Unbalanced sugar level

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have been diagnosed type 1 since july/aug 2013 (8 months) cannot get on dafne course till this nov! I really do not carb count well and last few weeks my bm is always around 8-10!
Was at 13 this mornin when came off a nightshift n had 2 slice bread and eggs a cup tea with half a sugar milk so took 3 units im on very little amounts insulin, i woke up an hour ago it was at 3.1 i jus cant win. Had a plum a cup tea and small biscuit and its up at 10.9. This is very frustrating! Any tips on where i can learn portion size for insulin dosage!

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
There is a book called carbs and cals which is brilliant and gives you the carbs for most food and has pictures so you can portion size .also most people i think start on a ratio of 1:10 so for example if you had a meal or snack of 40 carbs you would have 4 units of insulin . meals times can be different ratios but you can change them as you go on .if you are very high after 4 hours on 1:10 for a few days try 1:15 and so on also the accu check expert blood meter is very good you enter carbs and it calculates how much insulin to give you and if to correct you as well
Hope this helps

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry thats wrong the higher you are the ratio needs to go down not up sorry about that my daughter is on 1:8 for breakfast and 1:20 dinner and tea so it can change a lot threw the day but the meter i suggested you can programme time blocks so the ratios are different for your needs at different times of day

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thats great thanx for your help!

Cherry-Pie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is an online course called Bournemouth Diabetes Learning Program, this is kind of like an online DAPNE course (I think from what I remember!)
http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/..
The carbs and calls is also great as Shell1 said, I don't have the book but I downloaded the app and its great for when you're out and about :)

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Just downloaded that app and will try that online course! Is it free? Its the ratio of insulin to carbs i wasnt getting. Shell1 is that carb counting ratios applied to rapid insulin! Ive never logged here and cant believe how much ive learned in a day! Feel more confident bout my carb counting now thanx so much guys!

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thankyou and another quick question if 1 unit insulin takes bm down by 3 how much does 10g carbs take it up by is it 1 mmol its all so confusing!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thankyou and another quick question if 1 unit insulin takes bm down by 3 how much does 10g carbs take it up by is it 1 mmol its all so confusing!

depends on your insulin to carb ratio, and your correction factor. If using a correction factor of 1 unit lowers you by 3mmol, and your I/c ratio is 1:10, you know 1 unit stops you going up by 3mmol over the action period of your insulin, 4/5 hours. So, 10 carbs would raise you 3mmol.
If your I/c ratio was 1/20 and you knew 1 unit lowers you by 3, in that instance 10 carbs would raise you by 1.5mmol

Reactions: 2 people

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
depends on your insulin to carb ratio, and your correction factor. If using a correction factor of 1 unit lowers you by 3mmol, and your I/c ratio is 1:10, you know 1 unit stops you going up by 3mmol over the action period of your insulin, 4/5 hours. So, 10 carbs would raise you 3mmol.
If your I/c ratio was 1/20 and you knew 1 unit lowers you by 3, in that instance 10 carbs would raise you by 1.5mmol

Sorry bret that jus really confused me what is my l/c and ive not really been given my ratio so im jus goin by 1 unit rapid for 10g carbs after reading tgis site today as they keep saying im in honeymoon period and my bloods came back with c peptide normal so theyre sayin i dont have typical type 1 but also dont have type 2! Its been 8 months but ive never really been taught to carb count etc my dafne isnt till nov but kind of struggling as bm,s are high past few weeks so thinkin honeymoon period is ending! Im still very much learning what is what but appreciating all the help from u guys on here!

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Sorry bret that jus really confused me what is my l/c and ive not really been given my ratio so im jus goin by 1 unit rapid for 10g carbs after reading tgis site today as they keep saying im in honeymoon period and my bloods came back with c peptide normal so theyre sayin i dont have typical type 1 but also dont have type 2! Its been 8 months but ive never really been taught to carb count etc my dafne isnt till nov but kind of struggling as bm,s are high past few weeks so thinkin honeymoon period is ending! Im still very much learning what is what but appreciating all the help from u guys on here!
Jus re read that and realised u meant insulin/carb ratio and that was an i instead of an L! Sorry makes more sense now!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, insilin carb ratio. As long as your able to work out how many carbs your eating, record that among with the insulin amount you use, test at 2 hours after, and 4 hours after that will help.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Doona1
You ate doing great, without a confirmed type of diabetes... You seem to be grasping so much, so quickly. Never worry if you come back and check peoples wordings or interpretations.....best to be sure.. Bretts words better than mine!!-lol!! I couldnt find ways to tell you!!

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Doona1
You ate doing great, without a confirmed type of diabetes... You seem to be grasping so much, so quickly. Never worry if you come back and check peoples wordings or interpretations.....best to be sure.. Bretts words better than mine!!-lol!! I couldnt find ways to tell you!!

Thanx guys

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi donna your doing great , have a look at The G i index of food on the internet as well ,this helped me out loads to stop chloes bloods rising .for example white bread is like sugar you have a fast high rise and then its digested before your insulin has finished working which can then lead to a hypo . Brown bread , ,wholegrain pasta and cereal are all better than the white/normal variety and also watch milk that can also act like a fast sugar .just a few tips that have helped me

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thats great thanx ill have a look at the index! I dont really eat a lot of white bread but i do like my pasta ill trynthe wholegrain! Ta great support