Advice on drinking alcohol safely with type 1 diabetes??

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles lol
Hi, I'm nearly three weeks diagnosed with type 1 diabetes so still have so much to learn .. I'm 18 in a few weeks and was planning to go out for a few alcoholic drinks with my friends but I'm scared incase something happens. Was just wondering if I could get some advice on drinking alcohol safely??

Thanks!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lots of practice;) but seriously I would have a couple of drinks home with your parents first, to see the effects on you, If that's not an option, a close friend
I guess you're scared of a hypo, more than killing your liver in one night. I'd keep BG a touch on the high side
some good tips on drinking
http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fi...-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/alcohol.html

From what I remember as a youth when I started to drink, 2 was plenty for me and I was half cut. So see how you go and 3 would be my max over the night

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

XIX

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're only going out for a few drinks (i.e. 2~3) then there shouldn't be too much a problem - just be really aware of how you're feeling and have something carby afterwards as the alcohol will make your blood glucose lower several hours after you've first drunk it. I did this anyway before diabetes as the carbs stopped me getting too drunk and reduced the hangover the next day - pizza/pasta is always a good bet. Or alternatively you could just have a sweet drink as in my personal experience stuff like cocktails or vodka and regular coke (vodka has no carbs) tends to "balance out" my BG levels. This is a good idea especially if you plan on going out to a club or somewhere where you'll be dancing through the night.

If you're going out to a pub or restaurant then testing regularly shouldn't be a problem (as opposed to a club), so that's always a safe option if you're unsure. Also, tell your friends about your diabetes (if you haven't already) so they know what to do if something does go wrong.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
If I was to say anything on this subject.. Try not to mix the drinks up. & stand your ground when you've had enough.
Yer friends will respect you for it in the long run..

You know the scenario.. "Let's do shots!" By this time my mates are too hammered to notice I didn't touch mine.. Someone always mops up the spare & inspects the weave on the carpet..! Lol

Have fun & happy birthday in a couple of weeks!?!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Personally I would speak with your DSN first about alcohol and bg management, just remember when you are out to test your bg regularly.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Be aware that when the liver is busy getting rid of alcohol it can't also release glycogen if needed to overcome a hypo so try to avoid going near to hypo levels and have the usual glucose handy in case.

Jamie95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Vodka is what I drink, no sugar in it and as long as you don't over do it and every now and again check your sugars, you'll be fine

iHs

If you can, keep to vodka and stay away from liebfraumilch as that will mess you up the next day. Also, try to alternate the drinks with fizzy mineral water with slice of lemon and then you wont get dehydrated and have bad hangover. Do eat a hotdog sausage or similar on yr way home and go to bed on bg no lower than 9mmol as you dont want to go hypo. Apart from that, enjoy yrself and dont get drunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles lol
I've been advised from my doctor not to drink any alcohol on my birthday. As my blood sugars are still not level :( I just can't seem to get them under 10 it's so frustrating ..

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like it might be like you were 7 and count quarters and halfs. Celebrate an 18 and a quarter birthday drinks with the girls in 3 months:banghead:
clever girl for taking notice of advise,
3 weeks diagnosed is real early, don't be too disappointed with 10 for now, it's not silly high and you aren't having a lot of hypos. slowly, slowly, catch the monkey [it's an old expression my mum used]

Reactions: Olihill99

paramedic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, unkindness, unfairness, bad manners
I've attended more morning-after DKA emergencies due to deydration (vomiting usually)
Hypos occasionally but rarely through alcohol.
Bag of chips or toast before bed will help.
Check BG regularly while drinking and dont be afraid to call 999 if you need us! Your not wasting our time! Diabetics deserve a drink too and we are as likely to be called to you wether you are drinking or not.

Nottslad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always remember my consultant telling me in my first meeting after being diagnosed, if I go out drinking then stick to Vodka and if its a mixer then vodka and diet coke/pepsi and always have some chips etc on way home.
I did ask if I could those on prescription but he looked at me in a way to say "no"... Still don't ask don't get :)

I'll probably get told off by a lot of members now for saying this but I would go out with your friends and enjoy your night, its your 18th and a big night and time in your life. Everyone remembers their 18th and what they did, maybe not the whole night but remembers they went out!

Ensure though that your have a good friend or two who are aware of the signs and what to do if you do go a bit funny.

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Make sure you end the night with a kebab and pitta lol!!! Alcohol drops your blood sugar and the carbs will help you keep stable throughout the night... I once had a nasty hypo after I had been drinking; level of 2.1 and I was still half cut and half asleep and it took me a good few minutes to work out what was happening, by which at the point I was drenched in sweat and seeing double.
I used to go out and drink weekly.... I would have a minimum of 10 double vodkas (I am not promoting this lol) but touch wood I was always aware of what I had to do in case I felt hypo.
Enjoy your birthday!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles lol
Aw thanks everyone! I will probably just go out and have fun, don't wanna stay in on my 18th haha .. So basically I just need to check my sugar levels when I'm out and make sure I ear on the way home :)

cad1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
U can drink just take you meter with you test often and if you are drinking pint I used to practice this was every 2pints get a packet of crisps same for spirits to test every 2hrs and just Dont over do it make shore as well that if 1 of your friends now's you when you have had a hypo and the deference between being drunk.but just take care and have a good time been a diabetic since birth that's 40 yes this year for me