New to pumps

chloe1

Hi everyone,

I am just looking for a bit of advice really. I've been diabetic (type 1) for about 8 years, and after 2 pregnancies my control is getting unmanageable.
My dietician is lovely and I have been talking to her about the possibility of going on a pump instead of injections. She has put me on a CGM for a week to try and give them some idea of why my control is poor. I am either in the high teens, or if I increase my levemir I am hypo 4 times a day. Anyway she thinks a pump could benefit me, and I have a pump assessment in a couple of weeks.
She says I could either try for the medtronic minimed, or the animals vibe. She recommended the medtronic as the easiest to use.
Any advice on which one to go for would be appreciated, as I don't have a clue. Also any tips on getting through the assessment process would be good. I have already been carb counting, is there anything else I will have to do before they agree to let me have a pump?

Thanks
Chloe

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
I am looking at the medtronic it looks easier to use and when i had a play at clinic it felt nicer

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Chole1, you've had the same problems, that I had. I've been on a pump since November last year, and it's the best thing ever, it's stopped my constant hypos and my blood sugars are in target range and my hb1ac is now in target range as well. I looked at the Medtronic and the Vibe pump, one because the Medtronic had the feature of stopping the insulin flow if you had a hypo, but need cgm for that. And I liked that the vibe has a food bank you can set up on it and the feature of cgm and it's waterproof. So I went for the Vibe as if I want to self fund cgm I can and it works with the pump. But the Vibe is very easy to use at the moment I use ezecarb to do everything and set insertion is very easy as well, which was one of the main factors for me choosing the vibe.

chloe1

Thanks for the replies.
I can't fund the CGM, so that's not an option for me. Although I think with the medtronic you can get a glucose monitor that is wireless, and sends your readings to the pump. Do I have this right? Just wondering if I would get the test strips on prescription.
I suppose the best way would be to play with them at the clinic and try to decide. It's hard to figure it out just from the leaflets, as you can't see which functions would be funded, and which only self funded.
Anyway I need to get through the assessment first. Although I am starting to really want a pump now! Fingers crossed it won't take too long.