Do I have Diabetes? Concerned :(

FK1983

Hi all,

I have been concerned that i may have diabetes and wondered if anyone could help advise me?

For as long as i can remember i have always been thirsty (and i mean thirsty!) drinking a good 7-10 <u>litres</u> of water per day and still always thirsty no matter what i do, i'm always tired even if i have a good sleep and always going to the toilet,

i'm not very active as i'm waiting for a back operation, not sure if this makes a difference?

My thirst seems to have got a lot lot worse in the last few weeks, always have a very dry mouth etc,

My dad has recently been diagnosed with diabetes which has further worried me,

I've also been having a few problems with my eyes but i'm not sure if this is related at all to be honest, eye infections and keep going to opticians about my vision,

What should i do?!?
Many thanks in advance.

ash

Echo this, I'd book up to see a doc, and ask to be tested.

In the mean time, cut out the processed sugar in your diet, or switch to sweeteners.

How old are you ?

HBa1C 6.3 T2

FK1983

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ash</i>
<br />Echo this, I'd book up to see a doc, and ask to be tested.

In the mean time, cut out the processed sugar in your diet, or switch to sweeteners.

How old are you ?

HBa1C 6.3 T2
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
i'm 25 (two weeks ago lol), i am overweight (need to lose about another 2 stone ideally, lost a stone already) due to being inactive because of my back pain/problems, quite hard to do things when you can't move lol,

i am in the process of changing doctors so is a bit of a pain getting to see a doctor :(

do you think this sounds like it could be that or am i worrying about nothing?

also forgot to mention i seem to always be shaky and feet are always cold but again, not sure if this is related to my back problems?

also, what tests would be done by the doctor?

ash

You are a bit young for type 2, but it is not unknown. They would probably start with a urine test, and also take a blood test.

If you cannot wait to see one, you could pick up a blood sugar tester in the chemist for between £10 & £15, but make sure you test 1st thing in the morning before eating (fasting test), which will give a good indicator of a problem. Anywhere between 4.0 & 7.0 is normal on a fasting test.

HBa1C 6.3 T2

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
If there is a Lloyds chemists branch near you, they also offer a blood testing service. Not as accurate as a test at your GP would be but would at least give some indication of whether you might be diabetic.

siddywest

Hi,

Lloyds chemist do offer instant results and advise you exactly what you need to do, ie see Dr immediately, in a few days or whether no action is needed. Found them really helpful at the chemist.

Michelle.

FK1983

ok, just spoke to my dr on the phone and he is giving me a fasting blood test form to take to the hospital?

but being friday i won't be able to have it done until monday now :(

siddywest

That's great news, at least you will get your answers. Good luck for Monday and let us know how you get on.

Michelle.

ash

You should be able to go to Lloyds tomorrow morning then if you don't want to wait the weekend, but I'd give them a ring first to check.

HBa1C 6.3 T2

sugar

Good luck for Monday! Ovbiosly, it is difficult for any of us to say whether you are diabetic or not, so I wouldn't like to hazard a guess. Just to say that if you find you have joined the diabetic club, it doesn't have to be so bad...and teh good news is that it is treatable, and knowing what the problem is means that would hopefully start to feel better soon.

The other thing I would add, is to reiterate what was said above. I was once told, that a diabetic diet is a healthy diet...and everyone should be on it! Now, there are many discussions, on this forums alone about what constitutes "healthy", but for the weekend at least, it may help to eat as few carbohydrates as possible. This meas cutting back on not just the sugary stuff (ie, the stuff I love!:oops:) but also the bread, the pasta, the potatoes etc. Even apples and bananas can contain carboydrate. If you could stick to things like eggs, green veg, really low fat yogurts etc...and of course not full fat drinks (although tea and coffee without sugar is fine!) just for teh weekend, it might help. It might not either...but would do no harm for the weekend! Don't worry, I am not suggesting that if you do find you are diabetic, that you can never enjoy a chip again...diabetics who are being treated for the condition, can chose what they eat, although many do prefer to stick to teh low cab (as oppose to NO carb!!) option. Eat as normal the night before your blooe test though...wouldn't want to alter the result artificially!

It must be really tough, back ache is bad enough, so you really have my sympathy!
Like I said, I am not an expert....and like any advice you get...especially from people you haven't met, you have to judge for yourself...but I don't think that limiting your diet for 2 days could do much harm?

What do others think?

FK1983

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sugar</i>
<br />Good luck for Monday! Ovbiosly, it is difficult for any of us to say whether you are diabetic or not, so I wouldn't like to hazard a guess. Just to say that if you find you have joined the diabetic club, it doesn't have to be so bad...and teh good news is that it is treatable, and knowing what the problem is means that would hopefully start to feel better soon.

The other thing I would add, is to reiterate what was said above. I was once told, that a diabetic diet is a healthy diet...and everyone should be on it! Now, there are many discussions, on this forums alone about what constitutes "healthy", but for the weekend at least, it may help to eat as few carbohydrates as possible. This meas cutting back on not just the sugary stuff (ie, the stuff I love!:oops:) but also the bread, the pasta, the potatoes etc. Even apples and bananas can contain carboydrate. If you could stick to things like eggs, green veg, really low fat yogurts etc...and of course not full fat drinks (although tea and coffee without sugar is fine!) just for teh weekend, it might help. It might not either...but would do no harm for the weekend! Don't worry, I am not suggesting that if you do find you are diabetic, that you can never enjoy a chip again...diabetics who are being treated for the condition, can chose what they eat, although many do prefer to stick to teh low cab (as oppose to NO carb!!) option. Eat as normal the night before your blooe test though...wouldn't want to alter the result artificially!

It must be really tough, back ache is bad enough, so you really have my sympathy!
Like I said, I am not an expert....and like any advice you get...especially from people you haven't met, you have to judge for yourself...but I don't think that limiting your diet for 2 days could do much harm?

What do others think?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
aww! thanks for the replies,
i did actually post on this forum and another but this one seems by far the better of the two putting it nicely! (the other didn't get a reply!)

but yeah, thanks for all your help and advice, im in two minds about this, in one way i just want to know why i'm thirsty all the time and always having no energy along with the other symptoms, so if it turned out this was the cause then at least that is something,

on the other hand, if it turns out not to be this i really have no idea what it could be,

forgot to ask, can diabetes cause skin problems and cold feet/hands?
thanks!