Type 1 diabetic - but want to lose weight !

Eidoj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi , I am a new(ish) type 1 diabetic, I use insulin twice aday
Once in morn and once at tea time.
I am trying to lose weight , I am struggling what to eat at breakfast, dinner and tea ??? Any ideas ???

I want to lose about a stone as weights rocketed alot - but I dont want to hyper also ??? Any help appreciated ??

Thanks Jodie -

Eidoj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm finding it really hard ! But I'm bit sure what I can and can't eat !! - been to a nutritionist but to be fare it went straight over my head ! - as being a new diabetic is enough to take in full stop , please help !!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've got the opposite problem to this lol. Also type 1, but, trying to gain weight. To do this I'm eating alot of calories containing carbs,fat,protein etc. I researched my weight,height,age, activity levels etc and was amazed how many calories I should be eating. there are recommended calorie intake levels for men,woman, but.not everyone is the same. Google and find your recommended calorie intake for sex,age,height,current weight and activity levels. Usually, for diet purposes deduct 500 csls off. It will then suggest a breakdown of carbs,fat, protein to eat. the more active you see the more cals it will suggest. As activity improves injected insulins performance you would naturally need less if active.
Often, you would be surprised to find the calorific content of your current diet. I thought mine was alot but was well under, hence a bit underweight.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's the same if you have diabetes or not Jodie, if you burn more calories than you consume then the weight will fall-off. If I were you I'd switch over to basal/bolus instead of twice daily, you can be more flexible with food on this regime and even skip meals should you choose.

Good luck!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I agree with noble head, twice daily injections are difficult to manage as you need to stick to a routine really. Basla/bolus is easier but it does mean carb counting. If the advice from your nutritionist went right over your head this may be confusing to begin with. Try to up your exercise and reduce calories is the only way to lose weight though. Good luck !
Mo

fatbird

What about weight loss?

Insulin is often referred to by biochemists as the fat building hormone. In fact, the body cannot make body fat without insulin. It is very unusual to find an overweight individual who doesn't also have elevated insulin levels. Type 2 diabetics, at diagnosis, will often be overproducing insulin.

Insulin also inhibits the body’s use of stored fat as a source of fuel. Lowering insulin levels is extremely important, perhaps essential, for weight loss to succeed. This is one reason why low carb diets are particularly successful in weight loss since the fewer the carbs, the less insulin is required. Some may also find that they consume fewer calories without feeling hungry because their fat metabolism begins to work properly once more, allowing the body access to energy reserves in fat stores which were previously inaccessible.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-diet-a-newbies-guide.9427/

FB

Jesmin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was diagnosed wz Type 1 since '06. My health is improving after a fren introduced juicing habit 3-5x a wk. Thks God.. no more blood clot, leg clamp, heartburn & finger numb problems. Weight maintaining & feel energized. Simply mix fav fresh fruits + bit ginger + lemon juice. Add sm water. Blend. For my coffee/tea addiction: I've Orzo barley coffee (non caffeine) in d mornin. Smtimes I'll hv spiced Matcha latte one hr after dnr. Jst heat up fresh milk wz 3 bay leaves, 3 cloves, 3 green cardamoms, cinnamon, bit ginger + black pepper + nutmeg, Matcha green tea powder or plain teabag. *Sweetener/honey. Reduce sugary food. No sugary drink. Hv med portion meal. I am still in size 12 (UK), I meant my trouser hehe ",

squeezelouise400

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always struggled with my weight, I needed to lose a stone and a half until I studied the glycaemic index and put myself on an eating plan (I don't do dieting) first of all I started cutting down on the amount of carbs I was eating then I changed to mostly eating low GI foods. Now I eat 140g of carbs in a day eating mostly low GI and I've lost a stone. It can be done but you need to reduce carbs very gradually over about 3 days to allow your blood sugars to catch up with you.

I don't eat takeaway, crisps, pizza, cake or biscuits but I do have a small amount of bread and potatoes. If anyone is interested just check out the glycaemic Index, it may work for you too.

Reactions: 2 people