5-2 diet & type 1

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has any type 1 tried the 5-2 diet?

Not interested in people's opinion on the diet itself, just wondering if anyone's tried it and if it affected bg :)

Thanks!

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
Didn't do the 5-2 which sounds like more of a fad derived from intermittent fasting. I am currently doing intermittent fasting with regard to carbs where I fit all my carbs into one or two meals within a 6 hour window so I only have one(or two) blood sugar spikes a day and can rely on my basal to keep my bg steady for the rest of the day. I find it makes it easier to make adjustments to my basal when I'm not having regular spikes from multiple meals.

Not really the same thing but posted anyway. It helped keep my HbA1c low since switching from low to high carb.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Has any type 1 tried the 5-2 diet?

Not interested in people's opinion on the diet itself, just wondering if anyone's tried it and if it affected bg :)

Thanks!

Indiana x

I thought that I read on here a while back that it wasn't suitable for T1?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

XIX

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was doing 5-2 until I was diagnosed, but in the book it states that it's not suitable for T1s...Might keep going with it though and see what happens.

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
I was doing 5-2 until I was diagnosed, but in the book it states that it's not suitable for T1s...Might keep going with it though and see what happens.
Its not recommended as initially you would be using less insulin due to less daily carb intake and from what I've heard of the diet you try and hit ketosis(not sure if most people do this) but I would imagine you gain some amount of insulin resistance due to triglycerides present in your blood and their subsequent use for energy.

If you have decent insulin management I don't see how it could hurt. Most diabetes educators frown on low carb and fasting diets simply because they think t1's should have "normal" diets and not restrict themselves but if you can make it work I don't see why not.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess it would be like doing fasting days. Which I need to do anyway.

Was looking for people that had tried it and their take on things.

Indiana x

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know your not looking for opinions about the 5 - 2 diet, but my partners brother is doing this diet and he has lost a lot of weight but he is not diabetic. So I can't answer how it affects bs but it is not advised for diabetics. Rather than having fasting days on a diet because of insulin requirements would you be better with something like the Newcastle diet

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mom and dad are on it and are looking good and have lost loads. My dad said that he's never felt so healthy.
As long as I keep taking my basal I don't see why there would be an issue. It would be exactly the same as basal testing anyway apart from that you can actually eat!
My injection sites are terrible so if I can have two days a week where I can inject less I can only see it as a win win situation for me.

I'm not cutting out insulin all together and I can't see how I'd be putting my health at risk.

I'm going to try it anyway, there's only one way of finding out the effects isn't there!

Indiana x

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Very true Indiana, can you just go careful and if you have problems then please stop the diet

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Indiana,

Yes, me!! I'm doing it. I started it about 6 weeks ago and have only had a couple of minor hiccups. I'm on a pump though which makes it slightly easier. My basal rates are good so my bg doesn't really move throughout the day. I don't do a complete fast. I miss breakfast, have 10 carbs for lunch and about 30 carbs for dinner, which comes in at about 400 calories for the day. The only thing I have found is that although my basal rates on a night following a non-fast day are good, I have to halve it for the night following a fast day. I also need a slightly lower i:c ratio for my breakfast on the day following fasting (I normally have a breakfast ratio of 1:5, but it goes down to 1:4).

Reactions: 2 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Brilliant thank you!
What do you eat at your meal times then?
Has it made an effect on your weight?

Thanks for your help :)

Indiana x

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I skip breakfast and have a slim-a-soup for lunch (these are 8-10 carbs and around 55 calories depending on which flavour), I might have an apple mid-afternoon if I'm desperate but otherwise I'll go until dinner and have a salad, or some Heinz soup if I want something hot or the mushroom stroganoff that's in the 5:2 book (this is really filling and sees me through the whole evening). And then sometimes if I'm hungry I'll have a small orange during the evening. I always stick to any of these combinations on fast days so I don't have to think about what to have.

Although I need to lose weight I'm doing it more for the health benefits. I haven't weighed but I've noticed this week that my clothes are getting looser so I'm guessing I've lost a few pounds. Everyone says that on non-fast days you'll not feel like eating all the things you've been thinking about while fasting and I didn't believe this but it's true. It has completely changed the way that I think about food and this is what I needed. Being a type 1 I had a distorted relationship with food - I always had to have it around me because it made me feel safe, but now that's changed and even on non-fast days I often skip meals because I'm not hungry.

Reactions: 2 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds good. I'll have a go, I guess that even if I don't stick strictly to the 500cal it'll still be something won't it?
I'll give it a bash!

Indiana x

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I follow this way of eating. Been type one since childhood (35 years). I low carb anyway and on fasting days I skip lunch. If my bg is raised I have a small correction to pull it down, if not my background insulin keeps me stable until my evening meal which is usually lots if veg in some form and protein, maximum 10-20 carbs which I have quick acting for. Good luck.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

nosey26

We have a 5:2 diabetics group on fb if you want to look it up. I'm type 1 and doing it. My bs have never been so good. It really does change your relationship with food. :)

Reactions: 6 people