it better to be sure?
I hope you are OK and good luck.

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
GOTO a lloyds chemist and get a blood test over the counter, i dont think it costs much and would give you an answer straight away.

Brian

Trinkwasser

amyg said:
Ok I went to docs told him my symptoms and he tested a urine sample and said ive nothing to worry about.
x

See if you can get a proper doctor. Urine tests only show if your BG was high enough to spill glucose in your urine several hours ago.

Meanwhile see if you can get an OTC test at your pharmacy (and while you're there ask if they know any better doctors)