Lancet Confession

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
From what I've read about lancet reuse, is that a sharp needle will make a clean incision into a capillary, whereas a blunt one will make many fractures along the way; dragging loads of intracellular material into the test strip. Thus making the reading less accurate.

If you are after an approximate reading, then reuse your needle, but if your intention is to get an accurate reading, then follow the user guide (that I probably first read after about a million tests) and wash your hands and change your lancet! :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK. Just come back from a great night out with some ex colleagues, one of which has a boyfriend that works in "toxicology" mainly for criminal cases..
I had to own up to being a diabetic to obtain this information which my ex workmates knew nothing about..
(Well i didn't want this guy to think i was up to something.).lol

MALARIA; is treatable.

REUSING A LANCET; Its negligible (if at all) to the consecutive blood test results.. If anything it would just leave DNA traces on the lancet..

I hope this clears up any confusion regarding what is otherwise a pleasant & fun topic...

... Right. I'm off out to hide the bodies...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Jaylee l know it is treatable but l don't actually want it in the first place...more to the point l don't want the ****** biting blood sucking insects using me for their banquet l get huge itching bulging lumps that last for weeks :(

Oh dear does that mean l get cloned if someone steals my lancet o_O

I would suggest incineration for the bodies at least the local dogs won't dig them up :happy:

Reactions: 4 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Check the instructions that came with your meter but most lancing devices are designed to be used by a single person only.

The third post in this thread is by a mod so it's clear that the site encourages the reuse of lancets.
Only a Junior Mod actually lol and no, I don't encourage anyone or advise anyone to re-use a lancet. I think we're all fully aware the NHS guide is to change every time. Just because I don't doesn't mean I encourage others. I also drink beer but I don't tell others to do that either :)

Reactions: 9 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jaylee l know it is treatable but l don't actually want it in the first place...more to the point l don't want the ****** biting blood sucking insects using me for their banquet l get huge itching bulging lumps that last for weeks :(

Oh dear does that mean l get cloned if someone steals my lancet o_O

I would suggest incineration for the bodies at least the local dogs won't dig them up :happy:

Yep, I would agree with you any prevention is better than suffering symptoms & the worry of cure...
I followed the advice by my doctor at the time had the injections & took the course of tabs for preventing malaria, but as I said earlier even persevering through the constant mouth users (which were a side effect stated on the packaging) I'd had enough....

Cloning? I would doubt it with such small traces of degrading DNA...

I was opting for a bath of sulphuric acid....!

Reactions: 2 people

fkarno

The third post in this thread is by a mod so it's clear that the site encourages the reuse of lancets.
I usually only change every couple of weeks !!!!!

That kind of idiotic post is unacceptable, particularly coming from a moderator. It flies in the face of all medical advice and informed opinion. I do hope that it does not represent the view of "the site", whoever that may be, and I also hope that "the site" will make that clear.

fkarno

I'll take that comment as well meaning banter....

I was actually told by an Indian doctor while i was catching my girlfriends projectile vomit in a bin. That malaria can be treated..

No, it was not well-meaning banter. And yes, some malaria can be treated - so please explain (a) why between 473000 and 789000 people die each year from malaria and (b) why we (through the NHS) should pay for the treatment of UK patients who stupidly and deliberately refuse to take their malaria tablets.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Yes actually the malaria comment was well meaning and part of a semi serious joke and l am about to start if all goes well early next year and l know to look out for mouth ulcers and l will if l get bad effects come off the meds and take my chance if l have to.
Jaylee and l will have had a reason behind it, but you and other person wouldn't see that. And funnily enough you wouldn't be leading our lives to make those choices.

The fact that we choose to reuse our lancets is no crime it is not a start to some horrific disease if it was we would all have lost limbs and people would be sensible enough not to reuse. It is our choice and l am not prepared to lie to keep you other person or anyone else happy. l use mine till l ouch loud enough.
The same way l have not caught any nasty diseases walking barefoot for the last 51 years.In 3 different country and all sorts of terrain from desert to jungle, farms to kennels backyards to huge shopping centres. The fact l walk barefoot in this country is a really sore point for many brits and l now rip them a new hole at the stupid comments they make towards me and you fall into that category.

And no doubt that you will tell me you are glad my husband died in a sport he loved in as the inquest judge said a a total accident after all it was a dangerous sport. And the people that get injured well we are wasting YOUR money on them let them suffer they deserve it.

And anyone who gets fat deserves to die with none of YOUR money spent on them because they did it to themselves like Kev after all why spend your money on them., they had a problem they couldn't get round but hey at the end of the day it was their choice.

And my mum who had such sever depression she died gave up on life but the NHS who screwed up what care she got should never have given her any, after all it was her choice to die wasn't it look at all YOUR money that we waste on these scavengers of YOUR money.

Anyone in a car crash don't treat them after all look how many people a year die or are injured in any kind of car accident, we know they kill that they are in effect a lethal weapon and yet we use this that is a total waste of money... not including the roads and the police to keep an eye on things EISH so much of YOUR wasted money.

In fact lets stop paying for anyone's medical bills until you have personally approved them that way we know it is being spent correctly.

We are all adult enough to make our way in life, ask advice, and make our choices based on that we assess the risk to be and we take our chance without nannies like you ordering us about. All life ends in death it just depends how you get there.

l will be ignoring you once l have written this out...your reply will be unseen and you will cease to exist to me.

Reactions: 8 people

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The fact that we choose to reuse our lancets is no crime it is not a start to some horrific disease if it was we would all have lost limbs
So by your logic, literally playing Russian roulette is a perfectly safe pastime and we'd be way over the line to tell children not to do it because it doesn't kill every time?
Yes, you are free to kill yourself if you wish but putting others at risk through ignorance (the equivalent of telling kids that it's ok to put a gun to their heads and pull the trigger as long as one chamber is empty) is not OK.

Also, could you explain why the NHS recommends that lancets not be reused then? Manufacturers will obviously tell any lie to sell more products, but if changing lancets has no benefit then the NHS is wasting money.... Unless you are saying that you are smarter than all the people making these recommendations?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
That kind of idiotic post is unacceptable, particularly coming from a moderator. It flies in the face of all medical advice and informed opinion. I do hope that it does not represent the view of "the site", whoever that may be, and I also hope that "the site" will make that clear.

Mo may be a 'Mod' as you say but he's also a regular guy away from the forum and is entitled to treat his diabetes his way,including how often he changes his lancet like the rest of us so I think your post was most unfair.

Reactions: 5 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
So by your logic, literally playing Russian roulette is a perfectly safe pastime and we'd be way over the line to tell children not to do it because it doesn't kill every time?
Yes, you are free to kill yourself if you wish but putting others at risk through ignorance (the equivalent of telling kids that it's ok to put a gun to their heads and pull the trigger as long as one chamber is empty) is not OK.

Also, could you explain why the NHS recommends that lancets not be reused then? Manufacturers will obviously tell any lie to sell more products, but if changing lancets has no benefit then the NHS is wasting money.... Unless you are saying that you are smarter than all the people making these recommendations?
Putting a gun to a childs head lol ! "Literally playing Russian Roulette" ? Wow !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I do my bit saving money on lancet scripts. I have never actually heard of anybody getting an infection or injury from reusing lancets...

I see nothing wrong with mo's comments. A moderator is not basned from enstering into a discussion. All opinions and experiences SHOULD be valued...to me a moderaor is to watch that everybody treats all others with dignity and respect. Any newbie on this site can read ither peoples learnings and experiences. But goes with their own summary and judgement....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 5 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, it was not well-meaning banter. And yes, some malaria can be treated - so please explain (a) why between 473000 and 789000 people die each year from malaria and (b) why we (through the NHS) should pay for the treatment of UK patients who stupidly and deliberately refuse to take their malaria tablets.

Touché.... Arghhhh you have me at a disadvantage sir... I yield to you mercy.... Oh hang on..!!? I seem to remember PAYING for my malaria tablets....
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1071.aspx?CategoryID=67

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: 6 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I believe that moderators should be "allowed" to have personal opinions just like the rest of us - and it's not always easy when you have to wear two hats, as sometimes they can definitely differ. When I've been moderating elsewhere, I've tried to remember to say if I'm in moderator mode as opposed to my normal person mode.

Robbity

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...

Well fkarno, this is not a comment re malaria medication (even though my son had severe side effects from taking the supposedly best (and most expensive med) when in Africa) - but rather to set your mind at ease. As I am in Denmark, my 'potential' problems about re-using lancets will never be reflected in your personal tax payments in the UK.

annelise

- but I guess that since we have now changed to daylight saving time, I will change it now ;) i.e. the lancet ...