Diagnosed today :(

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
Hi Shelley, welcome to the club nobody wanted to join o_O

Well done with the testing already, I took my GP at face value when I was told that I didn't need to test. I soon changed that after finding this forum!

The downside is that you will find foods you thought were ok can cause spikes in your BG levels :(

Looking at what you've eaten, the culprits are the low fat yoghurt - if it's flavoured it can have anywhere from 19g to 30g of sugar in 170g of yoghurt!
And the mint sauce; I love mint sauce and often put it over chopped onion to add to a salad, but, in 15g of mint sauce there is roughly 3g of sugar (i.e. 1g of sugar per teaspoon of mint sauce)

Try not to let it get you down, and keep at it :)

Reactions: 2 people

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
I have just had some lettuce, cucumber and onion with low fat yoghurt/mint sauce on (about and hour ago) and my sugar is now 9.7.....is it EVERY mouthful of food no matter WHAT the food is?

:) Oh my, if you think this is the only kind of food that you can eat I can see why you might feel blue. Check out the recipe section on this site, and the recipe threads on the forum. I eat like a porker and all kinds of good stuff. Just staying away from (high) carbs and other forms of starches/sugar takes the weight off, if that is also a concern of yours.

Also, "low-fat" usually has forms of sugar in it. I usually have full-fat plain yogurt and add fruits like blackberries to it.

Anyway, glad to see you posting, and if you hang out and keep getting feedback from other members here, I'm sure that you will find that its not as bad as it may seem.

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks y'all. Just really hitting me that this is for real. Stop fooling myself that its not real and I CAN have 2 sugars in my coffee (its disgusting with sweetners or no sugar so havent drank it for 2 days, caffeine withdrawal headache now) All in all if I get my positive head back on then I can 'twist' this into a good thing because I just might finally get back down to a 'normal' weight.
I love this forum already and the support is amazing and very much appreciated ;) x

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
There is things l miss food wise but the food it has made me eat and extra exercise is the best thing that has happened to me. I agree to eating like a pig but also if you eat high/er fat foods then 2 hr test but if you have things like spuds or yorksire puddings or other high sugar foods throw in a 1hr test as well as your 2 hr test often those foods spike you faster and it is down by the time you get to the 2hr point.

Get the Carbs and Cals book off Amazon but full size not pocket and l don't know what the app is like. A small digital scales to weigh your food on is a must.

I have 3 to 4 teaspoons of single cream in my coffees instead of milk (less carbs) l used to like lidly high fat yoghurt with my berries but turns out that spikes me so bye bye. Have cream instead.

I look at the carbs of all foods if it is 5grm/100grmm product l will buy it I am pretty low l go for around 30gram a day of carbs took about 2 months dropped in stages. Drank and still do a lot more water. Make sure you always check the word Carbohydrate (it means sugar) on all packaging ignore the sub groups like sugar fibre it gets confusing. As you get used to things then if you want to look at sub groups fine but as a beginner (Dx November) l keep life simple.

Oh and if you lCHF it is a way of life and not a diet so means wont be a short term thing :-D

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the idea of having butter. On anything, even just a knife lol! Thanks Mud Island Dweller, and high five to the last line of your siggy :)

C

catherinecherub

I have just had some lettuce, cucumber and onion with low fat yoghurt/mint sauce on (about and hour ago) and my sugar is now 9.7.....is it EVERY mouthful of food no matter WHAT the food is?
Hi Shelly,

Don't know if this was a snack but two things spring to mind. The dressing would have contained the carbs and there was no protein or fat to slow the result down A boiled egg, tuna, cheese, ham and an olive oil dressing would have given a different result.

Try these easy salad dressings from Jamie Oliver. They are olive oil based and include lemon/vinegar which will also lower your blood sugars.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/recipe/jam-jar-dressings

AndyH1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Shelley,

hang on in there, you are doing great, and you are taking your condition seriously, many don't.

Over a period of time you will learn what foods you can eat, and what are bad for you, we are all different. It took me ages to get used to tea without sugar, now I wouldn't have sugar in it even if I could. You will gradually build up a reservoir of recipes and food that you like, and are good for you.

Don't forget that once you are more stable, it doesn't mean that you can never have another chip, or roast potato, it just means they are treats to be had very occasionally and in small quantities. I'm still new to this carb counting lark, but already, I don't miss rice or pasta, can cope without spuds (well most of the time), for me the thing I'm having trouble with is bread. Like you I love it, and low carb bread just isn't the same. We bake our own bread so for me it's even more difficult, especially when there is a fresh wholegrain loaf just out of the oven.

Andy

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am currently following slimming world's food optimizing plan, but I think its not right for me now. Want to lose weight and was doin this before diagnosis, but as you can eat unlimited amounts of pasta and potatoes it probably isnt going to be the one to follow. I'll get there I just seem to be struggling to stay on track with what to eat that doesn't sabotage the weight loss plan :/

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
If it is plain diabetes with no other problems scroll down the page to the low carb forum. The majority of us low carb high fat the weight fslls off lots to eat and l never ate better. By that l mean no junk food. lt is very well balanced cut carbs slowly l started around 100-150 then took the plunge and am now about 30grm carbs a day.
Your body uses the fat for energy instead of carbs.

Have a read in the low carb forum of Vivs Modified Atkins and plan off that feel free to ask q. And if you like chocolate lindt 90% has 4gram carbs/40gram chocolate yummms
:)

mollycat1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
can`t think of any !
Can I eat beetroot on a low carb regime - that pickled stuff in jars. I just love it !

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Beetroot not sure about l Mollycat, you should post the question in the low carb forum someone will know, l have an idea it will be complex l have avoided it at the moment as requires to much thought :)..

l would never ever swear on a forum Shelly :p

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just spent the last hour (its weigh in at SW so I skipped class lol) reading Vivs Atkins diet thread and the question was asked on there about beetroot. Apparently its is NOT low carb and is only slightly better than carrots so would have to be factored into the allowance ;)

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
Yes, LCHF eating plans automatically helps you to reduce weight, something I am currently delightfully enjoying. Regarding how certain foods will spike your BG, I've learned that the STARCH content is just as important to find out as the carbs and straight-out forms of sugar. Btw, "industrial" oils like hydrogenated vegetable oils have to be used cautiously, and any product with fructose/sucrose/corn syrup and corn-starch should be viewed as a potential danger.

Some naturopathic/natural products that some people have used successfully to reduce and stabilize blood glucose are: cinnamon, ginger, tumeric (curry powder) and a host of other herbs and spices. I have found that using these daily will give me better control over my BG.;)

rtownsend7

Hello y'all, great forum with much valuable info. I had a random glucose level come back at 9.9, so was asked to do 2 fasting glucose tests. One was 7,7 and the second was 6.6, nurse said this was 'borderline' so I had to go do the GTT. Finally, after a 2 week wait, I got the phone call yesterday inviting me to the Docs today. The glucose level after the GTT was 12.6 so am confirmed as type 2 diabetic. It seems lifestyle change is the way forward ( I have been doing slimming world for 6weeks in any case and have lost 13lb so far) No meter as they dont think it would be of any relevance for me to know. Havent had cholestrol done for over 12 months but it was 4.7 way back then. BP is fine. I read in one post that it is a good idea to invest in a meter for self monitoring, so I have done. Now at what points is it most important to check glucose levels?
Thanks in advance :)
Shelly
Hi and welcome.
I was diagnosed 7 years ago and have only just managed to get my test strips on prescription. I bought my own meter though.
It seems that doctors are reluctant to have Type 2s test themselves because of the cost of the strips.
My diabetic nurse told me that I need to test now because I am on Gliclazide and could go hypo. Hasn't happened yet though. ALSO HAVE TO TEST BEFORE DRIVING.
I find that I am more aware of what is happening by testing and the effect of different foods on my BG.
You just need to take your doctor's advise at this stage but ask questions too. Ask for some urine test strips at least.

K

Kat100

Hello shelly,
Nice to meet you, you will get support on here, and it is early days for you, I am still confussed 14 months into being diaganosed, you seem to be heading in the right direction, that is good, weight loss is good also, sounds like you have a supportive slimming world ......
Look forward to chatting to you here...I learn new information all the time then choose what works for me.....best wishes Kat x

AndyH1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My diabetic nurse told me that I need to test now because I am on Gliclazide and could go hypo. Hasn't happened yet though. ALSO HAVE TO TEST BEFORE DRIVING.

Interesting, I'm also on Glic, and have had no such advice from my doctor. I have had a couple of hypo incidents, my doctor knows this. Yet another example of the inconsistent advice dished out.

Andy

rtownsend7

Interesting, I'm also on Glic, and have had no such advice from my doctor. I have had a couple of hypo incidents, my doctor knows this. Yet another example of the inconsistent advice dished out.

Andy
Apparently it's a legal requirement that you test before driving if you are on Gliclazide. My diabetic nurse quoted the NICE directives to the doctor and hey presto, a prescription. .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App