When to test??

Upya

Hi there, I have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes (2 weeks ago) and I am currently trying to reduce my BG levels using diet alone.

I am in the process of trying to see what food/drinks work and what doesn't work for me and I have read several posts where people say that the best way is to try the food and then check your levels.

I know this may sound a silly question, but I wanted to check exactly how to do this. Is it a case of checking your levels first before the food/drink and then again afterwards and compare the two??

If so, how long do I need to wait after eating or drinking the items before doing the second test to get a valid result??

Unfortunately although I have been referred to a diabetes diet workshop, I am still waiting for a place and therefore full of questions still.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Lee

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Lee,

In the Section Diabetes Discussions there is a topic "Sticky - General Links for Diabetics". You will find that this has a lot of information on diet, and in particular the effect that carbohydrates have on your sugar levels. Have a good browse through this before you go to the diabetes diet workshop.

Upya

Thanks for the responses, I can now start working through what I am still able to eat and what not, in the knowledge that I am doing it correctly.

I most certainly will have a good browse through all the links, there just seems so much to take in all at once, I feel like I am wadding through treacle.

Thanks again.

ChocFish

Hi Lee welcome to the forum, as Dennis says the best way is to read your way through the forum, then decide what to do with all the info, pick yourself the bits that appeal to you most and you will soon work out what works best for you, we are all different and what works for me might not do anything for you at all.

And ask away all you want there is usually someone here with the correct answer.

All the best

Karen

Challenges can be stumbling blocks or stepping stones, it depends how you view them

fairiesue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, being lonely, being so far from my family...they live in Scotland i now live in England (3yr) spiders, smokers,
hi everyone...been here a few times read a lot but never posted, loved the link to when to test and what results should be.im from Scotland.

been type 2 diabetic for about 3years now and hate it like evryone else but hey nothing i can do but live with managing it.
on Metformin 2x500mg twice a day but only take in morning.
2mg Amiryl once a day. am now being waiting to see diabetic nurse in hospital to put me on some kind of injection instead of the Amiryl...not insulin. Im now 16.12 stone and 5'1" tall...was taking a few dizzy turns during the day was very tired even after sleep, forgetful and the kids said i was kinda spaced out!
I try hard to watch what i eat and my real problem is not having enough exercise sugar is usually between 9 and 5.2. I appreciate all you posts and you all seem as confused as i am at times and have good responses.

take care of you....fairiesue...xxx

david200110

I got my Ultra 2 from the diabetes nurse on Tuesday, which has 10 strips. She said to test 3 times a week till see her again in 3 weeks.

Any suggestions as to time of day for the 9 tests? Should I test at the same times each week so it is a constant thing or different times which might show any changes during the day?

Am I right in assuming that I will have to use the first strip for the control solution?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

david

Lady J

Advising you to test three time PER WEEK is completely and utterly ridiculous.

How on earth are you supposed to get any valid information to help you adjust what you eat or how you manage if you can't test every day? Follow the link above for an idea what I'm talking about.

Advising you to test three times a week is as bad as not asking to test at all. It will be very very difficult to make anything of the results if you ask me. The idea is normally to test before and after a meal so that you can see the effect a particular food is having on your diet.

If I were you I would argue back and say you need more strips on prescription.

LJ

Cosy

I have been Type 2 for a year and I am told just to test twice a week one day on waking and before dinner and other day before lunch and before bed. So is this not any use at all, I must admit the last few days I have not tested at all as I have been eating easter eggs and loosing the plot.......... Due at 'problem' clinic in hospital next month dont know what they will do then !!!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Fairiesue,

I believe the only injectable diabetes medication that isn't insulin is Byetta, which is what I am on (plus a few other people who regularly post on the forum). If it is byetta that is going to be prescribed just ask if you have any questions about it. I will be very happy to help you if I can.

fairiesue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, being lonely, being so far from my family...they live in Scotland i now live in England (3yr) spiders, smokers,
<font color="green"></font id="green">Hi DENNIS....thank you for your reply and help, i saw that you had done a post with questions and answers and found it to be very helpful....man of great knowledge :) ha ha ha
Just waiting on hospital app to start my injections.

Keep smiling everyone ...its good for your soul.

fairiesue...

Whitevanman

Hi Lee, And a warm welcome to our club.
You have proberly been told to test twice a week same as me.
You will have to buy another machine with all that goes with it, lances and strips.
With this you can test when you want to and that way you will discover over time what works for you and what dont.you will also discover when a HYPO is about to come on, Also how much food and which food you nead. Another thing you will nead is Lucozade energy glucose sweets, these give you 4mmol of glucose in an emergency, these you will find at sweet shops
The one thing that will help is a walk of at least half an hour, a trip to the shops is a good way to lower your mmol reading.
Accu-Chek meters also provide a lot of real helpfull support.
You may also fine eyesight problems , i had eight paires of glasses in three months .
Graham.
And remember you are one of us now, Just ask.

Reactions: 2 people

Upya

Thanks for all the warm welcomes.

I have been given 3 months to see if I can control my BG levels with diet alone by my diabetic nurse.

I am 3 weeks into this and have brought my readings down from 23 on the first day to 13 today.

My first hba1c was 12.8.

I have been following the diet advice strictly and have been swimming twice a week and exercising a lot more regularly than I ever have before.

I am hoping to be able to control my diabetes with diet alone as I have quite a hectic life style with two disabled children and can't guarantee what times I can eat. Have been told that once on medication you need to be strict with this to avoid hypos, which I find pretty scary. Unfortunately the diabetic nurse thinks I am looking at a medication route :(

I am determined to prove her wrong, but either way I am sure you will be seeing my face around here regularly.

Thanks again for all the welcomes and the help you have given me already.

junieliz

Hi Upya, keep up the good work, you have done well so far bringing your reads down, keep visiting the site for info take care junieliz

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Lee,

It seems to me that you have two targets if you are to persuade the diabetes nurse that you don't need medication.

First target is to get your sugar levels right down. Second target is to find an eating regime that will keep them that way.

The best solution to the first target, especially as you have less than 3 months to achieve both, is probably to embark on a very low carb diet. Try to cut out as many carbs as possible from your food (no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes - instead substitute other vegetables and have a higher protein portion). Also no fruit juice (good for getting you out of a hypo but not for much else). Try this for a week and monitor your sugar levels at least 4 times a day (before breakfast and 2 hours after, before supper and 2 hours after). You should be able to see a steady reduction day by day in your sugar levels. Of course to do this you will have to be very aware of exactly what is the carb content of everything you eat.

Once the levels are down you can start to experiment by adding one of the banned items (like a rice or pasta dish) and see what the effect is. You will soon come to realise which foods have a bad effect on you and should be avoided. Keep a record so that you can show the DN that you are taking this seriously.

I know that it sounds a lot of fuss and hassle, but spend a few weeks doing it now and it will benefit you for the rest of your life. Diabetes is a progressive illness so you may well have to go on to meds some time in the future, but why not keep off them as long as possible while you have the chance.