Latest HBa1C test result of 37 (was 57 on diagnosis, type 2 in April 13)

Paulwbm

Hi Everyone

Not sure whether to celebrate or be concerned that I might not have been a diabetic in the first place.

I certainly still have many of the symptoms though (thirst, tiredness, toilet all the time...)

I have certainly earned the number though, tried hard to stick to a low carb diet (some treats along the way), lots of exercise (not enough). Lost approx 1.5 stone, now at target weight of 68KG). Healthier lifestyle for sure. Don't intend to go back.

I do not take any meds, apart from blood pressure tabs.

I was tested in April 13 (HBa1C = 58), then again after 2 weeks (57). Test in September showed 54. Latest test is 37 (sounds like an error but I'm assured that it is not).

Have not been to doctor about this result (yet), receptionist said "no action as in normal range".

Am I in remission? What about the symptoms?

I self test regularly and my waking level is between 5.4 and 6.0. After meals, 2 hour, below 7.4 mostly.

Any comments or similar performance story to share?

Look forward to hearing from the group, thank you in anticipation

Reactions: 2 people

Mushroom

Hi, I am same as you. Technically, I am now in 'normal range'. You are quite likely still 'diabetic' but just well controlled. Weight loss and low carb eating lowers blood sugars and does the job. If I went back to my previous weight and a high carb diet, I would 'become' diabetic again!

Paulwbm

Hi, I am same as you. Technically, I am now in 'normal range'. You are quite likely still 'diabetic' but just well controlled. Weight loss and low carb eating lowers blood sugars and does the job. If I went back to my previous weight and a high carb diet, I would 'become' diabetic again!

Hi Mushroom. Thank you for your reply. Well, that is good news, I think. I plan to keep it under control for as long as its possible to do so.

Does "well controlled" still mean having the symptoms, even if the levels are within the normal range? Do you still have any symptoms?

I still feel very thirsty, especially if I eat any carbs, and I try to keep the total down and always seek out wholegrain etc. The tiredness / lethargy is also a problem.

Do you use test strips? What are your levels like on waking?

I note that you are on high fat. How does this affect the triglyceride and LDH/LDL. levels?

Hope to hear from you again. Thank you Mushroom.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Well Done :) sounds like youve made all the right changes :) , personally my only sympton (thirst) stopped almost immediately after reducing my bg

i am technically eating lcHF diet and my cholesterol has fallen like a stone, just my experience though, im not recommending anything :)

keep up the good work

edit: i say technically to avoid a fight as im feeling zen tonight

Reactions: 4 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's all good news. You weren't in the high figures that most of us start with but you were higher than just prediabetic. Just carry on doing what you have been doing. If you can lose a bit more weight as an insurance policy and do a bit more exercise and still watch what you eat, see how it goes. You'll probably not see the high figures again. Just, don't lapse into bad old habits.

What you will be able to do though is eat normally if you are out somewhere. I eat fish and chips now and again. I have a beer. I'll even have an ice cream. What I won't do is have toast and marmelade every day from breakfast, have a pudding after lunch and after dinner and work my way through a packet of biscuits whilst watching the telly. It's those habit forming eating routines that gave you the diabetes in the first place and they will again if you let them.

Mushroom

Hi Mushroom. Thank you for your reply. Well, that is good news, I think. I plan to keep it under control for as long as its possible to do so.

Does "well controlled" still mean having the symptoms, even if the levels are within the normal range? Do you still have any symptoms?

I still feel very thirsty, especially if I eat any carbs, and I try to keep the total down and always seek out wholegrain etc. The tiredness / lethargy is also a problem.

Do you use test strips? What are your levels like on waking?

I note that you are on high fat. How does this affect the triglyceride and LDH/LDL. levels?

Hope to hear from you again. Thank you Mushroom.
Hi again. Trying to answer your questions.
1.'Well controlled, I would mean using your meter and either through carb or portion control your blood sugars are below 7.8mmol.
2. I don't have symptoms and the fact you mention eating carbs and feeling thirsty makes a difference, must show a link with sensitivity to higher blood sugars. I have a limited knowledge of causes of diabetes, but found this lecture very useful in terms of explaining control with weight loss. Prof Taylor is responsible for the 'Newcastle Diet' showing quick weight loss (usually through surgery but his is a strict diet/food restricion) improves diabetes.
http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94
3. I use strips. I bought me own meter. I started testing two hours after every meal and it helped me work out foods and portin sizes which raised my sugars. Two years on I only use them for new foods. I don't test in the morning as sugars are supposed to be naturally raised for diabetics anyway due to 'Dawn Phenomenon' - liver dumpping sugar. I believe some people take some carbs before bedtime and find it lowers their morning result.
4. Yep, high fat. That's where the energy source which would usually be from carbs. Two years ago on diagnosis, my ratio was 4.74, now 3.28. LDL was stayed same at 3.6. HDL was 1.14, now 1.77. Cholesterol was 5.4, now 5.8. Total cholesterol went up to 7.1 last year but that tends to happen during first months on LCHF. Trigs were 1.4, now 1.
I am not totally convinced about the recommended cholesterol levels and refuse statins anyway. My choice.
All done with weight loss and exercise. No meds.

Paulwbm

Hi Mushroom.

Thank you for your very informative replies. I'm certainly going to keep with the programme, I am just starting on Statins because my LDL/HDL / tri levels are not coming down enough, in fact they have gone up since my diagnosis.

I've also just been reading the recent debate about carbs and whether low carbing is good long term. Seems that there are no right answers in all of this.

Do you know whether it's possible to do a glucose tolerance test at home? Measured amount of glucose in water, strip test just prior and then at, say 1 hr intervals until in normal band. I'd be interested to see how far out of a normal response I might be.

Cheers

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Paulwbm

Thank you to all of the other good people who have responded. Very interesting information.

Great to hear that I can now have an occasional meal out without watching every forkful.

Anyone got any thoughts on a DIY glucose tolerance test? Worthwhile? Safe? Meaningful?

PS very sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone.

Paul

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App