Savoury slices

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I miss not being able to eat a biscuit or similar convenience food. Ideal for lunch boxes, & as breakfast bars.

These slices are simply made & can be eaten hot or cold, & can be reheated with the bacon & egg, or microwaved & splurged with ketchup.

4 oz (113 g) grated cheese
6 oz (170 g) grated carrot
2½ oz (70 g) ground almonds
2½ oz (70 g) oats or oat bran
2 eggs (beaten)
2 oz (60 g) soft marg (Benecol) or softened butter
season to taste
mix together

Preheat the oven to 190°C
Press into a buttered 8" (200 mm) square tin (I use a silicone one)
cut into 16 squares

Cook for 22-25 minutes.
remove from oven & recut the squares
after cooling for a few minutes, remove onto a wire rack
keep in the fridge

Yield 18 oz (540 g)
About 4 g carbs per slice - less if bran is used

I haven't tried, but a sweet variant, resembling carrot cake should work.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I use the food processor to chop up the ingredients, & the beater to complete the mixing. All sorts of variations are possible, including substituting cooking apple for the carrot, & adding sweetener. Serve with yoghurt or cream.

I saw this slim booklet poking out of a bookcase & saw "90 Recipes from the Iona Community." I first encountered the Iona Community 20 years ago when they sang on Radio 4's "Daily Service." Their songs based on Scottish folk tunes are delightful. I phoned the help line & was told it was a special recording, & the tapes were not available. So I phoned the IC office & they sent me a catalogue...

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Today I replaced the carrot with cooking apple, & added cinnamon & sweetener. I replaced the oats with oat bran & wheat germ. Worked well, but using strong cheddar gave an odd taste. Should have used a mild sweet cheese like Wensleydale, or a cheese spread.

My packed evening meal today is 3 slices each of the the carrot & apple, together with brazil nuts & dried apricot. About 20 g carb total.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I went straight form the gym to the Hounslow diabetes support group meeting. I forgot my metf, but my 2 hours after reading was 6.2.

On arrival we were offered tea/coffee & Indian savouries. I said they were carb & not diabetic friendly, & was told I had to eat carbs! I related my experience, & she listened attentively.

Useless meeting - the scheduled heart consultant did not arrive, & the substituted DVDs didn't play through the projector. All we did see was a Mozambique diabetes project of still photos & overloud Mz "music." We did learn that there are very few type 1s in Mz. They die within a year without insulin.

dillydog

I made the savoury slices this morning, and they were excellent, full of flavour, could taste each ingredient (I had to try one straight from the oven, yummy). Could really recommend these, and will definitely be making them again. Thanks for the recipe.

broads

Made it for the first time this morning, absolutely scrumptious. Trouble is it is too moorish. Thank you.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Further variations I've tried:-

Use only ground almonds as the dry ingredient
Include soya protein
Include gram (pea) flour
Add 1/2 tsp baking powder (I add this to every mix)
replace the carrots with bananas or cooking apples, & add 1 tabsp sweetener
Use a soft cheese (spread or cottage)

That reminds me - I must make another batch for tomorrow.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Birthday cake

Yesterday evening, the day before my birthday, I was playing tennis with our regular group of 8, so I made a birthday cake.

I made a nice round cake with my "savoury slice" recipe, & took along some soured cream to simulate icing if anyone wanted it. To avoid surprises, I did quote from Spock in "Startrek" - Its cake, Jim, but not as we know it.

It was very popular, people came back for more, & there was a demand for the recipe.

I was going to make a sweet version, with soft cheese, cocoa & Splenda, but accidentally added herbs... That I will do.

gardenfairy22

Happy Birthday Ian. Hope its a good one. I have a supply of savoury slices on a high shelf, for emergency use only, they are good and really easy to make, good texture.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Thanks, GF.

The chocolate version with soft cheese & cocoa & Splenda worked fine though of the 140 g dry ingredients I should have used less cocoa - 15-20 g instead of 25 g. Also a shorter cooking time (20-25 mins instead of 28) would have given a better texture for cake. I made up some Splenda choc spread as a topping, with soft marge, & ground almonds. Milk powder could have been added - its all different every time, & always works OK.

Why emergency use? I use it when my wife has potato or bread, & take some out. A batch lasts about 3 days.