feel depressed

head323

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking
hi I am a diabetic for 22 yrs of my life and ok I used to injecting myself every meal time and doing blood test etc etc .
I have days where I want o give up injecting doing finger pricking test for blood sugar levels want to stop and let on I don't habe diabetes but I do

I often feel lonely sad depressed that I am the only one that I know of that has to inject herself several times a day

does anyone out there feel depressed and wantto give up on diabetes or am I the only one who feels like this

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I think most of us at some time have felt like this, it's is a full-time commitment living with diabetes and we never get a day off. If these feelings are persistent then I would have a chat with your gp or consultant and tell them how you feel, depression is quite common in diabetics but there is help and support out there.

Reactions: 2 people

rvp50mufc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
None
I feeli like that head 323 everyday sometimes I just feel like getting my pen and just injecting the whole cartridge into my body and then just fall asleep it's so easy but then I think about my son and who will look after him, but when he leaves and starts work then I will be really alone.:(

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes I have a day off doing blood sugar testing, not often, just now and then. Im follwing DAFNE regime so need to test all the time but a day off is nice.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

rvp50mufc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
None
hi I am a diabetic for 22 yrs of my life and ok I used to injecting myself every meal time and doing blood test etc etc .
I have days where I want o give up injecting doing finger pricking test for blood sugar levels want to stop and let on I don't habe diabetes but I do

I often feel lonely sad depressed that I am the only one that I know of that has to inject herself several times a day

does anyone out there feel depressed and wantto give up on diabetes or am I the only one who feels like this
Hi Head323 I feel like that all the time sometimes I feel like just getting my pen and injecting the whole cartridge into my body but before it happens i think of my son and what will happen to him I think it will happen after he has left home I know they say there is support out there but they don't understand plus they don't know what it's like to to stab yourself 4 or 5 times a day then prick your finger 10 times a day it's a pain. :(

dollydaydream2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I feeli like that head 323 everyday sometimes I just feel like getting my pen and just injecting the whole cartridge into my body and then just fall asleep it's so easy but then I think about my son and who will look after him, but when he leaves and starts work then I will be really alone.:(

Being depressed about being alone is nothing to do with being diabetic. You need to get professional help/ medication to get you through this low point. There is no doubt diabetes can get you down but it sounds like there is a lot more going on to make you feel this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Head323

Depression is horrible. Pis it really just the diabetes that is depressing you, as it sounds like more than that from your posting.
I'm 8 years on from you for injecting, and I have had really bad depression, but have lifted myself out of it now for almost 2 years. My mum and Nan also suffered badly from depression.
I will say to you, if I can do it, so can you.
Do you want to talk about your diabetes, or is it really your life AND diabetes that are depressing you?

I'm not medically qualified, but I have been truly at the point of being admitted and also planning suicide...if you want to PM me, please do. You aren't alone here ever. You will get lots of help, advice and opinions, but at the end of the day you will also make good virtual friends which can be talkative ones too. I will never forget the friends I have made here and the help they gave me..they know who they are...

I hope you come back and post more...xx

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Depression and diabetes go hand-in-hand. It's just the relentlessness of it; the worry of complications and hypos, the guilt of being high, the tests, the injections....

I guarantee that 90% of diabetics feel like this at some point. I hate being diabetic, but when I feel like this I just tell myself that throughout most of human history, people died very quickly of diabetes and that I'm lucky to be alive and I'm very greatful that I am.

Reactions: 9 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
You're not alone and I agrees with SamJB. It's the 24/7 365 days a year element that sometimes overwhelms me. I look around and notice others who just merrily go about their day, having coffee and cake, rushing around shops, girlie wine lunches, unplanned gym sessions, spa days - all of these things are 'doable' but they just take a lot more planning and I sometimes admit to saying 'stuff it' I'll not bother and I just stay indoors. Then I stop and consider how much worse it could be and usually that works ......until the next time I feel low. The loneliness for me comes when I'm feeling like this. There are plenty of people around, just nobody that really really understands the demands of everyday living with diabetes. These negative thoughts are not always there but please be assured that you are not different in having these feelings. If you are unable to cope in the long term then I do suggest you need to speak to your GP. All the best.

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
It is very normal to feel sorry for ourselves n i do often as we cant jus go out for dinner n decide on a whim to have big slice of cake or eat a full bag of haribos and people dont realise diabetes can be very hard work n really gets u down! But sad fact is we cant change it unless a miracle cure is found which wont be in this lifetime and we jus have to accept it n get on with it but it certainly doesnt help us getting down about it! There are people out there a lot worse than havin diabetes but there are also people who are a lot better off n we jus have to think right we have it and thats it, but u have to say "am i a glass half empty or half full kinda person".

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not Type 1, but I am familiar with support groups for other issues and the benefit you can receive from just talking to other people in the same situation. Are there such things in the UK? I think face to face with real people can be very helpful.

D

Deleted member 83869

Hello! I always feel like that, I went through a stage a few years back where I didn't test for nearly 3 months! :( And i ended up in hospital a few times! I have improved with testing massively but I am still depressed! Stress at home probably doesn't help but you are not alone :) Try this site http://elefriends.org.uk/ it does help and proves you are not alone! :) xx

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hi
you need to remember you arent alone,
my diabetes doesnt get me down but i do have long term illnesses that do, i get soo fed up and wish i could have a day pain free etc, any long term condition can cause depression and you may be depressed for other reasons as when depressed everything seems so much worse, i would seek medical help as you dont want to be feeling like this

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Nicolanne...
Going from not testing for a while and then testing massively can put extra depressive thoughts and anxiety in your brain... It can also give you good thoughts if you can see benefits though.

I actually got told off by my consultant for being too concerned with testing and monitoring. She was right, My life is much improved by regulating my testing. I still test 8 times a day (on a pump) but I don't fret over adjusting and controlling so anally now.... (So to speak). I am so much happier being more relaxed.

I know 8 times a day may sound a lot to some, but it was the analysing I also did also a cgm for 9 months too was just OTT worry for me.

simonhand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know exactly what you mean rvp50mufc. I have thought of injecting viles of insulin.
I have read up on it and it doesn't seem to be successful in that you can end up in a vegetative state, which could be worse.
The only thing which has stopped me are my 2 daughters who need me. I've lived through diabetes all my life. My dad was type one all his life and died of a massive heart attack which was diabetic related. I've been diabetic since I was 21 and now 44 I've had enough. My wife left me 15 months ago and one of the reasons was due to my diabetes plus other things which are connected with diabetes plus she had an affair. My parents aren't alive so I have no one to talk to. I am physically in good shape and train hard 3 times a week, and I have a successful business, but the uphill battle day in day out just gets to you.
I know I would have ended things if my daughters weren't living with me.
I'd love a relationship with someone but as everyone who is diabetic know that it's a big ask for someone to take on a type 1 diabetic.
I have a few problems with my eyes and a little tingling in my feet.
I really do feel that if and when I want to end things I should be able to in a dignified way.
I know that people on here would be disgusted with my comments, but I'd like to think that other diabetics understand, rather than health professionals that I feel don't help when you want to discuss this.
As and when I get my drivers licence taken away from me due to my eyes I can't work and therefore cant look after my daughters.
At that point, I feel there is no point.
I am a responsible, sound of mind adult and if I choose to end things, due to my quality of life deteriorating due to diabetes. There should be things in place that allow you to, rather than having to go to another European country.