Overactive Thyroid linked with Diabetes????

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows if having diabetes gives you a higher chance of developing an overactive thyroid??
I have had T1 diabetes for 5 months now and recently been really tired and lethargic all the time, I'm at the point now where I have to have a nap every afternoon to be able to stay up in the evenings (but only till 10pm as I start to get tired again then).
I am going to get my blood tested next week, but it would be nice to get some answers now if anyone has any information!?
Thank you in advance!
Beth x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Google will tell you but I suspect the answer is yes, however good luck with the blood test next week and hope they find the cause of your tiredness and lethargy.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dr Bernstein says Yes. Hyperthyroidism is commonly comorbid with diabetes. So much so that he tests all his (T1?) patients for it.

jodysd6

There is definitely a link with under active thyroid and type 1, I saw a stat today that something like up to 30% of female type 1's may be under active as one of the main causes of under active thyroid is hashimotos which is autoimmune like type 1. It is for this reason that it is recommended that thyroid is checked annually for type 1's. I have been utterly exhausted recently and my thyroid came back slightly off but nothing conclusive so they have said to retest in 3 months.

Ps I can't back up the 30% figure as I have seen lower but still significant figures elsewhere and I can't remember the source of that figure but my point is more that there is a link!

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh so I guess it's a strong possibility that it is that! I will let you know the result of my blood test!!!
Thank you for your help

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, yes they can be related.

This link has the 30% figure although it's worth turning on it's head and remembering that means 70% don't!
http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20130315/people-with-type-1-diabetes-at-risk-of-thyroid-disease
The symptoms are very nebulous and I think that some can be similar to those caused by highs and lows of blood glucose.
My major symptom was really a lack of motivation to do the things I used to do (and that of course affected other things.
Fortunately, if you have developed it the treatment is just a small pill and testing every now and then to get the right dose. It takes a while to 'kick' in. The biggest downside is that you have to remember to take it some time before you have breakfast. (makes early starts more difficult)
edit corrected percentage

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I feel very unmotivated to do the things I love , like my job for example! I'm a self employed gardener because it's what I love but recently I really can't bring myself to enjoy doing it! It's quite upsetting really! Feels more of a chore now :( I hate thAt feeling !

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
Definitely related to t1,
i was diagnosed t1 Jan 2014 and also have hyperthyroidism. I have an appointment with an endocrinologist soon about this so hopefully i will get some answers but for now i am enjoying the weight loss even if it dos come with a heavy exhaustion price tag :)

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
Yeah i'm good just want all the health problems to give me a break lol x how are you keeping? x

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well it's particularly annoying at the moment because I'm on a family holiday and all I feel like doing is curling up in bed and sleeping the whole week! hopefully get some answers when I get back home though! X

Reactions: 2 people