people who ignore me because of my amputation
Does anyone have it and what are your symptoms

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
I take Omeprazole which depletes my guts ability to produce B12, so I have reduce my omeprazole intake to 1 pill every 4 days which is easy for me to do on a HFLC diet and on my 3rd or 4th day I eat liver or liver pate. You cannot get B12 supplements as it is produced in the gut.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm pretty sure that you can get B12 supplements. But my understanding is that they usually need to be taken with other B vitamins incl. folate as they all work synergistically. Also, for extreme deficiency they usually give B12 injections.

From memory there are different types of B12 and the common one used in supplements isn't that crash hot. The best form for absorption is Methylcobalamin but most multivatims etc. have cyanocobalamin (the cheap and inefficient version).

It does require stomach acid for release, so proton pump inhibitors/acid blockers can interfere with absorption.

budgyb

I have just been told that a routine blood test picked up a B12 deficiency, I have just had 1 of 3 injections that are planned over the next 3 months before I will be given 1 every 3 months.
Only noticeable personally through feeling lethargic/ / lack of energy / tiredness.
Cause probably long term use of Meformin.

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With B12 deficiency you feel like you have to drag yourself around and have no energy. About 35 years ago I was diagnosed with pernicious anaemia following the Schilling test, and then had B12 injections for a few years. A new doctor said I didn't need the injections anymore as my B12 levels were fine, but I've not felt really well since. Before I was diagnosed with diabetes I fully expected the blood results to show my B12 were low as I was fatigued all the time, but the diagnosis was T2. I have tried B12 patches but would go back on the injections if I could.

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take Omeprazole which depletes my guts ability to produce B12, so I have reduce my omeprazole intake to 1 pill every 4 days which is easy for me to do on a HFLC diet and on my 3rd or 4th day I eat liver or liver pate. You cannot get B12 supplements as it is produced in the gut.

I didn't know this, Joe, and I have been on Omeprazole for a while due to going onto Meloxicam (anti inflammatory). The Meloxicam was stopped but the Omeprazole is still on my script. Are there side effects if you stop taking it?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My experience was rebound reflux until I quit grains - once I went LCHF I managed to stop Nexium without any problem, whereas attempting to stop before always resulted in even worse heartburn.

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
I didn't know this, Joe, and I have been on Omeprazole for a while due to going onto Meloxicam (anti inflammatory). The Meloxicam was stopped but the Omeprazole is still on my script. Are there side effects if you stop taking it?
Hi Beshile, Omeprazole will cause vitamin B12 and calcium deficiencies. Long term use will result in osteoporosis. How are your finger nails ? do they break easy ? Proton pump inhibitors are difficult to come off. I have to take the drug till my end of days due to a Barretts oesophagus. I started using them about 10 years ago, until then my food was limited due to the incredible heartburns I used to get. But once on omeprazole, I could eat and drink anything I wanted....hey presto...type 2. As Indy51 stated..once you're on them, it very difficult to come off them as the acid comes back with a vengeance. To overcome the nutritional depletion caused by the drug, I have reduced my medication to 1 x 20mg pill every 3-4 days. Always load the calcium and B12 producing foods between days 3 & 4. My stomach acids are better controlled when I'm on a high fat low carb diet. In a way, type 2 diagnosis has been a blessing in disguise.

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Beshile, Omeprazole will cause vitamin B12 and calcium deficiencies. Long term use will result in osteoporosis. How are your finger nails ? do they break easy ? Proton pump inhibitors are difficult to come off. I have to take the drug till my end of days due to a Barretts oesophagus. I started using them about 10 years ago, until then my food was limited due to the incredible heartburns I used to get. But once on omeprazole, I could eat and drink anything I wanted....hey presto...type 2. As Indy51 stated..once you're on them, it very difficult to come off them as the acid comes back with a vengeance. To overcome the nutritional depletion caused by the drug, I have reduced my medication to 1 x 20mg pill every 3-4 days. Always load the calcium and B12 producing foods between days 3 & 4. My stomach acids are better controlled when I'm on a high fat low carb diet. In a way, type 2 diagnosis has been a blessing in disguise.

Hi Joe, It was being on Meloxicam, for inflammation in my muscles and joints, which gave me acid and nausea, but I haven't been on them since November, so I guess there is no need for the Omeprazole. Funny you should mention finger nails as mine do break easily so I keep them very short, and my toe nail tend to be 'crumbly' for want of a better description! I'm sorry you have Barretts oesophagus, must be very distressing for you as acid is no fun.
It's strange how many of us have felt more healthy since being diagnosed with diabetes and changing our diets and you are right when you say 'it's a blessing is disguise'. especially when our previous diets were causing us problems we didn't realise.

Reactions: 3 people
K

Kat100

Hi have been having b12 injections for a good 6 years now, every 8 weeks.... Have been t2 for 14 months but I know it was there longer....I guess.
Tiredness is awful, it has never really improved, I am always tired....but my body does not absorb b12 from food, an injection is for life ......in most case.....wish I was not so tired....and I really have to force myself to walk then I sleep afterwards, no energy at all......I hate it ....
I am just sharing x
I do get good gp support and gp gives me my injection the nurses in the practice don't have good injection skills IMHO .....

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi have been having b12 injections for a good 6 years now, every 8 weeks.... Have been t2 for 14 months but I know it was there longer....I guess.
Tiredness is awful, it has never really improved, I am always tired....but my body does not absorb b12 from food, an injection is for life ......in most case.....wish I was not so tired....and I really have to force myself to walk then I sleep afterwards, no energy at all......I hate it ....
I am just sharing x
I do get good gp support and gp gives me my injection the nurses in the practice don't have good injection skills IMHO .....

Kat, does your tiredness get worse when you are coming up for your next B12 injection? Mine did when I was having them. Also, have you been tested for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? Just a thought.
Take care, B

Reactions: 2 people

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately there is not a test for chronic fatigue, it is a label they give you when they decide there is nothing else wrong with you. I was convinced I had a physical problem with some sort of imbalance. I was right and had Vitamin D deficiency. That's why I always post my little list for people saying they have fatigue/tiredness. So I'll add it again here
  1. High blood sugar
  2. Vitamin D deficiency
  3. Vitamin B12 deficiency
  4. Iron deficiency anaemia
  5. Underactive Thyroid
  6. Depression.

K

Kat100

Kat, does your tiredness get worse when you are coming up for your next B12 injection? Mine did when I was having them. Also, have you been tested for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? Just a thought.
Take care, B
Hi Beshlie, sorry for my delay in replying, yes thanks for asking I do get really tired a few weeks before the next one is due ......out of 10 weeks I used to get 6 better weeks, but now with low iron I am tired all the time , yes CFS has been thought about before .....thanks again for asking x

Reactions: 3 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Beshlie, sorry for my delay in replying, yes thanks for asking I do get really tired a few weeks before the next one is due ......out of 10 weeks I used to get 6 better weeks, but now with low iron I am tired all the time , yes CFS has been thought about before .....thanks again for asking x
Have you been tested for Vitamin D, Kat? Even when I have really low ferritin levels, I don't suffer too badly with fatigue and I'm sure it's keeping Vitamin D right that does it.