Beer !

wilts yeoman

Hi
Been type 2 since Oct last year,although drink all Booze types,drink nowhere near what I did! More the red wine,however take Metformin,drink real ale and know my limits, say 6,7 pints one night in the pub midweek,then steer clear,until the weekend,out for a meal,2 to 3 pints, Doctor is happy with me, diet is ongoing,3 metformin and 1 statin a day.......so know your limits.......as Homer simpson says mmmmmm Beer!

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
izzzi, My sincere apologies for the ' arrogance ' comment ! I'd probably had one too many sherbets.

Oh and I do not have a bottle every day, some days yes, but as I work from home on the LSE after the morning 'heart starter' I take a few tipples ! I also get through an astonishing amount of Soda !

Thank you for the sage advice, and for calling me a 'young man' ! I'm sure that you only best me by a few months ?

You say that you have ceased imbibing due to lack of being able to moderate, how difficult was that time ?

Cheers buddy .. Roy

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Superchip :)

Stopping was not that hard. I gave up smoking 30 years ago and allowed myself more beer to justify the loss of cigs.

Now I drink more coffee etc; instead of beer.( god help me )

Oddly enough although I have given up I still say and believe I have not given up. That's me being stubborn. If you understand what I mean.
I am one of those habit people.
Now that I think about it I did not suffer any backlash or any urge for a drink. Again it because I have brainwashed my self I do need a drink right now.

I do miss the good old days when pubs were pubs.

When I smell someone one that has been smoking, I think I used to be like that. Now I get the feeling when I know someone has been Drinking.

I it is good that you have a very good system that's controlled. I do not think there is many strong people around like you.

Best of luck to you.

What was the drink ( bottle of St Edmond's with 1/2 of bitter called )

Roy. :)

Fraddycat

Hi,

I gave up drinking at the beginning of September, today is day 101 without alcohol. I started really disliking the person I became when drunk, my tipple was red wine and I could easily drink a bottle a night. There are so many stories about me when I was really p*ssed, times that I can't actually remember. I used to hate waking up in the morning and thinking 'oh god what did I do'.

I never planned to give up forever, just give my liver/body a break but now I am scared to start drinking again. I am finding it easy not to drink in many way but I am an all or nothing kind of person, one cig and I will be back to 20 a day, and I worry that I will be drinking a bottle a day again.

I am amazed at how much society revolves around alcohol, at this time of year all the adverts on tv are about alcohol, people think you are wierd if you don't drink, but I have never felt better in my life. Strong, in control, and sober.

Not sure if I will risk it again ...

KennyS

Fraddycat said:
Hi,

I gave up drinking at the beginning of September, today is day 101 without alcohol. I started really disliking the person I became when drunk, my tipple was red wine and I could easily drink a bottle a night. There are so many stories about me when I was really p*ssed, times that I can't actually remember. I used to hate waking up in the morning and thinking 'oh god what did I do'.

My father was... shall we say.... a less than desirable person when he was drinking, which was quite a lot as I recall. He wasn't a pleasant person and when he was told the next day what he had done, he would scoff and basically call anyone and everyone a liar. That was until he drove his bike home one night and dumped it in the driveway trying to get off. Everytime he would manage to get it up, he would lose it again..... The next morning he was told about it and said we were silly until he went out and saw the broken tale lights and scratches on the paint and chrome.... Stopped drinking shortly after that and never drank again...

Good for him.... good for everyone else :thumbup:

Kenny

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well said Fraddycat , I think your description is exactly what I was thinking.

When your out and about and see other people that have been drinking, it does come home to me I used to be that person.

Roy. :)

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
bluenoselouie said:
I too drink an excessive amount of lager and red wine, I would estimate 40 pints of lager and 3 bottles of wine per week. I am type 2 and take 2 x 500mg metformin twice daily. My BS levels are always in the normal range (last hba1c 5.9) and I suffer no ill effects. Why is that ?

The probable answer to that is your body has a higher tolerance to alcohol, but that tolerance is not indefinite and whilst you may not seem to be suffering any illness at the moment that does not mean that you are undamaged. Whilst I love alcohol, I love life more stuff alcohol. Fact alcohol is a poison, and whilst it can amuse me to see some confessions 40 pints and 3 bottles of wine is alcohol suicide it will catch up on you only a matter of time. The reality is I have watched too many people who have been proud of what they drink die very slowly and painfully leaving loved ones behind. :cry:

Simon aka Cobra3164

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Room 04a
I'll back up the rest of the posters on here. I'm not going to tell you what to do, it is your life and I guess only you can make the decisions to drink or not as the case may be.
I'm a fairly recent diagnosed type 2, CAMRa member loving the festivals and a few pints of decent ale whenever I can get my hands on it. I take Metformin as well and haven't had any side effects when doing so. I guess my way of drinking is having at least 3 booze free days per week and then limiting what I drink the rest of the time, apart from a few nights out!

I have to say that apaprt from this last wekend I have changed my tipple from beer most of the time to red wine. Seems to be fine with me and and my reading the morning after was still less than 7!

Personally I try and go by a little of what you fancy isn't going to kill you! But maybe a lot might!
Here's hoping you get things resolved!
SS

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I would question what you mean by can't stop drinking and not an alcoholic as you don't attend meetings. It's not the meetings which define an alcoholic. They just show how hard a person is trying to help him/herself.
I suspect you need to see a doctor and probably an alcohol counsellor.
Hana

Reactions: 2 people

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
suffolkscouser said:
Hi Room 04a
I'll back up the rest of the posters on here. I'm not going to tell you what to do, it is your life and I guess only you can make the decisions to drink or not as the case may be.
I'm a fairly recent diagnosed type 2, CAMRa member loving the festivals and a few pints of decent ale whenever I can get my hands on it. I take Metformin as well and haven't had any side effects when doing so. I guess my way of drinking is having at least 3 booze free days per week and then limiting what I drink the rest of the time, apart from a few nights out!

I have to say that apaprt from this last wekend I have changed my tipple from beer most of the time to red wine. Seems to be fine with me and and my reading the morning after was still less than 7!

Personally I try and go by a little of what you fancy isn't going to kill you! But maybe a lot might!
Here's hoping you get things resolved!
SS

Exactly enjoy in moderation :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

mrawfell

room04A,
you say you are not an alcoholic, because you don't go to meetings. I know from personal experience about AA. Your definition is typical denial. I am not going to go on at length here because this forum is about diabetes. When you get to the stage I can't stop drinking, it should ring alarm bells, you are not in control. Talk to someone in AA, they will never tell you ,you are an alcoholic. You have nothing to lose, and maybe your life to gain.

room04a

Hello again Peep's
Well It would turn out you were all giving sound advice after all, and I apologise unreservedly for my smart Alec, 'Get on you soap box' pre empted defensive.
I'm also sorry for just dumping my issues and problems on here and walking away because I didn't see the replies I wanted to see'
I know we all have our own stuff to deal with and you don't need my burden.
Just an update for all of you kind enough to comment,
It did all go terribly wrong and when I woke p in A&E I kinda realised things had gotten out of hand.
I decided to get some help from the local Community Alcohol action team who have bee a massive help.
Cut down dramatically on the booze after my little incident when my BG was measured at 17mmol and now a 'social' drinker rather than an habitual participant.
BG is now averaging approx 7.2 but still falling in the correct direction, and that is just cutting down he Beer, no meds.
I also lost 10kg in 6 months which is cool !
Thanks again chap's

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people