Any T1's live alone?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exercise induced lows usually affect me about 6 hours after exerciseing, I found it a much harder learning curve accounting for exerercise than working out food stuff.

Very much so. I don't get the delayed hypos generally, apart from when I've done a longer run/ride, say 2hr+ and I don't recarb properly.

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I try to eat a pasta based meal or something after an intense workout, better than hypoong n havin to eat choc or that! Speakin of which im up for body pump n circuits at 8! Nite nite

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This may seem really stupid but I am starting to think I am very different from a lot of Type 1's as far as hypos are concerned. Your stories of being able to call an ambulance and unlock front doors etc before passing out or being able to rationalise that you are having a hypo but not strong enough to open a bottle of lucozade are wildly different from my experience.
I think it's because my hypo unawareness is very erratic but if I could rationalise enough to make a phone call or unlock a door I would be able to go and get some glucose in myself. If I am that bad I am incapable of anything and will be unconscious within minutes. I personally think my awareness has gone for good though as it has been very poor for years now despite the constant protestations of my DSN's to "run it high for a few weeks and they'll come back" No they don't!
I understand exactly what you mean. My warning signals disappeared about 20 years ago. At the time they told me it was because I was so well controlled. That one time I mentioned I crawled to the door has been far surpassed by the amount of times I haven't managed that. I've lost whole days at times, luckily so far I've always come out of it sooner or later. I think it's important to be able to laugh about things, even the scary things. I was once told by a diabetic doctor there was something wrong with me because I was frightened of hypos, I told him it's not fright just a healthy respect.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, I've lived alone for about 8 years now. It can be scary but there's no other option really. Like others have said, I keep sweet stuff to hand and always make sure there is juice in the fridge (can't stand lucozade or glucotabs!)

I remember my first night at uni I had a really bad hypo in my sleep as I had been so tired I hadn't checked my bloods before bed or unpacked any of my food etc - it was a rude awakening to living independently but it taught me a good lesson and I've (mostly) been prepared for hypos ever since.

Lenya21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, I'll learn to live with it. I'll never love it.
Sandy dee some hypos I've ha have been very scary, they are frightening at times and obviously that dr hasn't got a clue! I've lived on my own for 6years but only been type1 eleven months.

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I jus find when i talk about my diabetes n maybe i mention it often that folk think right ok we know ye have it just get on with it! But u dont think people realise how frightening it is to have hypos, live alone n what the consequences are if not bein careful 24/7, mAybe they dobt think that n its jus me! Plus all the changes in yer body, i was never sick got cold once/twice a year that was it! Now u can only describe it as that my body doesnt feel like my own with all these strange new sensations/hypos etc.

jules65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you were unable to treat your own hypo and went unconscious, how long could you go without being found before irreparable damage was done?
And same question with regards to a hyper?
Sorry for the depressing questions on Monday morning, but I've always wondered about this.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I live alone and after one too many worrying night time hypos I decided to self fund a CGM. (See thread "Thinking of CGM")
It's not perfect but It has given me such peace of mind especially overnight.

I bought a Dexcom G4 and yes it is very expensive, though I do get much longer from a sensor then the stated 7 days which helps.

If you have no hypo awareness or are affected like Auckland Canary then I would have thought you'd have a very good case for funding.

nick113

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I live on my own n yes it can be scary if you have a bad hypo,i just reach out for jelly babies and testing machine if you know or regconise what to do and it can be horrible for me tho.put jellybabies on bedside if u ever have an hypo that what i do as well in cupboard n bag but i must make sure know where they are otherwise i get something else!lol!

Ausra

I lived alone for a year and was newly diagnosed. Nothing much changed since I moved in with my boyfriend: once tried waking him up to help me, but at the end went to kitchen get sugar myself. Whenever I have low sugar he offers me chocolate or cake...and can never understand i need at least 10 minutes to get back to myself..and if sometimes i give up and cry he thinks that sex might uplift my mood!

Reactions: 2 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I lived alone for a year and was newly diagnosed. Nothing much changed since I moved in with my boyfriend: once tried waking him up to help me, but at the end went to kitchen get sugar myself. Whenever I have low sugar he offers me chocolate or cake...and can never understand i need at least 10 minutes to get back to myself..and if sometimes i give up and cry he thinks that sex might uplift my mood!
Typical bloke!

Reactions: 2 people

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thats men for ye! Know nowt about what women want! Single is the new married! Tell him too much sexercise causes hypos! Lol