No diagnosis just questions

Sarai

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I know I am jumping the gun a bit here but I need answers. I have an autoimmune illness and have had prednisalone for inflammation.
For my whole life I would have said I could never have diabetes as I get low blood sugar regularly and need to eat, at least every 2 hours.
For years now I have been the joke among friends as I need to wee far too often, including at night, some nights maybe ten times. I was thinking hormones as I am in my 50's. I get thirsty but I am not frantic. My other symptom is profound weakness and tiredness. The oddest thing is feeling shaky and weak, like low sugar when I have eaten a good meal, which is worse if I also have a pudding.
My GP has done plasma glucose ( not fasting as I couldn't imagine getting to the surgery without breakfast). I don't have the results yet and am beginning to think it will come back OK. Yet I know I should not feel drowsy and shaky when I am full.
I really want a resolution.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hi
i dont know your other illnesses but steroids can cause side effects and also higher blood sugar,without u knowing what your bloods are i cant say at all whether it sounds like diabetes, i would get a blood monitor if worried and contact your drs to see if results are back, sorry i cant help more

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
Hi Sarai,

First some background about me ....
I have been a Type 1 diabetic on insulin for 44 years, and in April 2013 I was diagnosed with another autoimmune disease (T1 being the first one) called "Vasculitis" which means inflammation of the blood vessels. So this is a very serious possibly life-threatening disease for which there is no cure and has to be treated urgently with steroids (Prednisolone) and also an immuno-suppressant drug to stop the immune system from attacking my blood vessels.

http://www.vasculitis.org.uk/about-vasculitis/what-is-vasculitis

Please provide the answers to these questions:-
1) What is the autoimmune disease that you have been diagnosed with?

2) How long ago did you start taking Prednisolone?

3) Re .."For years now I have been the joke among friends as I need to wee far too often, including at night, some nights maybe ten times. .... I get thirsty but I am not frantic. "
- It is well known that extended use of steroids can cause diabetes
- have your night time weeing started SINCE using steroids, or did you get that BEFORE the taking of steroids?

4) Re .."My other symptom is profound weakness and tiredness. The oddest thing is feeling shaky and weak, like low sugar when I have eaten a good meal, which is worse if I also have a pudding."
- many autoimmune diseases can give a whole range of different symptoms, so that is why we need to know the name of your disease

Please share with us this information and we may be able to offer some advice.