Hypo in work

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dont get too many hypos, and normally treat them and recover quite quickly. Today I felt hypo quite suddenly and went into our office to take glucogel. Another member of staff come in shortly, my blood sugar was 2.8. Felt rotten, zoned out and wobbly. Member of staff said "there are 2 patientswaiting for their fields tests, come NOW. I said I would when I recovered from my hypo, she got in a nark and went out and shut the door. I felt really upset, I felt vulnerable and alone. Most staff are very good if I'm hypo to be fair. It's horrid feeling so vulnerable. First time I've reacted in that way, not nice. I did try to explain to some of the newer (and yes younger) members if staff about hypos but they didnt listen. One of them even recalled some weeks ago, a patient who'd had a hypo (sounded like a severe one), that we was making blubbery noises, she said the nurses gave him sugar and then "he was like a different person", all the while she was laughing n thought it was so funny. I'd rather pass out then ask some people I work with for help.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The fault is on their part and not yours and you have nothing to worry about, if the member of staff who spoke to you abruptly and slammed the door treats you in the same way again I would make a complaint with a senior member of management.

Reactions: 2 people

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
how sad that no one respected you and thought it as a get over it thing. but sadly it exsists im type 2 , but dont let it marr you and know that until there in the same position as you witch is highly likley , there just ingorent in there own worlds ,, keep ur head up and keep on at them until they listen your health must always come first xx

Reactions: 3 people

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dont get too many hypos, and normally treat them and recover quite quickly. Today I felt hypo quite suddenly and went into our office to take glucogel. Another member of staff come in shortly, my blood sugar was 2.8. Felt rotten, zoned out and wobbly. Member of staff said "there are 2 patientswaiting for their fields tests, come NOW. I said I would when I recovered from my hypo, she got in a nark and went out and shut the door. I felt really upset, I felt vulnerable and alone. Most staff are very good if I'm hypo to be fair. It's horrid feeling so vulnerable. First time I've reacted in that way, not nice. I did try to explain to some of the newer (and yes younger) members if staff about hypos but they didnt listen. One of them even recalled some weeks ago, a patient who'd had a hypo (sounded like a severe one), that we was making blubbery noises, she said the nurses gave him sugar and then "he was like a different person", all the while she was laughing n thought it was so funny. I'd rather pass out then ask some people I work with for help.

Hello,
Rather than needing to go to the office to treat a hypo when you feel the warning signs of a hypo, why not have some sweets secreted in a pocket to eat so that you can prevent the hypo from developing? I always carry some jelly Beans in a small container in my pocket so that I am never caught without a quick means of dealing with dodgy sugar levels.

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood sugar testing kit is in the office. Though if I feel very hypo I would treat then test. Minor hypos I just grab something and carry on. Sometimes I go in the office though to recover as some hypos take longer to recover from, then I also like to let someone know I am hypo too. I used to keep quiet when I was hypo but now I think No, I will tell people, I'm not ashamed, I have to live with diabetes and look after myself and always hope work colleagues would look after me if I needed them to, plus I work in a hospital!!!!!!
I think what surprised me was the strong feeling of vulnerability and feeling a bit scared which I hadn't felt before.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
My blood sugar testing kit is in the office. Though if I feel very hypo I would treat then test. Minor hypos I just grab something and carry on. Sometimes I go in the office though to recover as some hypos take longer to recover from, then I also like to let someone know I am hypo too. I used to keep quiet when I was hypo but now I think No, I will tell people, I'm not ashamed, I have to live with diabetes and look after myself and always hope work colleagues would look after me if I needed them to, plus I work in a hospital!!!!!!
I think what surprised me was the strong feeling of vulnerability and feeling a bit scared which I hadn't felt before.

Well in that case there is really no excuse. You need to go and speak to your line manager and if that doesn't work someone in personnel. Perhaps this person needs to attend the newly diagnosed diabetes educational program? It is really appalling that some people treat diabetes t2 as something which is self induced. Hope you are feeling better!