is it possible to build up with a protein diet with diabetes?

dbginge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i am diabetic and attend the gym when I can but would like to bulk up more but I can see this being a problem as a lot go on these high protein diets with low carbs but obvisouly as a diabetic we need our carbs so our sugars don't go to low,
cheers for any responses

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
i am diabetic and attend the gym when I can but would like to bulk up more but I can see this being a problem as a lot go on these high protein diets with low carbs but obvisouly as a diabetic we need our carbs so our sugars don't go to low,
cheers for any responses
You don't need carbs "so your sugars don't go low". You can bulk up on a low carb diet well enough provided you get enough calories. The problem with high protein high fat diets for bodybuilders though is that it also has to be high calorie (ie over your daily expenditure of calories) so that means very high protein and/or very high fat. High protein has been associated with kidney damage in those prone to kidney damage like diabetics. High fat also causes insulin resistance so you will have to use a lot more insulin while on that kind of diet.

My advice would be to eat carbs but keep them to very slow releasing sources such as berries, plums, strawberries and legumes.

I currently eat 250g carbs a day but only over two meals which limits me to two possible blood sugar spikes throughout the day and my basal keeps me 4-5 throughout the rest of the day.

Reactions: 2 people

dbginge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't need carbs "so your sugars don't go low". You can bulk up on a low carb diet well enough provided you get enough calories. The problem with high protein high fat diets for bodybuilders though is that it also has to be high calorie (ie over your daily expenditure of calories) so that means very high protein and/or very high fat. High protein has been associated with kidney damage in those prone to kidney damage like diabetics. High fat also causes insulin resistance so you will have to use a lot more insulin while on that kind of diet.

My advice would be to eat carbs but keep them to very slow releasing sources such as berries, plums, strawberries and legumes.

I currently eat 250g carbs a day but only over two meals which limits me to two possible blood sugar spikes throughout the day and my basal keeps me 4-5 throughout the rest of the day.

Thank you, so having high calories would you eat sort of junk food? Even so this will require doing more insulin

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
Thank you, so having high calories would you eat sort of junk food? Even so this will require doing more insulin
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
No, there's no need to eat junk food just to fill calories. Most calories in junk come from saturated fat(9 cal/g) and refined sugar(4cal/g), whereas you can get polyunsaturated fat(9cal/g) from fish, nuts, peanut butter, olive oil, avocados etc. And more complex slow digesting carbs(4cal/g) from what I listed before.

Thats not to say you can't eat junk to fill your calorie quota its up to you but generally you'll feel better eating a little cleaner but in the end a calorie is a calorie and a carb is a carb. I find eating junk hits my calorie quota quicker as the foods are generally smaller volume but higher in energy and so I end up feeling hungrier and less satisfied later in the day but I've already consumed more than enough calories.

The only reason I would recommend you avoid a lot of junk is simply because of trans fats, nothing to do with diabetes but they have a strong correlation with heart disease/cancer/liver damage unlike their saturated and unsaturated counterparts.

Last edited by a moderator:

joelcam

Hi..I weight train 4 times a week and do some cardio also. I've done this for the last few years and have been T1 for 4 years....I have put about a stone on although my aim has been to stay in good shape, not necessarily bulk up. Anyway, I am in very good shape so I know what works for me, can't guarantee what would work for you. I train at 6.30am-7.30am without eating beforehand...I then have some tinned fish and a piece of fruit and some nuts of any sort with a small amount of insulin...for lunch I'll have wholemeal sandwich and some more fruit with some insulin. I eat whatever my wife makes for evening meal...if I snack it's usually some packet chicken etc...so no carbs really.

Dont eat junk though, that'll do you no good....just try to eat plenty of protein...and enough good carbs.... The other hugely important factor is what you actually do in the gym. If you have no idea of what a good workout looks like then it makes no difference what you eat, you'll never really get in decent shape.

Also you obviously need carbs but it dont think you cant low-carb. I eat next to no carbs really and for that reason my insulin use is low...I have 3 units with breakfast, 6 with lunch and about 4 with evening meal...and I'm 35 years old and 12 stone but all muscle. You only need carbs to combat a hypo if your insulin use was too high to begin with...get that right and you can eat low carbs..happy to share anything else with you if you need.

Reactions: 2 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is possible to bulk up on a low carb diet. I got to 14.5 stone when I played rugby by doing weights around 3 times per week and consuming around 30g of carbs per day. You don't need gargantuan amounts of protein either, it's a bit of a myth, but you will need to consume a decent amount of protein. For me a protein shake and protein with my lunch and dinner was enough.. To increase your body weight you need to increase your calorie consumption, most recommend an increase of around 200 kcals per day. Most importantly, you will need to find yourself a good hypertrophy routine and work hard whilst your exercising.

And many of us on here follow a low carb diet, as stated I'm on 30g per day. It's very easy to control your diabetes if you eat fewer foods that raise your BGs.