Workplace confidentiality?

Lea76

Ive just found out a manager at work has told an employee (based at a different site to me) that I have diabetes. I was only diagnosed a year ago and to be honest I don't like people knowing. I have only told close friends and family. Do you think they should have done this? I'm extremely annoyed :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
They might have just mentioned it in passing, I'm sure there was no intent to cause you upset.

Reactions: 2 people

patjenkins1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All your colleagues should be aware of your condition incase you need medical help. I know a lot of people like to keep things to themselves but for conditions such as diabetes or epilepsy the more people who know what to do to help you in emergencies, the better

Reactions: 4 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
You could certainly make a complaint but realistically this sort of thing happens all the time, workplace gossip etc. I would also be upset but that's life !

Lea76

No need for this colleague to know he is approx 6 hrs away from me and I've never met him lol

Just think it's unfair that someone in such a high position told someone something so personal! I know it won't have been said maliciously but still ...! :(

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
No need for this colleague to know he is approx 6 hrs away from me and I've never met him lol

Just think it's unfair that someone in such a high position told someone something so personal! I know it won't have been said maliciously but still ...! :(

I agree it's wrong but, hand on heart, have you never gossiped about anyone at work ever ? I have ! Guilty as charged !

Babz62

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My manager told me it would remain confidential, however he did suggested I tell a few close colleagues. Eventually I just started to talk about it myself and now everyone in the dept knows.

Lea76

Maybe I'm being over sensitive I was just taken a back that management talk about my health to other people!
I know we all gossip but shouldn't someone in a position of trust not disclose such sensitive information.

I could think of better things to gossip about lol :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly, do you know the context of the message? It could be that the person was talking about someone newly diagnosed (even themselves), and you were mentioned in a supportive, "really got her act together" sort of way.

Secondly, I have no idea which variant you have, but as a diet controlled T2, I cannot see why anyone (in the context of work) needs to know I am diabetic. As a T2, not on medication, I am hardly any more likely to hypo than a non-diabetic person, and other than for that, why would anyone reasonably need to know? Again context.

I would certainly prefer not to be talked about, but in positions I have held, that is unlikely to have been the case.

In your shoes, I would consider speaking to the person who told their colleague and try to get to the bottom of it. Then you could also let them know of your preference for discretion.

I'm sorry you have found it so upsetting.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Maybe I'm being over sensitive I was just taken a back that management talk about my health to other people!
I know we all gossip but shouldn't someone in a position of trust not disclose such sensitive information.

I could think of better things to gossip about lol :)

Management are just normal people like us. They will, and we will, gossip about many things, affairs, money, sex, ill health etc ! I totally agree it's not right but it's life. Rise above it. You're diabetic and have nothing to be ashamed of. I couldn't care less who knows about mine :)

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know managers have asked about my health in past to others because they care. Having diabetes should be nothing to hide or fear others knowing. Depending if your on medication or not others may need to know. However if your unhappy with this then tell your manager.

Lea76

I'm type 2 and to be honest quite ashamed of it. Think that's why it has annoyed me so much. I believe the reason was because someone they knew had been diagnosed recently.
I'll get over it just having one of those days when everything gets to me.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depending on who has been told and the context, this is potentialy a breach of the EU Privacy directive which designates personal health information as regulated data, as such it can only be shared under certain justifiable circumstances. You should find out who is responsible at your workplace for privacy compliance, this will usually be the same person with responsibility for data protection or information security who should be aware of the regulations.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Somebody will be responsible whether they know it or not lol, one or all of the directors.all companies have to comply.

Under the circumstances best to have a quiet word and point out that this is not only the wrong thing to do but illegal. In fact the fines for a breach are surprisingly large although unlikely to be levied over a single breach.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

There is a difference between office gossip (who snogged who at the Christmas party) and disclosing confidential medical information. I think you have every right to be upset and angry :(

I agree with the bear. Have a quiet word and ask him to do the same with the colleague he blabbed to about the importance of discretion.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm type 2 and to be honest quite ashamed of it. Think that's why it has annoyed me so much. I believe the reason was because someone they knew had been diagnosed recently.
I'll get over it just having one of those days when everything gets to me.

Yes I can understand your feelings. I am type 2 and ashamed too. We shouldn't be ashamed, we have nothing to be ashamed of, but I haven't quite got around to believing this myself. It sounds like your boss was probably praising you and saying that if this other newly diagnosed person needed someone to talk to, you would be good. If he was saying good only things about you, then he wouldn't be so careful about confidentiality. He probably doesn't put any blame or stigma onto you and therefore doesn't realise that you would be hurt by any of this.

Don't just 'get over this' , feel proud of yourself and how you are coping with diabetes.

I also agree with the previous post from Avocado Sevenfold. Your boss, for his own sake, as well as for others needs to be more careful with personal medical information

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i recently blabbed a confidential thing, i was specifically asked to stay quiet about an employees wife being pregnant, we was in the tea room and i asked him how hes wife was getting on being pregnant etc, he gave me the shocked smiley icon face while everyone else gasped, i realised my mistake instantly and was mortified id betrayed him, im not defending your boss im just suggesting he maybe didnt think or as said, something similar was being discussed and it just popped out

i wouldnt be ashamed, i believe i brought db on myself from living a really unhealthy lifestyle but that just adds to the story, its nothing to be ashamed about at all, your sweeter than everyone else, be proud, pity them for not being sweeter :)

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aah, Andy...that was something my Mum used to say...pity them for.... (whatever). Thanks for bringing back many happy memories for me!