Vitamin D and all that jazz.

C

catherinecherub

I recently read a post where a forum member advised a depressed woman to get a bottle of Vitamin D capsules and treat herself with large doses for a week or two.

Nothing was known about the Vitamin D levels of the person and it seemed that no Doctor had tested to see if the levels were low.

Some interesting articles concerning Vitamin D.

Vitamin D supplements do not reduce depression.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/274295.php

Study questions health benefits of Vitamin D supplementation.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/271589.php

Vitamin D supplements. Are they really good for our health?

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/271975.php?nx

I would recommend to anyone that thinks their Vitamin D levels are low to get tested by their G.P. Too much Vitamin D has side effects too. These include,
Poor Appetite.
Weight loss.
Tiredness.
Sore eyes.
Vomiting.
Diarrhoea.
Muscle pain.

Reactions: 2 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also a calcium serum check needs to be done as high levels and vitamin d are dangerous
Carol

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My gp surgery couldnt request them!! Or at least thats what gp said!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
EISH me thinks he is a liar Donally is also in Nice guidelines my dr gave me a printout on it all l got the impression it is a worry

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My gp surgery couldnt request them!! Or at least thats what gp said!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

My GP said the local lab are reluctant to do vitamin D tests even if requested by the GP - they sometimes send them back She requested mine when I said I have a low vitamin D and need to keep a check on it but put additional information on the request.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The vitamin D test is expensive and that's why GPs are reluctant to test for it. You can have your own done by a NHS laboratory http://www.vitamindtest.org.uk/

Having been there and got the t-shirt, I disagree that Vitamin D supplementation does not decrease depression.

I was mis-diagnosed with chronic fatigue, when I was actually Vitamin D deficient. The chronic fatigue nurse told me that my fatigue and depression would lift once my levels of Vitamin D were up to normal levels, she was right.

For balance read this website http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
My gp said that the meds are cheap even the pharmacist did so god kows what they (gp) are all up to but they all say different things.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm with you Denise. Vitamin D made a HUGE difference to just about every aspect of my health, especially energy levels, fatigue, ability to exercise, dysbiosis and pain. Even now I know I'm getting low because I start getting knee and ankle pain. No wonder they call it the sunshine vitamin, because that's the effect it has on my moods.

If they are finding chronic low levels of Vitamin D among Australians given our sun exposure, imagine how it much worse the situation must be in northern latitudes?

However, I do agree being tested before starting on it, especially in massive doses, is a good idea. I started out on 2000 iu, then reduced to 1000iu when I reached optimal levels, then spread out the dose to only a few times a week or when I know I'm not getting my 20mins a day of full sun exposure - 20 mins to 75% of the body is the minimum needed to keep your levels topped up.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The funny thing is, the only reason I was tested was because I refused to take a statin despite my high cholesterol (due to previous bad side effects when taking one). The endo said that low Vitamin D can make statin side effects worse, so his plan was that if my Vitamin D was low, we'd fix it and then I could take statins - I'm still not taking statins ;)

Given the link also between statins and the development of Type 2, more than likely low Vitamin D is involved there as well.

Desert Diva

I had a blood test for Vit D level requested by my Gynae and was so deficient that I am on weekly doses of 50,000iu for 6 weeks..I live in the Middle East where the sun constantly shines...(factor 50spf has a lot to answer for) and now I wonder if the low level of Vit D was the cause of my Type2 diabetes.....

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a blood test for Vit D level requested by my Gynae and was so deficient that I am on weekly doses of 50,000iu for 6 weeks..I live in the Middle East where the sun constantly shines...(factor 50spf has a lot to answer for) and now I wonder if the low level of Vit D was the cause of my Type2 diabetes.....
I believe they're also linking it to really high levels of MS in the Middle East as well.

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
I started to take it because I have Arthritis and hardly get out in the fresh air in Winter. And it was a good alternative to an expensive health lamp. Just one a day is recommended.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP said the local lab are reluctant to do vitamin D tests even if requested by the GP - they sometimes send them back She requested mine when I said I have a low vitamin D and need to keep a check on it but put additional information on the request.

My GP included Vitamin D without me asking and the results came back in the 'very low' category. He put me on a supplement and I'm currently awaiting the results of a second test. (BTW: Denise - how long did it take for the supplement to kick and for you to feel any difference?)

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Tom l am on them had 40000iu/day 10days part way through last week my pains massivly improved. Started last week if that helps but we are all different. l am still tired

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tom l am on them had 40000iu/day 10days part way through last week my pains massivly improved. Started last week if that helps but we are all different. l am still tired

Thanks. I've only been put on 800 iu/day and I've been on them since early Feb. I thought the dose was a bit low but I'll wait and see the results from my latest blood test (yesterday), although the first available appointment I can get with my GP to discuss them is 24th April!

Over the past few months I've had a variety of pains - in my hands and feet, mainly - and have been feeling tired, throughout. The pains have come and gone (I've been free of any this past week, so maybe it's working after all?)

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
My knees were killing me for yrs to bend down. I saw one consultant who said operation l said no so got physio.. but forgot to ask what sort of op. Went for check up months later 2nd consultant said l was fat nothing wrong. So lived with the problem since around dunno 2008/9 just around a week on vit D and so far huge difference. Still sore but not like having a knife in them.
I am still tired but think that is partly sleep pattern...or lack of after 11 yrs nights and all the stress l have had over last few years and so will see what happens.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It took about a month before I started feeling better. I started taking the Vitamin D at the beginning of December and when I went back to work in the New Year after having about two weeks off, my colleague commented that I was 'much brighter'. I don't think it was to do with the break.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I felt like a switch had been flipped to on after about a week or so - beforehand I could barely walk to the end of the street, within a month I was walking for an hour a day and loving it.