Cholesterol high

Antonyponraj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is two months now on low carb. BS are in good control (between 90 to 145 ml/DL).but this is about my cholesterol. Till about a year ago my TC 240,HDL 26,LDL 176,TG 185. GP put me on Statin and it came to TC 120,LDL 96,TG 112 ,HDL 36. And I discontinued the station since I started LCHF since Jan20 this year. Today I had tested my Lipid and is gone back to my original high level.
TC 262,Tg 190,LDL 178,HDL 39.
Can anybody explain me ? Should I start again station as my GP suggests.
Is this because of LCHF...?

Looking for opinions pl.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi

I am not on LCHF so do not know if this lipid increase is to be expected. Hopefully one of our many LCHFers will be able to give you advice in that respect. Personally, I would not want my lipids at the levels that yours are and would take the offered statin.

Take care

Doug

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
On LCHF your numbers change LDL will go up it changes to light and fluffy which is good. On carb diets your LDL is tight and sticky not good.
l am also LCHF and wont take statins.
There is lot of info on the web google
Low carb high fat diet and cholestrol.
And a lot of scientific papers on it as well if you look.

Antonyponraj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But why my Tg also increased. I have lost about 5kg in these period.But now there is no weight loss.and my HDL also has not increased. Why.Am I dofferent? Confusing and discouraging.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two months isn't very long, though certain genetic factors can have an impact as well. Normally substantially reducing carbs will reduce triglycerides and raise HDL. I would give the LCHF diet at least 6 months before giving up.

Where are you located? I'm assuming not the UK since you're using the US way of reporting cholesterol? If you're in the US, you should be able to get an NMR or other (VAP?) test that does a particle count of your LDL - apparently that's the most important factor in lipid analysis.

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems to be fairly typical that when people initially start LCHF their lipids go up, but eventually come back down again.

I don't know if you've heard of it, but there is a diet book written by Dr Ranesh Sinha, MD called "The South Asian Health Solution" based on traditional foods/diet - there's a brief overview in this video:

Reactions: 5 people