Exercise

puppykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I've just been diagnosed with Impaired glucose intolerance. I've read that regular exercise is essential for sufferers of IGT, but the thing which worries me is I also suffer from very severe ibs pain which means I have no option but to spend most of my days curled up on the sofa. Most of the time I'm in so much pain that exercise is an impossibility.
I'll certainly manage to make changes to my diet, but regular exercise just isn't an option for me and I'm really concerned that the lack of exercise will increase my chances of becoming diabetic. Help!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Exercise helps but is not your only option. On the days you don't feel so bad, try and go for a walk or something. If not, try to reduce sugars and carbs to a minimum. Good luck ! Mo

puppykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Exercise helps but is not your only option. On the days you don't feel so bad, try and go for a walk or something. If not, try to reduce sugars and carbs to a minimum. Good luck ! Mo
Thanks Mo!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too suffered with IBS before being diagnosed with Type 2. Since changing to a LCHF diet - and especially since removing wheat from my diet - most of my symptoms have subsided. I'd really suggest you check out the FODMAPS diet for IBS - it also fits in very well with LCHF as outlined at the dietdoctor.com/lchf site.

Won't attempt to explain the FODMAPS acronym, but it is explained at the Monash University site:
http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/

Best wishes,

Reactions: 3 people

puppykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I too suffered with IBS before being diagnosed with Type 2. Since changing to a LCHF diet - and especially since removing wheat from my diet - most of my symptoms have subsided. I'd really suggest you check out the FODMAPS diet for IBS - it also fits in very well with LCHF as outlined at the dietdoctor.com/lchf site.

Won't attempt to explain the FODMAPS acronym, but it is explained at the Monash University site:
http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/

Best wishes,
Thanks for that!

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The other interesting thing about FODMAPS is that people can be sensitive to one, two or more of the various classes - it's only by testing the foods that you discover which ones set you off. The absolute worst for me are sugar alcohols/artificial sweeteners = fermentation factory on overdrive. Wheat was a close second. Capsicum causes me intense pain, yet tomatoes are fine.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have any experience of IBS, so I have no idea if this will help, but exercise doesn't have to be running marathons. We all need to get some cardio exercise - but that can be using the stairs more - choosing to go upstairs to a toilet on a different floor, of just running up and down a flight of stairs when you pass them during the day. And just walking more helps too. Park on the opposite side of the car park from where you want to go, and do a few lunges while you wait for the kettle to boil.

Just fit little bits in to your normal lifestyle, and believe me, it really starts to add up.

puppykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have any experience of IBS, so I have no idea if this will help, but exercise doesn't have to be running marathons. We all need to get some cardio exercise - but that can be using the stairs more - choosing to go upstairs to a toilet on a different floor, of just running up and down a flight of stairs when you pass them during the day. And just walking more helps too. Park on the opposite side of the car park from where you want to go, and do a few lunges while you wait for the kettle to boil.

Just fit little bits in to your normal lifestyle, and believe me, it really starts to add up.
Thanks Brunneria. I'll keep in mind your suggestions.

puppykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The other interesting thing about FODMAPS is that people can be sensitive to one, two or more of the various classes - it's only by testing the foods that you discover which ones set you off. The absolute worst for me are sugar alcohols/artificial sweeteners = fermentation factory on overdrive. Wheat was a close second. Capsicum causes me intense pain, yet tomatoes are fine.
Personally I couldn't survive without artificial sweeteners now that I've to cut my sugar consumption to a minimum!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I couldn't survive without artificial sweeteners now that I've to cut my sugar consumption to a minimum!
If it works for you, why not. But if you have IBS artificial sweeteners can be a nightmare.

There is also some evidence that while artificial sweeteners don't trigger BG rises, they can however be raising insulin - which is also problematic for diabetics. I wish they'd come out with an insulin meter as well as a BG meter.

puppykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If it works for you, why not. But if you have IBS artificial sweeteners can be a nightmare.

There is also some evidence that while artificial sweeteners don't trigger BG rises, they can however be raising insulin - which is also problematic for diabetics. I wish they'd come out with an insulin meter as well as a BG meter.
That's great news I must say!!:(

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, bummer I know. It's still debated pretty fiercely in some quarters. If you can tolerate stevia, it's a much better choice for a non-caloric sweetener than the fake chemistry experiments, IMO. I think aspartame was a failed fertilizer or insecticide that they noticed was uber sweet :eek:

puppykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, bummer I know. It's still debated pretty fiercely in some quarters. If you can tolerate stevia, it's a much better choice for a non-caloric sweetener than the fake chemistry experiments, IMO. I think aspartame was a failed fertilizer or insecticide that they noticed was uber sweet :eek:
Haven't heard of stevia!?:oops:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's made from a plant - has been used in Japan and other asian countries for yonks. There's another one that's made from tree bark - can't remember the name of it though.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
when you do feel like doing a bit of exercise.. you might find it will help with your IBS too. So I've been reading !

puppykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
when you do feel like doing a bit of exercise.. you might find it will help with your IBS too. So I've been reading !
Hi DiamondAsh. Yesterday I tried some exercise, but actually ended up in more pain.:( As if that weren't bad enough, I sprained my ankle too!!:oops:
You just can't win it seems.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
Hi DiamondAsh. Yesterday I tried some exercise, but actually ended up in more pain.:( As if that weren't bad enough, I sprained my ankle too!!:oops:
You just can't win it seems.
That's usually my story too... so I know just what you mean. My excuse is: You have to be fit to exercise! So I bought resistance bands and then you can be as gentle as you want to... Any exercise (movement) is a good thing. Every little helps!