Lantus and morning reading - help please!

Georgealice

Morning all!

Up until about 3 months ago I had pretty good control of my diabetes (not perfect, but good enough and consistent). Things have all gone a bit haywire now though (probably due to me having a stroke at the end of last year (I'm 31 - whaaaat?) and the new meds I'm taking now - anticoagulants and whatnot).

I've had to adjust my insulin:carb ratio for my bolus dose, which I've just got right again, but I'm tearing my hair out trying to get a good morning reading!

I used to be on 28u Lantus, and provided I went to bed around 8-10 would wake up between 4-7 - that's fine for me (I know some people prefer tighter, that's something for down the road). If I go to bed at 8, with 28u now I will certainly hypo in the night (about 1-2 hours after my basal dose). I've tried reducing the dose but still hypo right down to 22u. But at 22u I'm waking up with reading of 14-16.

Someone suggested splitting my dose so I'm trying 14/14 morning and night. I have lovely readings during the day with this and need less bolus (Novorapid), but I'm waking up at around 26!!

I'm open to any suggestions here (sorry for the long post). Maybe 50/50 for the Lantus isn't right. My diabetic nurse is very new (my first visit to her she actually asked me to spell Novorapid as she hadn't heard of it, and asked if Lantus was my long acting insulin). She's lovely, but I don't feel like she can help me!

Gaaaaaaaaaah! George xxxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You could try split dosing or you could move the time in which you take your lantus insulin, like you I use to take my lantus before bed (around 10-11pm) and did have the occasional night hypo, my DSN suggested moving it back to earlier in the evening so I did and not really had any bother since, I now take my lantus between 6-7pm.

btw, hope you make a full recovery from your stroke.

Georgealice

Thanks noblehead, I didn't think about moving the whole dose to an earlier time (although thinking about it that seems the obvious solution), that might do the trick since I would have had the potential hypo before I'm asleep and would be able to have a snack if needed. I'll give that a go.

Am pretty much fully recovered from the stroke thank goodness. I guess one of the good things about having it quite young is that your body is better able to cope (touch wood)!!

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well you can try it and see, often with diabetes it's trial & error to find the right solution. It's good news that your nearly fully recovered, the stroke must have come as quite a shock.

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

norwaycook

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
people who make a big deal out of beIng a diabetic
I used to be on Lantus and I used to take 20 units at 5 o'clock at night and another 6 units in the morning discovered taking the morning Lantus by mistake when one day I took it by mistake