Breakfast

Coll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling unwell :(
What do you have for breakfast? I'm struggling to find something that doesn't spike my readings. I've tried porridge and I've tried yoghurt and fruit.
The best thing so far has been a banana... But left me hungry after.
I'm T2 diet controlled.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Eggs ? bacon ? sausages ? what fruit did you have with yoghurt as some are high in natural sugars ? Perhaps try a few berries or nuts in the yoghurt. I think it's just trial and error. You are quite fortunate that a banana doesn't raise your levels as many find they do.

Coll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling unwell :(
Yeah it probably was the yoghurt!
A banana raises it but nothing near what porridge and this morning did!

I'll try some eggs and bacon tomorrow I think.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
As Mo said.....Plus scrambled, poached eggs, omelettes, cheese, cold meats, fish.....Full fat Greek yogurt with a few walnuts, blueberries, and a bit of flax and coconut to add chewiness is good. There's no reason either why you can't have left overs from dinner the night before. It took me a while to get my head around that one, lol, but it's food and that's what we're looking for. If you don't have a meter, get one. Experiment and test to see what suits you. Good luck ;)

A

AnnieC

What ever you can eat that does not raise your BS think food not just breakfast food you can actually have anything for breakfast .I often have some salad with left over cold chicken ham sardines or tuna as well as what is mention in the other posts.
I can eat two small slices of granary or wholemeal toast so a favorite for me is grated cheese tomato and onion in the food processer and wiz it all together with a little plain greek yogurt or creme fraiche then spread it on the toast and put it under the grill until it bubbles.. my guilty pleasure with it is topped with a little tomato ketchup....Heinz reduced sugar and salt one doesn't raise my BS...
I personally could not face yogurt and fruit for breakfast

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Omelettes with homemade tomato salsa, spicy. Or I do a chinese egg foo young with peppers, ham and a few little prawns, with some gluten free soy sauce. Scrambled egg with bacon, occasionally I make a spinach egg e.g. fry spinach in butter, pop it in a ramekin pop on an egg add some parmesan and cook in the oven for 10 mins.

tonym650

I have found the best method is to record your sugar for specific foods in a diary, then base your diet around the best results for you. I was told porridge was good for me, I get a 14-16 sugar reading 2 hrs after, and takes more than 6 hrs to get down to 9.. Whereas scrambled eggs (2) keeps me at 7 2 hrs after eating. Sure I cant live on eggs, but I have a whole list of foods that I can live on. Carbs are a no no, if I follow blood records. Then they tell you eggs are bad for cholesterol? Go figure....

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I have a poached egg and a sausage with mushrooms or tomatoes. You can buy 97% meat ones from Asda and Lidl. Sometimes I like to live on the wild side and have a cheese and mushroom omelette or even swap the sausage out for bacon. I like to live on the wild side! Got fed up with eggs at one point but now I just eat them. My husband always makes it so am grateful for whatever is put in front of me although I usually do the evening meal!

bandito22

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Medication!
Hi,

I don't really like eggs/bacon/leftovers for my breakfast as I used to enjoy traditional cereals but now they spike my levels massively.

However, I found one that doesn't spike my levels (i am type 2) and equally, does not taste like sawdust!

It's called 'nuts and seeds' by Eat Natural.

I have posted a new thread about it and emailed the maker to see if they can reduce the sugar content even further.

Regards.

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
When I'm not having a fry up then its uncooked porridge (measured half cup) with about 25grams of whey protein. I don't like cooked porridge.

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Scrambled eggs and baked mushrooms c/o the diabetic breakfast recipes free download.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Green smoothies
Home made easi yo yogurt, Greek or stevia sweetened,
Scrambled egg with mattersons smoked sausage
Sliced ham and cheese (the quickest and easiest ever! Don't even need a plate)
Low carb cake (basically almond flour, egg, apple, cinnamon and xylitol)
Fruit and yoghurt
Yoghurt and low carb muesli
Coffee with double cream
Bullet proof coffee (google it. Yum)
Omelette
Spanish omelette
Cheese
Ham spread with Philadelphia and rolled into a tube (very portable)
Get Up And Go by Patrick Holford
Almased
Home made hot chocolate (cocoa powder, double cream, xylitol)
Grilled open mushrooms with cheese (or ham, or mattersons sausage)
Smoked salmon (without bagel)
Bacon and egg
Sausages
Fried breakfast (minus toast, hash browns and fried bread)
Livlife bread as toast
Low carb biscuits (made with almond flour not wheat flour)
Low carb pancakes (made with coconut flour)
And, as Beachbag says, anything you eat at other meals.

Admittedly, most of these are only practical at weekends when you have more time.

On work days, for me, it is usually a green smoothie, or yoghurt and fruit, or bullet proof coffee, but I am about to make some low carb butter biscuits. Will see how they go...