Stress and anxiety

Melissa.coleman

I got to have a ct scan on my kidney ureter and bladder today but the anxiety is pushing my levels up! Took the normal amount of insulin and metformin for what I eat and it's 17.6 this afternoon! Very frustrating... Anyone else find stress and anxiety does this to your sugar levels?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most definitely!
I find that when it's because of an event then as soon as it's all over with they return to normal so I don't tend to correct for it.

I hope it all goes well for you.

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nottslad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm the same, any stress or pressure and my sugars really go up.
Doesn't help in my line of work and trying to do 10 different projects at the same time as well as doing presentations and travelling to different sites across the country.
I'm often stressed and always fine my sugars are all over the place throughout the day until I get home or to my hotel and sit down for 30 minutes to get my breath back!
Depp breaths with me :)

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Definitely, stress will raise my blood glucose. And it's confusing because it feels like a hypo. And sometimes, stress does cause me a hypo. So when I'm feeling stressed I have to use the meter, not guesswork, and be prepared for either a high or a low.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Stress can do this to bg levels, you can do correction doses for when it occurs or include it in your meal-time insulin beforehand, Gary Scheiner discusses ways in which to cope with stress and bolus for it in his book.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
When I'm really stressed my pump can be on an extra 70% insulin to cover for it. And it's hit and miss - some bits of the day it will need more and later at night it may reduce and then through the might rise again. If only we could be chilled all the time but life's not like that!. At the moment I'm running at BSs of 15 in the afternoon and I'm using a temporary basal rate increase to try and reduce it. All down stress because of a brother who's being a total a*^% and me starting a new job yesterday .

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Yes - my favourite topic stress !!

This is where it can go pear shaped !! Try a walk in the park, meditation is also a good technique to lower stress levels - managing situations where you know you will be stressed with a little pre-planning can help keep it in check, so extra insulin or any of the above.

I find going in and out of meetings does this to me, as I then get worried about food/insulin/BG and then I find i'm rising.. can never win but as long as it's not happening on a too regular basis it's ok.

paramedic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, unkindness, unfairness, bad manners
Stress is biggest factor for me in losing control since diagnosis.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Yes ,definitely raises my bloods