Dec 2014 update: New research on the Low Carb Diet in general practice

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Going low carb you can only replace the carbs with either fat or protein, I prefer to keep to a moderate protein high fat diet. Last time I worked it out fat was around 70% of my diet.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
So if, I have say a 1/4 quiche and rest of my diet is fruit and veg and was semi skimmed milk now full milk and a small handful of walnuts and a greek yogurt what else would you add?
This is what I have ate today. I added in two mugs of coffee with single cream.
Wasnt working today when I normally have a yum yum when I'm gardening..
Fruit was 2 pears and an apple. I wont eat anything else today.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today I have had, Greek yoghurt with a spoon of raw oats, scrambled eggs with spinach and cheese, baked chicken with bacon, cauliflower and one glass of red wine. Snacks were 1 mug of coffee with double cream and a handful of walnuts. Didn't eat any blocks of lard ;)

photo.PNG

Reactions: 4 people

mpe

The key is to realise it is just a starting point. Telling many newly diagnosed people to go cold turkey onto a sub 50g vlc regime is both unrealistic and of course people are naturally suspicious of giving up foods they've been told to believe are ok for diabetics. I was "taught" by the probably the most vociferous very low carb advocate this forum ever had (a T2 85% fat intake half marathon runner) yet he also advocated that 130g as a staring point to newly diagnosed people. I don't for one moment dispute that you may need to do a vlc diet to maintain your BG's but for many it can be a perfectly valid lifestyle choice not a necessity. The amount of carbs required to "eat to your meter" varies considerably person to person anything from sub 30g to around 200g a day in my experience.

One of the problems with the official advice is that it is very much "one size" fits all. (The other most obvious problem is that it pushes the most glucose rich foods. Or this may not be a problem if you interpret this as which foods to avoid the most...)

Not only do people differ greatly in their tolerance of dietary sugars there are also big differences in what they can "stomach".
At one extreme you'd have people who must have some kind of fake "bread", "pasta", etc. At the other there are those who'd embrace a meat only diet at the drop of a hat.

It is eating to your meter that counts not the diet you choose to follow that really matters imo

It's also important for people to come up with a diet they actually want to eat. Otherwise they are never going to stick to it.

Reactions: 9 people

mpe

The report definitely sums up my own experience of LCHF. Have forwarded it to my DSN. She showed an interest in LCHF but didn't seem to actually know much about it. Thank you.

There are a few oddities.
Like being anti cheese, when some are as low as 1g of lactose per kg.
Also whilst accepting that starchy foods often have a higher GI than "sugar" being more anti "sugar" than anti starch. (What the report also appears to miss is that polysacharides are the carbohydrates containing the most sugars.)

mpe

Thanks, Kate, very kind of you to get back. Interestingly, I read a couple of weeks ago that GPs had cash incentives to get patients on statins.

Possibly this isn't the only place the drug companies are throwing their cash around...

You may have seen a recent Italian study (Daily Telegraph, yesterday or the day before) that bergomet tablets ( bergoamot, an ingredient of Earl Grey tea) does everything that statins are supposed to do.

Presumably with many of the same "side effects". A good portion of which might be better described as "overdose effects"... Ironically the only good satins may do with respect to CVD may be a genuine side effect of being anti-inflamatory.

Reactions: 2 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks! Mille gracias and Tusen Tack!

One question only, no two actually: Why moderate fat intake and why easy on cheese? The cheeses I get contain next to no carbs at all and are very nice.

If we look at energy intake I aim at 75 %E from fat. Do you think that is too high?
Thanks! Mille gracias and Tusen Tack!

One question only, no two actually: Why moderate fat intake and why easy on cheese? The cheeses I get contain next to no carbs at all and are very nice.
Good question - most of the folk who were part of the study were overweight and their aim was help this as well as the diabetes- so they had to watch intake .I think someone else said earlier in this post about balancing fat intake with his bathroom scales.

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Also whilst accepting that starchy foods often have a higher GI than "sugar" being more anti "sugar" than anti starch. (What the report also appears to miss is that polysacharides are the carbohydrates containing the most sugars.)
Interesting perhaps we were more anti sugar than anti starch ? I thought we were both, though I do wonder if for folk at the start of their low carb journey who are on a lot of both it may be easier to eliminate sugar first and then move on to starch Mind you I know plenty of folk who did both very rapidly !

Mushroom

No, I don't like the part in Southport doctor's report about avoiding cheese. That isn't my experience of LCHF, if that is what you mean. I eat plenty of cheese and enjoy it. A piece of Cambazola fills me up. If there is none in the fridge for a snack, I tend not to eat anything.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks Robert72, have just realised thanks to your chart that my fitness pal does this.. So just checked in my food for today... Brilliant to see the graph with fats, protein and carb..

Is it possible to change their 55% carbs recommendation to your own % levels?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks Robert72, have just realised thanks to your chart that my fitness pal does this.. So just checked in my food for today... Brilliant to see the graph with fats, protein and carb..

ItalianKitten

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Iit may be easier to eliminate sugar first and then move on to starch

It makes sense. Psychologically speaking, I suspect it is much easier for people to give up on sugars than carbohydrates.

We've known for a long time that high sugar consumption isn't healthy and most people have, at one point or other, tried to stay off sweets. They are familiar with the concept and how it feels.

On the other hand, we had drummed into us how we should build our diet around "healthy" carbs. Greatly reducing or even entirely giving up on bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, is less common and a heavier commitment. For many it would be like navigating uncharted territory.

Reactions: 5 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

EDIT: Sorry, scrub that again... :confused:
If you go to goals and touch on one of Carbohydrates, Protein or Fat you should get a Macronutrients menu

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I might have to update, I have fitness hoals but nothing where it says "customise".. Will carry on checking as annoying that my carbs are set to 55%!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Mine doesnt look anything like that on my iphone!! Crikey.. I'm going to have to sort this out.