Sweets, chocolate and Easter

gemma.88

Right I'm getting a bit confused at min, iv been my son can have some sweets etc but keep them as part of a meal not as a snack etc, I was going to get him sugar free sweets but now am confused because read stuff saying not to get sugar free as the sweetener is still bad for them, n if it is better for them to have sugar free can u get sugar free/diabetic Easter eggs ???
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's always personal really.
Thorntons no added sugar has a polyol sweetener, which I'm ok with.
Having said that, I'm a type 2, so some things I avoid anyway.
I have also lost my sweet touch, so tend not to eat milk chocolate at all, but I prefer black chocolate very occasionally.
Haven't seen any eggs though, just bars.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Gemma,
the reaction to "sugar free" sweeteners varies between us and could be tried.
IMHO, I would try to keep the normal carb intake constant, and keep the sweet "treats" as that a treat and deal with the carb intake of the treat appropriately. If you have probs getting a ready made easter egg, why not make it yourselves, most kids love cookery!

sagarg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello
Right I'm getting a bit confused at min, iv been my son can have some sweets etc but keep them as part of a meal not as a snack etc, I was going to get him sugar free sweets but now am confused because read stuff saying not to get sugar free as the sweetener is still bad for them, n if it is better for them to have sugar free can u get sugar free/diabetic Easter eggs ???

Hello,
For kids natural sugar is OK but if you are using artificial sweetener so it contains some chemical ingredients which are only for adult people not for kids...

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please remember that it's the TOTAL CARBS inculding ALL types of SUGARS that we have to watch out for for and you them must allow for ALL CARBS eaten when you inject. Natural sugars like in fruit need to be allowed for ..As a Rule any carb we eat need insulin. It all depends on carb counting/ratios on how much insulin you need. This is why sometimes the fixed insulin doses don't always work as you may eat more carbs for that meal.