Beyond exhausted :(

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I am now about 3 weeks on from diagnosis. CONSTANTLY ready to fall asleep. My eyes sting all the time cos they just want to close. I have been like this since I can remember. Still having the odd spike but seem to be around 4.5 rising to 9ish post-prandial. Is this a diabetic thing and if so when will it go?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
What meds are you on? I felt light headed, dizzy at times and very tired. Metformin 500 mg x 2 daily and 1x 20mg statin 1x ramapril too. What diet are you following? I follow LCHF. Gradually dizziness wore off but took about 4-5 weeks. Some days I wake up and is 5.5 on good day and 7 on bad day. Feel I'll usually if it spikes. Highest was 9 an hour after food. Your bs will gradually stabilise. Your body is having to adjust to meds and new diet. Our brains are often ready before our bodies. Be prepared for weight plateau for few weeks too. Take care x

Reactions: 4 people

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Scandichic. It're reassuring to know things will level out (soon I hope) Not on meds, DN has 'allowed' me 8 weeks (from d-day) to try and get them sorted. Being as she wont give me a meter I think she was asking too much (so I bought one lol) She INSISTED I should eat 'normally' but just cut out the obvious sugary foods. So I have ignored her and am doing LCHF. I do wonder if some of the shakiness is carb withdrawals lol :)

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Thanks Scandichic. It're reassuring to know things will level out (soon I hope) Not on meds, DN has 'allowed' me 8 weeks (from d-day) to try and get them sorted. Being as she wont give me a meter I think she was asking too much (so I bought one lol) She INSISTED I should eat 'normally' but just cut out the obvious sugary foods. So I have ignored her and am doing LCHF. I do wonder if some of the shakiness is carb withdrawals lol :)
This is why I asked what diet as I had similar symptoms. It feels like it will no ever go away but the instances get less and less. Promise! I also had 3 weeks of no weight loss or rather increasing and decreasing during a 7 day period so no overall weight gain or loss. Hang on in there. It's the norm for this diet. Dn at hospital said this is also common due to body getting used to everything and bs stabilising. Your dn sounds as helpful as the dn at my docs surgery. Saw the consultant at the hospital and he was horrified at the lack of care! Did you know about the sd code free bs monitor which you can get on ebay and amazon? Ebay quickest delivery eg next day - only £7 for 50 strips. Much cheaper! X

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi:) Shelly, some of your porblems could be due to starting a whole new way of life, your body will take time to adjust. hope all goes well for you

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Being as she wont give me a meter I think she was asking too much (so I bought one lol) She INSISTED I should eat 'normally' but just cut out the obvious sugary foods. So I have ignored her and am doing LCHF. I do wonder if some of the shakiness is carb withdrawals lol :)

It's exactly what I did and when they gave me an HBA1c after 8 weeks they got quite sulky that I was down to 48. "Well, it's OK for a diabetic I suppose".

I pointed out that it's usual to wait 12 weeks for a HBA1c and the DN got very upset eventually telling me that she had an A level in biology.

She didn't like when I said she's know a lot about the reproductive cycle of a buttercup then. I wouldn't have minded so much but she was obviously in worse shape than I was.

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats the meter I bought having seen it mentioned on here. The whole family want their BS checking every 2 minutes so gone through a fair few test strips so far :D
Yorksman, I think the medical profession are still spouting the government guidelines and that even they know its probably not right. Prove them wrong by disobeying and you're in trouble hehe :)

Coll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling unwell :(
I was diagnosed a few weeks ago and left to it too! I've just had 5 days off work with, I think, low carb flu.
I'd already cut out sugary foods so am now trying to low carb, as my levels
Spike after pasta/bread etc.

I'm starting to feel better and feel a bit more in control so keep going. Test, test, test!
It's ridiculous how they expect us to manage with no meter and support. Thank goodness for these forums!

You'll get there... :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Songbird966

I have been suffering with tiredness for almost 20 years. I could never understand this as my sugar levels (I'm type 2) are mostly under very good control. My doctor has now decided I might be suffering from sleep apnea which, I understand, is common in people with diabetes. It may be worth exploring this possibility.

Reactions: 3 people

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll give my usual list of conditions that can cause extreme tiredness
  1. High Blood sugars
  2. Vitamin D deficiency
  3. Vitamin B12 deficiency
  4. Underactive Thyroid
  5. Iron Deficiency anaemia
  6. Depression
These are worth investigating.

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goin to have to try and get sorted. Its ridiculous how much I have to fight to stay awake sometimes. I average about 7 hours kip per night, that should be enough to stop me nodding off all day you would think!!! Thanks for the replies everyone, its food for thought....DID SOMEONE SAY FOOD? :D

scooterlad75

I was diagnosed with sleep apnoea, and currently use a cpap machine, life changing! Coupled now with exercise and eating better, I've never had so much energy! Worth getting checked out for it. Takes a bit to get used to, but you soon take it to it! Keep us posted!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App