Beta cell transplant

karla0304

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there folks. It's been ages since I've posted and lots has happened.

I was referred for beta cell transplant last year and had my first in June and my second a few weeks later in August. The first one was amazing. My insulin requirements dropped from over 38u per day to around 5.

The second one wasn't as good. I picked up an infection when I was home after and it really floored me. The medications I take make me more susceptible to infections. The chest infection hit me hard and I had to gradually had to increase my insulin back to its original pre transplant level.

I had a c-peptide test in January (this measures the level of a hormone in the blood which only appears if functioning islet cells are present). Unfortunately the result of this test revealed that the level was too low to register.

The transplant team were hopeful that the cell production would pick up a bit after my health improved. Well they were right. About 6 weeks ago I started to find that my sugar results were running really low. I started to drop my insulin levels as my sugar results dropped too.

It's amazing, although the cells have had to deal with lots of infections they are still present and functioning.

I've got another c-peptide test on Monday and fingers crossed it will show that there is activity.

The transplant is done under local anaesthetic and I was awake for the whole thing. The medication regime is difficult and they have their own dude effects.

Would I do it again? Yes definitely. I now have some warnings if impending hypos, which is new. I lost warnings about 18 months ago. I don't pick up all if them but I get some. Which is a start right?

Any questions. Ask.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No questions but I'm pleased all has worked out well, fingers crossed that your good progress continues :)

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hope you will keep us up to date :) I have a personal interest in this, as your aware (you commented on 1 of my posts) this is something I may need to consider. I may have questions soon :)

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
Hi there folks. It's been ages since I've posted and lots has happened.

I was referred for beta cell transplant last year and had my first in June and my second a few weeks later in August. The first one was amazing. My insulin requirements dropped from over 38u per day to around 5.

The second one wasn't as good. I picked up an infection when I was home after and it really floored me. The medications I take make me more susceptible to infections. The chest infection hit me hard and I had to gradually had to increase my insulin back to its original pre transplant level.

I had a c-peptide test in January (this measures the level of a hormone in the blood which only appears if functioning islet cells are present). Unfortunately the result of this test revealed that the level was too low to register.

The transplant team were hopeful that the cell production would pick up a bit after my health improved. Well they were right. About 6 weeks ago I started to find that my sugar results were running really low. I started to drop my insulin levels as my sugar results dropped too.

It's amazing, although the cells have had to deal with lots of infections they are still present and functioning.

I've got another c-peptide test on Monday and fingers crossed it will show that there is activity.

The transplant is done under local anaesthetic and I was awake for the whole thing. The medication regime is difficult and they have their own dude effects.

Would I do it again? Yes definitely. I now have some warnings if impending hypos, which is new. I lost warnings about 18 months ago. I don't pick up all if them but I get some. Which is a start right?

Any questions. Ask.

Was wondering if you could please expand a little on the medication regime they put you on and the effects of it.

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Where do the replacement beta cells come from?

Do you now need to take drugs to prevent rejection?

karla0304

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi folks. Me again.

The cells that are transplanted are taken from a dead donor. Then they are grafted into the liver via the portal vein. There are normally 2 operations as there aren't enough cells harvested from a single donor.

The medication regime I follow is worked on a 24 hour cycle. Anti rejection, drugs to protect my stomach and high strength antibiotics, I also take bp meds too. High bp and increased risk of skin cancer for these ones.

Mid morning it's the immunosuppressants and then mid evening more anti rejection tabs.

Just before bed it's quinine and statins.

It sounds a lot and as I've said there are side effects but it can also prevent or lower risks associated with the progression of diabetes.

Had my eyes checked at the weekend, 1st since transplants and my eyesight has improved. Wow.

Shout again if needs be.