Unneeded diet

Dzialo

I'm new to this so obviously I've been doing this strict diet and after a week my sugar is quite stable so do I still need to proceed or can I stop and just start increasing the amount of insulin??

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've no idea what diet you are doing, but, if it's working , why would you want to change it?

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm new to this so obviously I've been doing this strict diet and after a week my sugar is quite stable so do I still need to proceed or can I stop and just start increasing the amount of insulin??

You don't say what 'strict diet' you are referring to, is it a short-term diet or long term? Either way it's entirely up to yourself, if your happy with the way things are then leave things be, if you want to adjust your diet (and eat more carbs if this is what your asking) then increase your insulin, it's difficult for anyone except yourself to make that call.

Dzialo

That's exactly what I mean but don't know how much insulin to increase per amount of carbs

GlazedDoughnuts

That's exactly what I mean but don't know how much insulin to increase per amount of carbs

General starting guide is about 12g carbs to 1unit. 12g:1u. Try that, and then change the dosing according to sensitivity.
Sometimes you'll find yourself more sensitive towards insulin and vice versa. But you'll eventually learn your traits.

I hadn't done a finger prick for around 7 months...Then yesterday my concerned brother wanted to know if I'm in control or not, 4.4mmol :) My point is it takes time, but if you learn your ratios, your trends, you can get to the point where you don't test (not recommended or suggested by me, what I do is off my own volition and I understand the risks associated with).