Abdominal Fat

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
If you are saying you did all that and didn't eat before hand and/or during then you are causing a lot of problems if you are not eating you will get liver dumps and quite probably large ones if you are doing so much with no food in you. A liver dump is when your liver dumps glucose but it doesn't have a stop on us T2 and although there is a hormone controlling it this is often faulty in T2s and with or without it you are likely to get an overdump because you are a T2, hence eat before and even without exercise every few hours so you do not get liver dumps.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Started today.

No Nurishment. Feel hungry especially after hour and a half of shadow boxing, punching/kicking kick bag. Followed by 30 mins of cycling/sprinting/jogging.

Will try keep it clean and lean when I get in.

Get chiseled physique or die trying :)

Hi!
I love your enthusiasm!
Okay - couple of thoughts that you may like to consider,

1) No Nourishment before you begin your training is a good idea. It means that your body isn't busy trying to digest and cope with all that glucose going around your body and can instead focus at the task at hand. For somebody without diabetes, their pancreas pretty much switches off insulin production when they exercise, and the muscles use a different mechanism to take glucose out of the bloodstream.

2) Depending on how intensively you are training, your liver may be triggered into dumping glucose into your bloodstream. The liver usually just tops up BG to be at a healthy level, but if your heart rate rises significantly, a cascade of events in your body trigger the liver to dump glucose. You will therefore get a BG rise.

3) In order to manage blood glucose rises, it is best to combine both higher intensity exercise with lower more moderate exercise. Moderate bouts of exercise allow your muscles to just gobble up the glucose in your blood, and doesn't trigger more to be released. Additionally where high intensity exercise causes the muscles to basically burn just glucose, at moderate intensity fats are burnt at a higher proportion (which is good right?)

4) If you are doing a couple of hours of pretty demanding exercise regularly, and eating a low carb diet, you run the risk of not allowing your muscles to re-fuel and repair adequately between sessions. Depending on what your BG is when you finish your session (ideally it would be best to do a 20 min 'cool down' jog to allow your muscles to soak up any of that extra glucose swimming about), if it is at a reasonable level - say 7 to 8mmol/l, then why not drink your 'Nurishment' at this point?

Remember, after a pretty tough bit of exercise, your muscles (and liver) have just burnt through a load of on-board fuel. They need to re-stock, and for the next few hours they are going to need to get that energy back from somewhere. If you are doing this much exercise on a regular basis, then you will begin to feel fatigued because you are not allowing your body to recover adequately.
Why not give your body what it needs (an energy/protein drink say) to recover 15-20mins or so after your training, then low carb all other meals?

Places to look for more advice -
http://www.torqfitness.co.uk/nutrition/torq-recovery (just read the 'science behind' - obviously it's not quite the same when you have diabetes, but it's nevertheless good science)
www.teambloodglucose.com Take a look at the Type 1 case study movie - (it might be interesting, even though you are type 2) Specifically pause at 2.55min into the film - there is a diagram that shows how different fuel sources are burnt at different rates. At moderate intensity 50% of fuel comes from fat sources, but at high intensity this reduces to 25%

Happy training! Keep up the good work - Mr Chiseled perfection in the making!

Reactions: 2 people

GlazedDoughnuts

Bebo321, that's seriously an awesome post.

Very informative. I've ditched the Nourishment for Protein powder + oats. I felt it badly today, had a bad day, was caught off guard and had a hypo around 16:00.

Didn't work out well, as a friend noticed I'm very irritable, and being somewhat mean. Anyway, sorted that with a drink, but strength was down this session.

As bloods stabilised, off to Martial Arts I went, back to normal, feeling like an energiser battery! Hit hard and fast, worked on technique, and a fitness test at the end.

Mr. Diabetes wasn't bottom of barrel :D

Edit:

Bebo321 - I've got another 'whacky' idea which is to go to the gym before work each morning for some Martial Arts shadow boxing/punch bag/footwork session.

Which means, in another 8 hours, I'll be back at the gym, lifting weights. Trouble is, I don't want to kill off my energy stores to the extent that I'm lifting less, as I think building muscle is crucial for better control, and Martial Arts.

Am I over thinking it, and should I just stfu and keep it simple, or do you reckon I can get away with that?

I've done it in the past, but wasn't doing martial arts then, so it was pretty much hamster on a wheel type cardio early morning followed by weights after work. It was awesome for weight loss, but I couldn't lift as much compared to days I skipped early morning cardio sessions.

So if I can counter the fatigue, I'm defo up for it. I could do with improving my martial arts techniques :)

Last edited by a moderator:

GlazedDoughnuts

Worked out strenght issue. Got on scale...ooo err lost 2lbs since stopping Nurishment lolol.

Defo need to up calories/protein just a tad. 10 stone is a bit too light imo.

Goal is lean 12.5 stone. Long way to go...but my work pants are way too big now. Same woth shirts, too lose around waist makes me look fatter than I am lol.

This chit thread will now be my log...

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
GlazedDoughnuts, if there was a prize for enthusiasm, you would win it!

Okay, first things first - you had a Hypo. Sorry to hear that.
Remember with increased activity your insulin sensitivity will ramp up, and make you more susceptible to hypos. I don't know your meds/dosing, but you may want to consider making some adjustments to better reflect your increased activity. If you are unsure what adjustments to make, you may want to seek advice from a healthcare professional.

You mention being a little out of sorts? - that's actually fairly normal when you lower your carb intake. If you're feeling a bit sluggish, just imagine your head on Daniel Craig's body and stay positive!

I think the idea to do a morning workout is an excellent idea - by working out in the morning, your insulin sensitivity will be sparked up for the rest of the day. What you will have to do however is to give your body what it needs after your workout in order to let it fully re-charge ready for anything else later on in the day. That means drinking a carb and protein loaded concoction soon after you finish. Ideally drink a sports drink/shake designed with that in mind, as it will have other essentials in there to ensure you recover quickly.
Remember the carbs you take on board straight after exercise go directlyinto re-stocking your muscles and liver, unlike any other time of day (if you haven't been active) when carbs may be carted off to your fat stores.

It would be sensible to check your BGs a little more frequently whilst you are doing such an intensive program of training. No point looking like an adonis if you have to do yourself damage in getting there!
Also, you haven't mentioned taking days off? Remember to have at least one day of complete rest a week to allow yourself to recover properly.

Have fun and stay safe!

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
As your gym instructor for advice. I know its all vibrating plates these days but I prefer this.
I don't know where you would get one though, but you can concentrate in on your tum.

Vibrator belt.jpg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ye gods. I'm exhausted just reading this thread.

Can't GlazedDoughnuts at least upload an avatar of these wondrous muscles?
I may not understand fitness-speak, but I can certainly look at the pictures :wacky:

Reactions: 2 people