Insulin Pump!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sooooo excited!! I'm getting an insulin pump near the end of may!!! I'm quite scared though.....I have lots of questions that i need to ask someone who has a pump or is getting a pump:

does it hurt?
is it easy for people to notice?
what if i don't like it?
what do i do if people are mean about it?
is there clothes that i can't wear because it will be visible?( im really into fashion, a clotheaholic???!!)

please answer my questions because i really need answers and if you have any questions for me, just start a convo with me & i will be happy to answer them!!! xx

Jessicasugar24

Dislikes
Needles!
I'm sooooo excited!! I'm getting an insulin pump near the end of may!!! I'm quite scared though.....I have lots of questions that i need to ask someone who has a pump or is getting a pump:

does it hurt?
what if i don't like it?
is there clothes that i can't wear because it will be visible?( im really into fashion, a clotheaholic???!!)

please answer my questions because i really need answers and if you have any questions for me, just start a convo with me & i will be happy to answer them!!! xx

Wow, I want to know these questions too!! What has made you go onto a pump?
Have you been diabetic for long?
Jessica x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well it was really hard to get used to at the start. and when i started high school it was quite difficult because i have to go to this room to do my injection and my friend who came with me wasnt in any of my classes. but then i told one girl that i was diabetic and she asked me questions, then it lead to her coming with me to do my injection every day. but i guess ive just got used to it xx

Jessicasugar24

Dislikes
Needles!
well it was really hard to get used to at the start. and when i started high school it was quite difficult because i have to go to this room to do my injection and my friend who came with me wasnt in any of my classes. but then i told one girl that i was diabetic and she asked me questions, then it lead to her coming with me to do my injection every day. but i guess ive just got used to it xx

Bless you, how old are you? Has anyone else got diabetes in your family? X

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im 12 years old and no one in my family has diabetes im the only one :( and sometimes i feel like the only one in the world with it x

Jessicasugar24

Dislikes
Needles!
Oh bless you,

Well my names jessica and I have has diabetes t1 since I was 16 months old, so I know how you can be feeling, some days it can feel like you are on your own. It is a case of knowing that there are others there for you xx

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi xXBeautycomeswithinXx,

I've been on a pump since last July and it's been the best thing for me. I have Medtronic Veo, so I can only provide answers as far as I know with that pump:

does it hurt? Sometimes I've found putting a new site in uncomfortable, and if you have a site in longer than recommended, it can begin to hurt. Most of the time, it doesn't hurt (it's like taking your injection, just once every few days). There are different types of cannula that you can get if you find the one you're initially supplied with uncomfortable.

is it easy for people to notice? Not really, it's small enough to slip in a pocket or slip into your bra (a personal preference for me as I wear a lot of dresses). I've had a couple of people notice when I've had a site on my arm and they've just asked what it is. But it's actually pretty subtle.

what if i don't like it? If you don't like it, you don't have to keep it. The NHS means that you can opt to have he treatment you want and in the location you want. Some people work really well with a pump, others try it and hate it. If you don't like it tell your DSN or doctor and go back onto injections.

what do i do if people are mean about it? People shouldn't be mean about it, anyone that is, is just a bully. I know it can be tough, especially if you feel subconscious about it, but the important people in your life will be nothing but understanding.

is there clothes that i can't wear because it will be visible? Nope, I've never had issues with the clothes I wear, you can buy holders that slip under your clothes to hide it if you have your pump in a certain place. I've had occasions where my site has been visible on
my leg because I was wearing leggings, but most of the time, you'll be the only person to notice. If you're comfortable, wear what you want. After a couple of months, you won't even notice the pump.

Hope this helps! Give me a message if there's anything else you want to ask! :)

Xxerinxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hey !
sorry I took so long to reply I only signed up
im on the pump ! the only clouthes that is visable is a crop top ! (im into fashion 2 )
sometimes it hurts but not as bad as the pen !
its is small I put it on my stomach as I normally put the canula in my belly or my leg :D
well the hospital gives you a trial first with the canula and then the proper thing and if u don't like it then they could take it back
people shouldn't be mean about it ! if they do tell someone !
I really hoped this helped im 10 now been diabetic since I was 6 I got the pump august last year !!! :D
if you need anything im hear to help !
from
erin x

Reactions: 2 people

teen-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
does it hurt?
Not really it stings when you first put the set in and sometimes it may hurt if you knock it or after its been in a few days. Mine also tends to be quite itchy when I first put it in

Not really, there's plenty of ways to hide it and when your eating its easier to hide then when you have to stop and do an injection

what if i don't like it?
As far as I know you can talk to your doctor and switch back to injections, as the pump I have was used my another girl for a few months before she changed her mind. But make sure you give it a good few months before making up your mind as it takes some getting used to

Tell them what it is and that you have to wear it to live, they kind of can't be mean about it then! Try to teach them a little about it as they probably don't have a clue
is there clothes that i can't wear because it will be visible?
Not really, theres always ways to hide it, in your pocket if you wearing jeans, on a leg strap if your wearing a skirt, or in the middle of you bra strap as nobody looks there anyway!

Let me know if you have any more questions :)

Lily06

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

does it hurt?
what if i don't like it?

No it dose not hert u will get used to it a lot,
Hope this helps?
;) I was dignosed when I was 4 now I am 8 :)

Lily06

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

does it hurt?
what if i don't like it?

And also if u want to wait a dress all u do is wair sorts underneath the dress nobody will nottes.
Nobody is mean to u about the pump all they do is say what is that and u say it's called a pump.
All my friends at school look after me and tell other people about it my friends treat me like a normal girl and veep me safe and if any one is mean to u about your pump they will get told off.
XXXX;)xxxx

Lily06