Not taking long acting insulin, lantus.

arielle13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Type one diabetes! Ha
My name is Arielle, I'll be 20 in May & I've had type one diabetes for 18 years. My question is, I don't take my long acting insulin like I should. I was taking Humulin twice a day morning & nights. However my doctor switched me to Lantus. This is taken once a day. The question is, how will this effect my body or my diabetes in the long run if I'm not taking this?? I've noticed higher blood sugars but nothing horrible has happened. I wasn't even sure if there has been any research on this. Just wondering. Thank you!

audsital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat carbs!
Hi arielle, i too take lantus once a day and from what i understand it helps keep your bg stable over a 24 hour period. If the doctor has prescribed it then u should take it. U said u are having high readings throughout the day and in the long run that is not good for you, taking your lantus should help control that. Good luck:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wasn't even sure if there has been any research on this.
The result of insulin-dependent diabetics not taking insulin is death. If historical evidence is not good enough for you (all such diabetics have died horrifically before insulin was discovered because we did not have insulin to treat them) here is no shortage of diabetics admitted to hospitals with DKA as a result of not taking any insulin today.

Sorry to be blunt, but you are being stupid.

If you don't take the insulin your are supposed to, then you are much more likely to die or suffer from preventable complications. Diabetics have a much higher rare of cardiovascular problems compared to the healthy population, and keeping your blood glucose within recommended limits helps cut the excess risk.

In your case, keep in mind that only long lasting basal insulin lasts long enough to last throughout the day (e.g. The insulin you take to cover your dinner will be gone by morning) whilst your body will continue to use (in cells) and release (from liver stores) glucose throughout the day; as a result, BG will inevitably creep up between meals - a healthy person would be releasing a small amount of insulin throughout the day to cover this, and this is exactly what Lantus is desiged to do.

Reactions: 2 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi welcome to the group.

I'm a type 1 on levemir and have also been on lantus. These types of insulins are MOST important. My consultant stresses that your basal (long acting) insulin is more important than your bolus (short acting) insulin.
It keeps you stable throughout the day and reduces the risk of ketones. If you skip a meal and don't have your bolus then you are at a higher risk of starvation ketones as you have no insulin at all.
It's very irresponsible to stop taking it.
If you've noticed that you have higher blood sugars why haven't you tried to rectify it by taking your insulin properly?
Is there a reason for why you have stopped taking it?

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
I totally agree with the above posts,
after a while your bloods will get higher and higher till you end up in a bad way if not dead, as youve been diabetic this long you should really have been taught this, is there any reason you arent taking it?? you took your basal before ok so what has changed?? please start taking it and hope to hear from u soon

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Wholeheartedly agree with what's been said, it would be foolish not to take your basal insulin and run high bg which could lead to DKA and long-term complications, if your having issues with injecting then it's best that you speak with your diabetes team asap.

aaronjunited

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes
I'm type 1 and have been on lantus since being diagnosed nearly 3 years ago. I take my lantus before going to sleep. Although I should be trying to get to sleep around the same time each night, bed time does vary for me. If you set a time and take your lantus at that time every night then you will be giving your body the necessary background insulin it needs over a 24 hour period.

Lantus helps keep your levels balanced over that 24 hour period. I have had badly controlled levels off and on over my 3 years experience with this illness. Not taking your lantus is without doubt the worst thing you can do.

I have gone a few days without taking it and it really effects your levels over the days you don't have it in your body. Taking your fast acting (novorapid for me) won't solve the problems that occur when you don't take your lantus. You will feel like death throughout the day and night, your mood will be down really low, mood swings included, constantly confused along with frustration thrown in there to make things worse.

No need to mention the dangers of your levels being up higher than normal is self explanatory.

You need to start on a set unit for lantus and increase by 1 or 2 each night depending on your readings when you wake up or have breakfast. Your doctor should be helping you with taking lantus especially after moving you on to it.

If you want to talk or have any questions, message me privately if you have too.

Get it sorted!!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 people