What reason are you on a pump?

RoDnEyBoY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Towie type people
Hi I'm a bit new to this, I have been on a pump for 3 weeks and so far all is well.

After reading through many threads on here the general consensus seems to be that people are on pumps because of bad HBa1C or (not my words) poor control. I was offered a pump with out bad HBa1C and good/fair control just for more level approach to diabetes, should I now be thinking I was put on a pump as I was not cutting the mustard ?

RoDnEyBoY.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Same boat, relatively ok hba1c, but, suffered from high morning readings due to dp, and, alot of hypos when active. Quality of life affected

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Same reasons as Brett and unbeknown to me my hypo awareness wasn't what it should be. My quality of life had been severely affected as I crashed out in work after a disabling hypo - scary. They took all these things into consideration when they recommend a pump for me. HBA1c had always been below 8.5 but I was well aware that my 'control' was out of control as this figure was just an average of the highs and lows.

iHs

My reasons were due to trying to achieve tighter bg control and worry about avoiding hypos which also ended up affecting my partner so enough was enough.

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Poor hypo awareness, shift work and trying to maintain a reasonable Hba1c. All got a bit out of hand , much better since the pump

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not in the UK.
Very good HbA1c but lots of hypos associated with lots of exercise (marathon training) The doctor suggested a pump to enable reducing insulin for exercise.

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My HbA1c was fair but creeping upwards but my main reason was that I have a chronic fear of night hypos (as I'm home alone at night with 2 young children).

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Failure to reach a good hba1c without lots and lots of hypos was my main reason, being pregnant and trying to reach optimal bloods was my biggest motivation but I've previously turned down a pump in the past but regretting making the change earlier. Like you I'm new to pumping, I've now been on the accuchek combo for a month now and it's the best control I've ever had, I'm looking forward to my next hba1c in another month or so to see how much it's improved. Never in my life have I ever said I'm looking forward to having a hba1c, rather the opposite if dreading the follow up appointment! I was feeling abit mixed like I was draining the NHS by getting a pump when I first got one and spoke to family and friends about it who reassured me in the long run I will probably be saving money (hopefully!) by reducing the costs of further complications due to poor control.

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I got the pump with having relatively good control. The hospital I go to we're testing out a few to see the benefits and I was lucky enough to get one. 8 years later there is a lot of new people on the pump. It all depends on the area you live in I guess.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I got given a pump because of poor hypo awareness (hubby works shifts either earlies or lates, and was always worried, when he went to work). High hb1ac and blood sugars in the teens, no matter how much I controlled it. It does depend on your area and red tape(funding), but I got sent out of my area to Kings College hosp, my first app with the Professor I was told I needed a pump, but would have to wait a bit, ok no problem I'd waited years, so another year or so wouldn't be a problem. The very next month I trail one for a week, the following week I'm using insulin. It's great I only wish I had transferred earlier.

MegaMan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not much I'm easy going :D
I was given a pump due to the amount of times I need to inject.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am not exactly clear why they gave me a pump to be honest. I got the impression that Guy's and St Thomas are putting anyone with T1 on a pump if they have any kind of difficulty (ok slight exaggeration). In fact I suspect they would like all T1s on a pump. A question I asked in our training day was "does the fact we are going on pumps mean we have 'failed'?". Quite a few felt this way, including me I suppose.

As far as we were told, pumps don't give better HBa1c than injections, but they do give you the same HBa1c with fewer hypos, and a better quality of life. I was struggling with not being able to bring down my steadily increasing HBa1c without having more hypos.

I feel good about the pump and I believe (contrary to the stats) that it will improve my HBa1c. I am paying much more attention to what I'm doing, I think is the reason why. It does feel like a fresh start.

If the pump does not improve HBa1c or at least reduce hypos, I may go back to injections, because frankly a pump is too much faff and inconvenience unless there is some kind of benefit shown.

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I felt the same as you Spiker when I first was going through the training and it was all very new to me, but now wouldn't go back to injections unless I desperately had to. I sometimes forget about my diabetes without the rsstrictions on injecting at certain times, and love the freedom of nibbling foods rather than having to definitely decide what im going to eat before I inject then having to force myself to eat it all even though i may be full. Hope you feel the same with yours when you get into the hang of it

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same as Phoenix for me, plus a bit of Brett's difficulties.

I'm not on a pump yet, but have been approved on the basis of number of exercise induced hypos and the effect that has on my life in general with a need to eat to feed even short exercise which I never used to do. I've spent the last two days struggling to get my level above 5 despite cutting back my normal bolus doses.

I really want the ability to be able to keep minimal insulin on board and cut the input as I need to.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Moderate hypoglycemia due to insulin sensitivity and then also in preparation for pregnancy.

I'm not on it yet, but I've had the approval from my endo and it's currently going to the funding board. Endo is confident I'll be pumping by the end of the year

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

craig81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dawn phenomenon principally for me also. Plus I recorded a few scary lows - 1.7 range - when I was under the weather and all predictability went out the window. That put the fear of death into me but I was able to use it as evidence towards meeting the criteria for a pump. Record, record, record!!! I was told it was unlikely that I would get a pump because of my hba1c and there was a waiting list of a year. 5 months down the line I've been offered the Medtronic pump and start next month. Genuinely uber excited by it! I think that mentally I'm in the right place to maximise the use of the pump now. Maybe a few years ago I wouldn't have been. Dawn phenomenon, different exercise patterns, sickness days, alcohol pattern on a Friday. Who couldn't get excited by that? :)

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Started on the pump for DP. Best thing ever. Can also change basal rates at different times of day so can increase for resistance training and decrease for cardio.
Also on a third less insulin than using mdi.
They will have to kill me to get this pump back off me.

Reactions: 7 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi every one I got my pump nearly 4 years ago I got mine due to hypo unawareness which I have had for a long time my over all control is good with my diabetes but due to some very severe hypo which lead to me being unconscious on two many occasions my pump has help a lot :) less hypo, control is good life loads better :)