What do you eat in between

Lilliepop

You know what I don't like. It's the two hours you have to wait until you take your BG. I always seem to be hungry but never have much foods with nil carbs in. What do you eat in between?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

What are you eating that you are still hungry after your meals? Are you eating enough fat? Enough food?

Cheese, nuts, jelly, water could be low carb snacks.

Lilliepop

What are you eating that you are still hungry after your meals? Are you eating enough fat? Enough food?

Cheese, nuts, jelly, water could be low carb snacks.
Ii really miss potatos, meat and veg don't feel me up at all. Potatos really spike my BS so leave them out. So get hungry soon after diner. I eat lots of chicken, salad and veg, not filling enough:(

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Won't eating during that 2 hours have an effect on the reading? Logically it should do.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
When I went low carb I was living on pepperami and cheese between meals. After a few weeks of being very low carb (less than 30g carbs a day) I found my appetite had significantly decreased and I could go all day without snacking.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that something with a crunch and a sharp taste satisfied my hunger pangs so I resorted to some very thin rye crispbreads with very thinly sliced cheddar cheese and slices of pickled onion. Alternatively, I'd have the thin crispbreads with sardine paste.

But, sit at a table and make a meal out of it. If you are watching TV and eating off a plate, it's gone without you even noticing it go down. I even used to do that eating an apple. I had a favourite pen knife and cut it into segments and took the time to savour each one.

Mushroom

Coffee with cream or a slice of Cambazola cheese. Both filling. As previous poster says, now I am low carb/high fat I don't snack as don't get cravings, just hungry which is different.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Ii really miss potatos, meat and veg don't feel me up at all. Potatos really spike my BS so leave them out. So get hungry soon after diner. I eat lots of chicken, salad and veg, not filling enough:(

Have you tried celeriac as a replacement for potatoes? It's very low carb, can be eaten as mash, makes a great topping for shepherds pie etc., can be chipped or roasted and it will certainly fill you up! I eat LCHF and don't get hungry at all, often only eating two meals a day with maybe a small handful of almonds or walnuts with my mid afternoon coffee and cream.
In the early stages drinking more water helped too and learning that what I thought was hunger was really just an emotional response, not an actual physical thing. To prove it I tested my BG and if that was ok, then I decided I didn't actually need the food. It worked ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee with cream.
Teeccino with cream
Tea
4 squares 70% cocoa solid chocolate
Slice or two cheese
Baby bel
Slice or two ham
Glass of water
Pepperami

But really, I would prefer to eat enough at a meal that. Leave the table satisfied, and that means decent portions and enough fat to give a full feeling. Sometimes that is as little as a teasp mayo on a salad, but it will stop me pigging out on carbs an hour later...

C

catherinecherub

What do you have in your salad?
Do you include avocado and dressings with olive oil?
As for the veg, try adding suitable herbs and spices and combinations.
I fry some spring onions cut lengthways and add to cooked runner beans and then sprinkle some sesame seeds over the dish and add a sprinkling of chilli.
Sprouts can be stir fried as can cabbage and you then add a flavour and top off with a knob of butter when you plate up.
You have to get creative or they will be bland and uninteresting.

Last edited:

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have hazelnuts with every meal - full of HDL.

maplelime

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Winter in Alberta
Try 1/2 cup of baked sweet potato with your meal, or 1/2 cup cottage cheese, I too loved my spuds but I'm so over them now. I find bread to be my biggest spiker..so I'm down to 1 slice of rye bread per day with either Breakfast or lunch.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Nuts and cheese make up my snacks.
I don't think you're eating enough fat. You could make a creamy sauce for your chicken an eat loads of green veggies!