Diagnosed with Type 2 and struggling.....

caitrionaanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all

Ive been diagnosed with type 2 only 2 weeks ago and am really struggling with every aspect. Its like i cant accept that I now have this life long chronic illness with awful complications down the line if i dont control it.

Im really struggling with the diet part - I feel like I am so restricted and cant see how one can keep that kind of diet up for life. I hate meal times and food shopping now - I feel like i just hate food. Is this a normal reaction or am I just odd.

I have been so down - anxiety/depression. On antidepressants but the way im feeling is that I dont see a light at the end of that tunnel. Everything seems like such a chore and its only been a short time. Im seeing Diabetic Nurse in few days but still waiting to see dietician and attend the consultant, etc.

Has anyone struggled with acceptance and does it get any better?

John sweeting

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Ive been diagnosed with type 2 only 2 weeks ago and am really struggling with every aspect. Its like i cant accept that I now have this life long chronic illness with awful complications down the line if i dont control it.

Im really struggling with the diet part - I feel like I am so restricted and cant see how one can keep that kind of diet up for life. I hate meal times and food shopping now - I feel like i just hate food. Is this a normal reaction or am I just odd.

I have been so down - anxiety/depression. On antidepressants but the way im feeling is that I dont see a light at the end of that tunnel. Everything seems like such a chore and its only been a short time. Im seeing Diabetic Nurse in few days but still waiting to see dietician and attend the consultant, etc.

Has anyone struggled with acceptance and does it get any better?

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi Caitrionaanne,

welcome to the forum, you are in a good place here. there are lots of lovely people here who can answer your concerns. we have a moderator named Daisy who will post advice given to newly diagnosed people.
i think we all have a degree of denial when we are first diagnosed. everything seems a chore. I know I found that. We need food to survive and you should enjoy your food, to see what foods effect your blood sugars and which don't it would be an idea to get a testing kit. Test just before you eat and again two hours after to see if the levels have gone up. To help with keeping your blood sugars lower it is a good idea lower your carb intake. Have a look around the forums on here for ideas.
It does get better, you will get lots of support here. Ask as many questions as you like. Good luck ;)

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes I struggled with acceptance so threw myself into the science to try to understand more. I actually eat things I wouldn't have touched before and enjoying new tastes. Things get better

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

John sweeting

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening, I am quite recently diagnosed (about six weeks) I think, so I don't much yet other than this site is full of people who are only too happy to share their experiences and offer advice based what they have actually been through. I would say,don't panic, I half expected my own diagnoses and decided to tackle it head on. For me, I. Have found that getting back down the gym has helped, though luckily I quite enjoy a good workout. Small changes will make a difference (sweetener in tea as opposed to sugar etc) and exercise - any type of exercise even if it is walking up and down the stairs, keep at it, increase gently. It isn't that bad, really it isn't ,so chin up and face it down.

caitrionaanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have a testing kit and am finding readings are all over the place! Something that didnt affect me last week, does this week! Maybe its cos Im so stressed and anxious that it may be affecting me. I hope to be able to enjoy food again someday.

Up to my diagnosis, my diet was really bad and i did no exercise but at the same time, my diagnosis was an unexpected shock as I had no symptoms - it was just a routine blood tests.

I have real difficulty in craving the sweet foods that I love, chocolate especially. This is where I find shopping most difficult cos bad foods are just everywhere. I really struggle with meal ideas for my lunches to bring to work too and find im having the same things all the time.
Im trying to pull myself out of the depression and going back to work tomorrow but i have no motivation and everything is just so hard.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is hard, and it isn't fair, but then unfortunately life tends to be like that! My initial reaction was anger - WHY ME?? But I'm learning to be more positive, and to look at the benefits - I'm actually able to eat a much better diet now with a lot of food that I want to eat, rather than my head cook and food shopper husband chooses for me. I've been put in a position where I'm losing some much needed weight, something I was reluctant to do previously, and I really do feel much better all round now - I had felt permanently exhausted and like death warmed up for so long I'd forgotten what it's like to be "normal". So all in all I have my diabetes to thank for a rather better quality of life over the past few months.

Your diet doesn't have to be restricted, just different, which does take some adjustment, but you can eat well and keep on enjoying some of the foods you were eating previously.

Do you like dark chocolate? If so some of the high percentage cocoa bars are fairly low in sugar/carbohydrates - the one I have is Lindt 85%, and as long as you don't go mad and it it all at one sitting , it shouldn't cause any problems.

Robbity

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
I have a testing kit and am finding readings are all over the place! Something that didnt affect me last week, does this week! Maybe its cos Im so stressed and anxious that it may be affecting me. I hope to be able to enjoy food again someday.

Up to my diagnosis, my diet was really bad and i did no exercise but at the same time, my diagnosis was an unexpected shock as I had no symptoms - it was just a routine blood tests.

I have real difficulty in craving the sweet foods that I love, chocolate especially. This is where I find shopping most difficult cos bad foods are just everywhere. I really struggle with meal ideas for my lunches to bring to work too and find im having the same things all the time.
Im trying to pull myself out of the depression and going back to work tomorrow but i have no motivation and everything is just so hard.
I believe that you are in for a very pleasant surprise...
Once you get to know what foods to buy and what foods to abandon you will develope a new palate and new tastes and realise that your new diet is actually a blessing in disguise. Try to see your Diabetes as an ally, not an enemy. Work with it rather than against it and you will reap many healthy rewards, so much so, I believe that you will be healthier than the non-Ds in this world.

ONMYPC

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Not being in control!
@caitrionaanne

Welcome to the forum I have only recently joined myself and have an appreciation of how you are feeling! For me one of the key elements to helping to get a grip on it all was by attending a X-PERT Diabetes education course!

The course offered the opportunity to meet some people going though similar issues from all walks of life and to gain a better understanding of what Diabetes actually is and what is required to help manage it going forward.

One of the key things I have realised and learnt through my initial diagnosis was that it's not a "single" thing to change but more a change to the approach to life!

As I am sure everyone will tell you it takes time to get your head around it and to understanding what it is! Understanding what it , is the first step to getting yourself ready to help manage it!

Yes - It is a challenge!
Yes - it is going to be hard at times !
Yes - Their is a way forward!
Yes - Their is help avaiable!
Yes - You do need to want to learn and change!

By joining the forum and posting your first post you have taken that very important first step of sharing and asking for help!

In answer to your question "Does it get better!" Yes - by learning more about it and understanding it is Key! It becomes better to make better choices that are right for you, which will help you better manage your Diabetes!

Hope this find you well!

ONMYPC

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Catrionaanne and welcome to the forum. As mentioned by Bernie above, here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask any questions you may have and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 70,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am new to all this, having been diagnosed out of the blue in January. I believe "baby steps" at first is the way forward. It doesn't have to be done all at once. Taking extra exercise is essential, but that doesn't mean full on workouts at the gym. A 30 minute brisk walk every day is a very good start and a very good exercise. Cut out the obvious sugary culprits. You know what they are. Cut out shop bought junk food. Reduce your carb intake but you don't need to reduce it too low initially, do it gradually. Baby steps. You are right at the beginning of this journey but before long you will be in the groove and more relaxed about it all. Keep a strict food diary. There are apps to help with this. Write down everything that passes your lips. Read food labels and learn how to calculate how many carbs/calories/proteins.fat/fibre etc you are eating. Try not to stress too much as this will not be helping!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

as bluetit said, baby steps
seeing you love chocolate, buy cocoa powder, vanilla concentrate, peppermint essence and a pot of cream. Make yourself a nice hot chocolate, sit down and relax, make it with water, cream, a drop or 2 of vanilla concentrate and peppermint essence. now because there are virtually no carbs in this. make another one. sweetners if you wish.

Reactions: 5 people

caitrionaanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks everyone. I just need to get the hang of the food thing and learn to like food again. It's really difficult. I have had a craving for a Twix or Mars bar for about a week now n it's getting worse!!! I hope these cravings go. Guess I'll learn as I go along to accept it and think positive but right now I feel that my life had been turned upside down.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the reason you feel your life had been turned upside down, is because your life had been turned upside down.
instead of a mars bar, try cocoa and desiccated coconut mixed with butter into balls, set in the fridge and then roll in cocoa powder,

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It will be difficult but after a while you will realise how much junk food we are all offered and you will appreciate a much better diet. In fact it can even be fun looking for real food in amongst the mountains of carby junk. You are not alone out there so you won't be the only one studying the food packaging!

K

Kat100

It can be a struggle , up and down times are common, stay positive though you can learn to cope .....it is not easy always though .
Find and get as much support as you can, from all area,s that you find helpful .....Kat

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi Caitrionaanne,

welcome to the forum, you are in a good place here. there are lots of lovely people here who can answer your concerns. we have a moderator named Daisy who will post advice given to newly diagnosed people.
i think we all have a degree of denial when we are first diagnosed. everything seems a chore. I know I found that. We need food to survive and you should enjoy your food, to see what foods effect your blood sugars and which don't it would be an idea to get a testing kit. Test just before you eat and again two hours after to see if the levels have gone up. To help with keeping your blood sugars lower it is a good idea lower your carb intake. Have a look around the forums on here for ideas.
It does get better, you will get lots of support here. Ask as many questions as you like. Good luck ;)
Fab advice! :)

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
the reason you feel your life had been turned upside down, is because your life had been turned upside down.
instead of a mars bar, try cocoa and desiccated coconut mixed with butter into balls, set in the fridge and then roll in cocoa powder,
Sounds yum! Please could you post the quantities!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Get into the habit of reading the ingredient list on packaged/processed food - it was a real wakeup call for me. If it reads like a chemistry experiment with more than a few real food ingredients, I put it back on the shelf.

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
Hi caitrionaanne and welcome.

I was diagnosed in January and like you I had no symptoms, it is perfectly normal to feel the way you are right now, it would be odd if you didn't! You're probably also feeling like you've just been left to get on with it on your own. A recurring theme here on the forum is the lack of credible advice from most healthcare professionals (although there are some good ones out there), you will get excellent advice here.
There is plenty of dietary advice on the forum too, while I miss being able to eat anything I fancy, I really do enjoy my meals and food shopping.
If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask them here.
Trust me it really does get easier.