Not too bad considering

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, last night was a close call, done everything as usual, ate tea about 6ish, injected, 2 hours later 7.2 no snack, no more bolus, 5 hours later before bed was 5.4, so thought ok, small snack to last, had cuppa before bed, felt really sick, tested, 3.7, ok lucozade as usual, 5 mins later, 3.4 more lucozade and same pattern, levels just wouldn't rise and took a 500ml bottle of lucozade and 40 mins. Eventually got to 9, but, because of what happened took pump off for the night, just panicked a bit I think. Woke to 16.4, great! Corrected but was 5.4 pre lunch, 5.7 2 hours later had snack, 5.4 pre driving leaving work. Wa expecting to feel **** today but, been quite good considering. Have reduced basal (again) for late evening now down to 8.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

Dear Bret,
Sorry I can't comment, because I don't understand what you are experiencing, but I hope you feel so much better soon...
Tc best wishes Kat x

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Scary! I hate long hypos!

Are you allowed to take your pump off over night? (Allowed?!) I didn't know what words to use!

Hope you know what I mean!

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Scary! I hate long hypos!

Are you allowed to take your pump off over night? (Allowed?!) I didn't know what words to use!

Hope you know what I mean!

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not lol, but because I knew my basal was way out, didn't want anymore in me. has never taken that much lucozade to get levels up before, but all the corrections caught up (eventually), and I know my.levels rise mostly from 3am onwards.

Reactions: 4 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hm, maybe reduced bolus a bit too much tonight, was 4.4 before tea, 2 hours later 10.7. But, hopefully down a bit in another 2 hours so, looking good for a basal test from 10pm > morning. Great (not)

Reactions: 4 people

Kerry74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hot and spicy food
Ah god what a nightmare Brett I have experienced hypos that take forever and have drank same amount lucozade , how much background do u usually take and is it twice a day , earlier on I was 22.2 ketones as well , I do have a cold then dropped to 3.2 just can't win , hope u r ok this evening

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah god what a nightmare Brett I have experienced hypos that take forever and have drank same amount lucozade , how much background do u usually take and is it twice a day , earlier on I was 22.2 ketones as well , I do have a cold then dropped to 3.2 just can't win , hope u r ok this evening

Feeling good, levels been all good since morning correction, was a a bit over cautious this evening with bolus, but also did a little bit less, cause I wanted to do a basal test later. On pump, so uses qa as basal. Hourly Basal rates been slightly reducing all week, gone from 11.... To now only 8 over a 24 hour period

Last edited by a moderator:

Kerry74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hot and spicy food
I agree being cautious as I would do the same , r ugoing to do a night time test (I.e) 2 in morning , what time did you hypo last night x

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hypo happened at 11.30 to gone midnight, well after my meal bolus from tea had finished. 4 hours after tea/bolus tonight wil be 9.45, so, going to test hourly till 7am. set loads of alarms on phone. (as long as im in range pre test lol)
Least I got weekend off work

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you get it sorted Brett. It makes you feel really ill when you have one of those never ending hypos.

Smidge

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Brett

Why did you aler your basal before tea? You went low pre bed, so your basal changes on a pump should be 2-3 hours before the low...
If it was 2-3 hours after your meal then it's the bolus that needs to be changed.

I know you said that you took pump off, but didn't you wake up during the night to test yourself? Your insulin on a pump, no matter what runs out at 5 hours.. Depending how sensitive you are to insulin, this could be an 11/2hr either way, but if you are having a sustained hypo and over dosing on glucose you should never go to sleep without waking yourself up throughout it.

A pump runs very differently to basal bolus injections.. My pump instructions give me an hour off it before having to re attach, what you did was not good and you need to wake yourself up in future

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
11.30 to after midnight is not a long time for a pump hypo.....if you have 2 hours of basal rates being too high, your hypo could be harder to get out of than an injection hypo.

Your levels were borderline high initially according to your original post.. You then said that your tea was at least four hours before your tea....

Your hypo was 11.30 so what time basals have you lowered?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Brett

Why did you aler your basal before tea? You went low pre bed, so your basal changes on a pump should be 2-3 hours before the low...
If it was 2-3 hours after your meal then it's the bolus that needs to be changed.

I know you said that you took pump off, but didn't you wake up during the night to test yourself? Your insulin on a pump, no matter what runs out at 5 hours.. Depending how sensitive you are to insulin, this could be an 11/2hr either way, but if you are having a sustained hypo and over dosing on glucose you should never go to sleep without waking yourself up throughout it.

A pump runs very differently to basal bolus injections.. My pump instructions give me an hour off it before having to re attach, what you did was not good and you need to wake yourself up in future

I havnt altered basal for tea time, I have altered bolus and this evening only.have a little less bolus to make sure I could do a basal test 9.45 onwards. 9 onwards is where I have reduced basal but, as.its not tested just guessed from the sustained hypo. Wil know for sure later.
As for waking last night to check it ook all my effort to each 9mmol, after that no way I was going to wake, so, as safety took pump off, so I knew if be high. And, I knew my wife would check on me through the night, she was a star, she got all the patients in the world.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Brett
You may find as well that you need a different basal rate for weekends than weekdays depending on your activitys.
I have a rate for summer weekends, summer weekdays, winter weekends and winter weekdays.
I will be changing to summer basal rates (5 units difference) the day after the clocks change.
You may well find that tonight's basal testing will be different to a working weekday one.......

Probably teaching a duck to suck eggs, sorry.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I see now reference basal and bolus.....

It really does concern me that you took pump off for a whole night sleep though.

I have had leaking levers a couple of times at night and have been so ill, practically comatosed, as my levels rose between 24 and 30, and when I always run under 8 that is a huge increase, and those nights I was only asleep 6 hours max. Please Brett never detach for more than an hour in the future no matter what..... Better to run on a reduced tbr for the rest of the night......

The more you live with the pump, I think the quicker your body reacts. I been on pump for almost 4 years and yesterday it went wrong again. This was after being disconnected for 50mins having a bath. As soon as I knew I had probs with pump I did a manual injection and calculations. I got hold of Accuchek and temporarily fixed fault, got new pump replacement today and a new handset arriving Monday. I know that I could have a full hour off pump before when I started 4 years ago, but now 1 hour is my absolute maximum before my levels can double.....triple or quadruple.....

The pump, sorry isn't down to your partner to manage.... She sounds fantastic, but really, honestly...it's your responsibility......

Sounds harsh, my hubby did the same for me, but not now...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Your partner Brett will probably recognise the signs of lows, but not highs, otherwise you wouldn't have woken up so high. It's not fair on your partner for you to go off soundly to sleep and for your levels to be your partners responsibility.....

Sorry.... Harsh words.. But really concerned that you just detached the pump... This should never happen.....

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, have different weekend basal rates but I've been working today, so by doing it tonight it will be correct mon~fri till sat am. when basal tests ends.
As for pump, yes its my responsibility, I take full responsibility for all settings, ratios, temps etc everything to do with pump. my wife just makes sure im ok. Thats alot of reassurance to me at those times.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
She can't tell when you are high though can she? Please Brett, don't detach overnight again. Even reducing by 50% would have been better for you....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You may well find that your weekend settings start at 1pm Fridays,.......