Confused about different readings from two meters.

bardos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am using two different glucose meters, accu-chek from Roche and Glucoard from Menarini. They are giving very different readings on wake-up (and throughout the day.) I have 135 or so with the accu-chek and 105 with the Glucocard. What to do?

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As I understand it, meter accuracy level is usually no better than about + or - 20 per cent. So if your true value was say 120 a meter would read that as anything in the range 96 to 144!

Pavlos
Type 2 - Diagnosed 2009; Latest HbA1c 5,8%; Diabetes Medication: metformin 2x850mg; Other medication: Aspirin 75mg, Valsartan 80mg, Rosuvostatin 20mg, Ezetimibe 10mg; Exercise: One hour walk daily, tennis weekly, swimming when warm enough

Reactions: 2 people

Keith300-01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Strong wind
Only use one ! I've had one meter read 26.2 this week n got out my other one that I've used for years an it said 19.6 if you want even better ive used the same blood and same meter just 3 sticks and they gave different readings so don't fret too much as they only have a % its still better than when I started with diabetes having to wipe the blood off after 20s and see what the chart said !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am using two different glucose meters, accu-chek from Roche and Glucoard from Menarini. They are giving very different readings on wake-up (and throughout the day.) I have 135 or so with the accu-chek and 105 with the Glucocard. What to do?

Hi there,
There can be variation - double check you don't have any contamination on your fingers, and repeat the test again with both meters - take the average as the reading. You will possibly find that one shows consistently lower results, and one slightly higher. My bet would be on accu-check being closest to your true BG reading.

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
Hi there,
There can be variation - double check you don't have any contamination on your fingers, and repeat the test again with both meters - take the average as the reading. You will possibly find that one shows consistently lower results, and one slightly higher. My bet would be on accu-check being closest to your true BG reading.
My Menarini meter always reads 10-15% lower than all my others. This is not the first time I have seen this here.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One answer to this question is don't do it. Although I've had to change my meter as my doc will no longer prescribe strips for my One Touch. I tried a test with my One Touch and a Glucolab with the same drop of blood and the Glucolab was 1 mmol (18 in the OP's measurement system) higher. I got it changed for a Wavesense Jazz and this one reads 0.5 mmol lower than my One Touch.

Meters are just a guide as pavlosan said.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As others have said, don't worry about it. It's normal variation. To make your life easier though, use all the same model. You might have one at home, one at work, one in the car, one in your coat (ok that's a lot!) but just make them all the same model. Manufacturers give meters away for free/cheap right?

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
Yeah, I've tried about 8 in the short time I have been diabetic. Settled on a Contour Next USB. Called Bayer and asked for a few couple of spares! One for home, work and the car. 2 more arrived within a few days. Consistensy is more important to me than absolute accuracy. For example I know I will be sooaked in sweat at 2.5 on MY meter. may be different on your meter, but that is not important.