Amputation

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rugby
I have been having several problems with my left foot over the last few years, what with ulcers, toe amputations and the onset of osteomyelitis I have been told that the problem is not going away and that it will lead to further complications, my life has been on hold for the last 5 years, I seem to get to a point when everything seems close to healing for it all only to breakdown again and put me back to square one, the vascular team have basically told me that this is going to keep happening and it is just going to be a constant cycle of what I have been experiencing over the last few years and therefore the only option to avoid all of this would be to have a below knee amputation, as this is not the first time that I have been in this position is has not really come as a shock, however as you can imagine I am a little concerned as to what the whole process is going to involve in the way of recovery once the operation is done and how I move forward from there, I am currently awaiting my appointment from the Vascular Team to discuss this and get things moving but I would be grateful to hear from anybody on this forum that has been in this position and their story of the whole event, I seem to have a positive attitude at present towards loosing the limb and moving forward with my life so I just want to prepare the best that I can before D Day comes!

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Even though I haven't had any amputations, my partner just spent 2 weeks on the surgical ward going through tests and she saw a lot of diabetic amputations. And in every single case they were smokers or ex smokers, please don't think I'm preaching here as I am an ex smoker but this is fact and I I'm not even saying you smoke but you can't get away from the facts

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rugby
I have never smoked so the loss of my lower limb will not be due to this, for me it was an infection that I incurred when I had a work accident over 15 years ago and what I thought was a minor injury has been causing me problems ever since.

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
I have no experience of amputations but I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck. You obviously have kept up your positive attitude and I am sure this will help over the next coming months. I hope it all goes well. :)

Dzialo

The only experience I have is with my grandfather by him it was on both legs and it came from type 2,but he never looked worried after that and kept on living his life I only have good memories from him

rizzo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't experienced this myself, but my father (who is no longer with us) had a below knee amputation due to gangrene which developed from a cut on his foot and which wouldn't heal due to badly controlled blood sugars. He was awake during the operation but he was drugged as when I went to see him the same day, he was happy as Larry! He then spent the next few days regaling his friends with details of the operation and laughing heartily whilst telling his story.

After that, he went home and adapted fairly quickly to the prosthesis after a few minor adjustments.

I think you have already done the most important thing, which is to develop a positive outlook on your situation. Good luck.